cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing plans. Data speeds?

Jonny5ive
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am currently on the $60/month 6gh 4g lte plan. I Noticed they are offering 8gb's now and I could use more data. I want to switch plans but all the plans say 3G now. What's up with that?. When I set up my plan it said 4G LTE. Do they not offer 4G anymore?. I want to upgrade my data amount but not downgrade to 3G at the same time. 

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@luke11992 wrote:

Also, if you want to test your speed to make sure you're getting 4g speeds, just google "internet speed test" and you'll have many options.

BUT, beware of a couple of things:

1) Every speed test consumes data!  If you're getting full (not throttled) speeds and so some of these tests under good conditions, you can use up hundreds of MBs of data in a single test.  These all count against your monthly and/or add-on data amounts available.

2) There is always a "lag time" between changing plans with different speeds. In other words, if you switch from a "3G" speed to full, it can take up to about 3 days for the speed to increase, so don't be upsef if you see slower speeds still initially.  Conversely if you're going in the other direction, beware that you will still receive the full unthrottled speed for up to 3 days before the throttling kicks in, so don't celebrate if you're seeing "too fast" speeds, and beware especially of point #1 if you're testing during this period.  In general, you're better to wait at least 72 hours before you do any speed tests.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Also, if you want to test your speed to make sure you're getting 4g speeds, just google "internet speed test" and you'll have many options.

@mh1983 wrote: You could always keep your plan and add a data add on. That way, if your LTE plan data runs out, the 3G add on data will kick in and you can see if it's fast enough for you. Or just use it as a "throttled" data backup. The add on doesn't expire until you use it up and it'll carry over.

Just a small point of info: if you have an LTE plan any data add-on you purchase will also be LTE; and vice versa if you have 3G plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jonny5ive wrote:

I am currently on the $60/month 6gh 4g lte plan. I Noticed they are offering 8gb's now and I could use more data. I want to switch plans but all the plans say 3G now. What's up with that?. When I set up my plan it said 4G LTE. Do they not offer 4G anymore?. I want to upgrade my data amount but not downgrade to 3G at the same time. 

You could always keep your plan and add a data add on. That way, if your LTE plan data runs out, the 3G add on data will kick in and you can see if it's fast enough for you. Or just use it as a "throttled" data backup. The add on doesn't expire until you use it up and it'll carry over.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@geopublic wrote:

@Jonny5ive wrote:

@Jonny5ive  Unfortunately all the new plans are 3G. Best to keep your existing plan if full LTE speeds is a requirement.

Not entirely true. There's still a 1 gig 4G LTE plan -- not that that would help the OP but just wanted to correct that claim.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Jonny5ive wrote:

If you want to keep fast LTE but get more data, you would have to ask moderators to renew early when you run out or add data add-on.  You could also get a new account with 1GB data only only plan for $30 but then you have 2 phones to carry.

jonfirlotte

If you're using data for emails, messaging and casual browsing you won't notice, but if you're watching alot of videos or downloading anything you'll see it takes longer to load.

You should be able to see in your selfserve the details of your plan

The speed should be stated there

It doesn't look like pm will have any good lte deals any time soon, but i may be very very wrong.

If the speed is important hold on to it, if you let it go you won't be able to get it back

Do you have a friend with 3g plan who wouldn't mind letting you test it out and see if it's acceptable?

@Jonny5iveYou should able to verify on your overview screen in selfserve.

4G LTE was only availble via plan builder, if you had got a prepackaged plan then you won't have full speed LTE.

Jonny5ive
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So is my plan still 4G LTE since I got it when they were offering it?. 

tehowennathe

There isn't much of a difference. Sure it's slightly slower but not really noticable. It's not true 3G. It's LTE throttled to 3G speeds. If you keep your phone to LTE speeds it will be fine. 

I use my 3G 8GB plan for music streaming with no buffering. It handles Google maps and my weather app no issue at all. I think you will be fine if you do switch. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jonny5ive wrote:

@Jonny5ive  Unfortunately all the new plans are 3G. Best to keep your existing plan if full LTE speeds is a requirement.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jonny5ive public just recently got rid of the full lte plans.  All plans currently are lte plans throttled to 3Mbs.

Its actually not bad, most people are fine with the speeds.  Full HD video might me an issue but regar videos are fine 

Need Help? Let's chat.