cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checked out koodo prepaid just for kicks...

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

... And they want $20 more per month for what I'll be signing up for here! Crazy... 

9 REPLIES 9

@Pawprints1986  All phones after December 2017 were legislated to be unlocked for free and/or provided unlocked. It's possible to have received a locked phone from older inventory in the first few months of 2018. But by 2019 all new phones provided by a mobile provider will be unlocked. If you want to test ask a friend to borrow their non telus network sim card and see if it works in the phone. Or ask another providers retail outlet for a test sim....just say you're thinking of switching and you want to see if it works.

I bought out the bfs phone from fido with six months left in the contract to switch to public mobile and the savings paid for the phone, he doubled the data in his plan, there was no longer a risk of overages (fido always found a way) and we saved $60 on top of paying for the phone buy out and the new pm plan. ($50 8.5gb)  If your mom doesn't use much data the savings can be really significant....like my roommates from $80 to $13 a month.

Keep this in mind....port out her number on the second or third day of her billing cycle. Her provider is mandated to count any portion of a billing cycle as an entire months billing cycle when calculating the ECF. As an example: the monthly bill is $60...$30 /plan and $30/device subsidy. You have 4 months left on the contract. You port out/close the account on the last day of month 5 with 4 months left you will pay 4x$30 ECF and 4x$0 plan=$120. If you port out on day 3 of month 4 you will pay the prorated monthly plan cost 3 days x $1 p/day=$3 + 3 months x $30 ECF=$90+$3=$93  You save an additional $27 as the plan cost is prorated on postpaid accounts and the ECF is calculated as whole months.

@Pawprints1986  Koodo phones will work without any issues on Public Mobile and do not have to be unlocked.

Pawprints1986

Are there ways to check on a phone itself if it's unlocked already ? We both have the same model, but I got mine unlocked already outright from best buy (to keep my cheaper plan - oh the irony! Lol), she got hers from koodo rep I think at best buy mobile store... So I know it would work on public, but just a matter of is it unlocked already and how much is owing. 

....I want to say she got it over a year ago? Ish... I might be wrong... 

rhbcc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Exactly - even though Public Mobile uses the same network TELUS has, Koodo functions in the same manner but differs in service since they have agent support and actual brick and mortar locations. It's important to note that Koodo is also an entry level cellphone provider like Freedom Mobile, Chattr (Rogers subsidiary).

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Going to be possibly switching my mom over too... But for now she still owes on her phone and it may be locked. Going to look further into it after this covid stuff hopefully clears up

Phones can be unlocked for free and this phone if she still owes on it should be unlocked already.  As well have her check the balance left owing on it, many times paying the bill out and switching to a plan here will cover that cost within months and get you saving money faster.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Going to be possibly switching my mom over too... But for now she still owes on her phone and it may be locked. Going to look further into it after this covid stuff hopefully clears up

Well, it couldn't hurt to check out what it'd cost to pay out the phone, and switch anyway, because depending on the numbers, it might STILL end up cheaper. As for the phone being locked, that's not an issue, since the providers HAVE TO supply an unlock code upon request.

Pawprints1986

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986  That extra $$$ is to pay for folks to answer the phones for support, speedier data delivery, and whatever other differences there may be.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

... And they want $20 more per month for what I'll be signing up for here! Crazy... 

Make sure to tell your family and friends and they'll $ave as well...and you'll get some "Refer a Friend" rewards if they use your referral code. Sweet deal huh.

Need Help? Let's chat.