cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking voicemail on 50/50 and $15 plans from your own phone without using minutes.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

On the $10 50/50 plan and the 100 minute $15 plan it costs minutes to check your voicemail. I was fooling around on my F1 Android phone last night. And I found out that you could use either Google hangouts and Google dialer combined, or TextNow to check your  PM voicemail over WiFi from your own phone without using minutes. Its pretty easy to do.

Simply dial your PM phone number from either app - dismiss the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to enable you to enter your password. - enter it - and viola you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when finished. No minutes used.

I don't have access to an iPhone to test if their version of hangouts can do it. Can someone please test it and post if it's possible. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Who are you to call my son a troll @will13am ? You are behaving like a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum; Without apparently any parental supervision. Is someone paying you to behave in this way? If you had a problem with the post, why not put it in the lounge? That is within your purview.  Maybe you should behave more like a William than a Willie.

@will13am wrote:

I wish I could lock this thread.  Please don't feed the troll any further.

@moalkhatib wrote:

Checking voicemail is free, no minutes deducted

True when dialing from a line other than your mobile.

False when dialing from your mobile.

moalkhatib
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Checking voicemail is free, no minutes deducted

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Here is a current list of all voicemail access numbers across Canada that I know of I updated recently. You can dial your own number, or one of these numbers that are a local call from a land line (press * during greeting) to access your voicemail without consuming your outgoing mobile minutes.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Updated-list-of-Voicemail-Access-Numbers/...

You can also consider using a 3rd party voicemail service such as youmail. You manually reconfigure your 3 "conditional" call forwards to one of their canadian numbers instead of the default Public Mobile/Telus voicemail deposit number. Then your voicemails can be delivered to you by e-mail, so you don't have to dial anywhere at all to listen to the sound file attachment. 20 messages per month will additionally be transcribed to text for free. This way, I don't even have to install their APP. https://www.youmail.com/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

I'm not sure what troll I should not be feeding.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Anonymous
Not applicable

While yes this is the same as using another phone to access voicemail...

another "trick" is to not use minutes for initial set up by going into the self-serve and resetting voicemail password which sets it to your 10 digit number and then using any exterior method as mentioned to set it up. ie. own-phone voip or a different phone.

Likely also mentioned in any number of past threads that will13am is suggesting.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Note that checking your voicemail consumes minutes only when you use your PM line to call.

It's free to check your voicemail from any other phone (including voip, landline, other cell phone, etc)

I haven't been on for a while, so I give you the benefit of the doubt.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Yes most of the services that offerr voicemail also offer the remote access retrieval, even the landlines.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Bravo!  Get an iPhone and make sure it works as well.  Report back and I will give your another bravo post.  Better yet use the search feature and find out how many times this has been covered in the community forum in the past and I will give you two bravo posts for every thread you are able to find.  Let me help you, I found this one with 3 pages of discussion.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Voice-Mail-usage-minutes/td-p/350922

Honestly, you need to find a more useful pursuit in life.  You can be helpful here, but only if there's somebody seeking help.  There's no point in pretending to be helpful by flooding the community forum with these troll posts.  The damage to your brand with this kind of nonsense far exceeds the value of your 30 bravo record.  

Need Help? Let's chat.