cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chatr increasing rates by $5 on plans offered to some former Mobilicity customers

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
20 REPLIES 20

@Possman wrote:

I got this PM chat ID a while ago when I was considering changing but found that PM prices were much higher for the same features.  My plan is only $30/mth and going to $35 and I get 30 minutes US roaming, unlimited calling Canada and US calling, and 6gb data which is more than enough for my needs, and fast enough too for videos.  I also got an $80 bonus for auto payments.  The other nice thing was that they significanly expanded their unlimited zone coverage and now I can use it much further out than Toronto as far as Niagara Falls and more.

Though I'm pizt at Chatr increasing my rate almost 20%, way more than inflation and what's from stopping them doing it again every year.  I'll need a new phone soon so the low price will be irrelevant.  I haven't checked PM prices and features in a while but I will be checking now and see how they compare.

IMHO you are comparing apples and oranges and YMMV. If you are in a ChatR zone 99% of the time, have solid coverage and are happy with their 3G, good for you. Outside of the major centres PM has better province wide pricing (LD add-on is reasonably priced and lasts until used up) than ChatR's regular plans. I personally also appreciate PM's more flexible data options (plans and add-ons) and the fact that PM's 3G is actually throttled LTE.

Also, if I remember the fineprint correctly, your ChatR bonus is a one-time thing, rewards (auto pay, referral, community, loyalty) at PM are applied as long as you earn them.

As I said, each to their own and good for you for finding the provider and plan that meets your needs best.

Possman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got this PM chat ID a while ago when I was considering changing but found that PM prices were much higher for the same features.  My plan is only $30/mth and going to $35 and I get 30 minutes US roaming, unlimited calling Canada and US calling, and 6gb data which is more than enough for my needs, and fast enough too for videos.  I also got an $80 bonus for auto payments.  The other nice thing was that they significanly expanded their unlimited zone coverage and now I can use it much further out than Toronto as far as Niagara Falls and more.

Though I'm pizt at Chatr increasing my rate almost 20%, way more than inflation and what's from stopping them doing it again every year.  I'll need a new phone soon so the low price will be irrelevant.  I haven't checked PM prices and features in a while but I will be checking now and see how they compare.

Michael77

@casperr wrote:

I got my friend using Chatr to switch to PM because of this. She was definitely very happy with the improved coverage over Rogers networks

Nice to hear. Welcome to PM. 🙂

casperr
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I got my friend using Chatr to switch to PM because of this. She was definitely very happy with the improved coverage over Rogers networks

mattdxb

Chatr is one of those sub-brands that sounds like it's still stuck in 2010. Zoned plans are so weird. 

L4s4gne
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I was with Chatr for a few years then what bothers me the most was the lack of inbound and outbound calls regardless of where we are in Quebec or Canada

With Public Mobile, the option is listed on the terms and conditions, but at least it is there

kentnleung

i dont see why anyone would want to join chatr, period.

Past PM practice has shown, when the up the price of a plan held by anyone, there is a 30 day notice provided.

I believe, the only increase that has been applied via this practice, was earlier this year for Legacy and Pioneer members, on their very 'grandfathered' plans, prior to a date early Jan 2015 (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm still on my Promo 2016... I do not see a price change coming - nor do I think one will happen, as the recent Freedom Promo was the same offer.

Michael77

@MEU_21,

Very smart. 🙂

MEU_21

I was expecting the price increase, that's why I switched to PM. I hope it won't be the trend.

Michael77

@Acekiller wrote:

I just hope PM won't up my price.

@Acekiller,

I hope they don't too. 

Beartato
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Not just 3G, but 2 mbps 3G. I would have been happy with actual full 3G speeds, but throttled to 2 mbps with a price increase? Even with my $25 unlimited talk/data/text Back To School grandfathered plan, it was time to switch. Hello, LTE.

Many already knows rogers will increase their grandfather plans very soon.  They did it often if you know rogers' ethic.

Acekiller

I just hope PM won't up my price.

TaylorJW

I don't understand Chatr. I just can't see myself ever wanting to pay for 3G speed data again now that I've had LTE for a couple years. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Well the Public Mobile 2017 fall promo price went up $7 over 2016.  Each carrier brand is maintaining the same pricing levels.

Michael77

I definitely like the Telus network. 🙂

passiveegg

Everyone in PM should be happy with their plans because they give the cheapest for best service. PM is under telus coverage and they were seen to be the largest service and fasted lte. WOOOH for PM and TELUS

@imm1304 wrote:

I guess this raises the price to $40 for all those on grandfathered mobilicity plans.  

Its great that PM just launched lower prices.  I see an opportunity to get people we know to switch from Chatr to PM!  

"Right place at the right time" Smiley Happy

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I guess this raises the price to $40 for all those on grandfathered mobilicity plans.  

Its great that PM just launched lower prices.  I see an opportunity to get people we know to switch from Chatr to PM!  

Need Help? Let's chat.