cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change IP address?

Ematrix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It seems I was recently assigned an IP address that seems to be on Niantic's ban list. As of today, I can no longer authenticate login for Pokemon Go on mobile data. As Niantic has no support or method in which to get a hold of them, how would I go about requesting my ip address be rotated?

52 REPLIES 52

@Oliviawalters2 wrote:

I don't know how to change the ip on my phone and I can't get anyone to help me with it 

Turn mobile/celluar data off and then back on.

Oliviawalters2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I don't know how to change the ip on my phone and I can't get anyone to help me with it 

landf2000

As a further note, it always worked for me if I had any ip address but a 10.xx address.

lexcyn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Excellent! Glad it seems to be resolved. Ever since I got the Pokemon go plus I don't really look at my phone when playing haha.

Team Mystic!

kjmckenz

Yay! I notice that it's fixed for me too! Sweet!!  So happy to be back to playing (i.e. wasting my time unnecessarily) on a regular basis!

~ Team Valor ~

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
That's great news, thanks for the update.

J2xCL

Great, it seems they have the problem fixed. I switch back to LTE and have the PG on and off for a few times without the sign-in issue again.

Rockdaddy22
That's great news

lexcyn

As someone who works in IT, I feel ashamed ... I was posting the wrong IP addresses - I was posting the private IPs as opposed to the public one's ... so after some more testing, seems like they have fixed the problem. I'm wondering if it was just an internal networking issue rather than a Naintic/Pokemon issue.

I'm not sure how the Telus network is set up but it seems like with HSPA you get a 14x.x.x.x address and with LTE it's 20x.x.x.x. From there you are assigned a private address like the 10.x.x.x or 25.x.x.x. For what it's worth, I seem to be getting a 100.x.x.x or 25.x.x.x and not the 10.x.x.x that were seemingly the issue before.

Been trying off and on today while I am bored and so far so good.

lexcyn
This would depend on a lot of things... Like how many people play Pokemon go on Telus and the sub brands... How many of those people are getting assigned a bad IP. We probably won't know the extent of it, but my guess it's quite a few.

J2xCL

I wouldn't say it is on every PM user, but should be quite a lot. Me and my son having the pokemon go sign in problem on LTE network all the time, but my daughter just joined PM a month ago  and she never has the sign in problem on LTE with her LG G5, so it is hard to say how many got affected.

Rockdaddy22
I just wonder how many people this is really affecting

lexcyn
Someone in the previous linked Reddit thread contacted Telus and apparently they are aware... But the more people who contact them to complain, the higher priority the issue gets.

Not sure how we can complain via the PM side of things since it's not really thier fault.

Rockdaddy22
Does Telus have any response? Is this affecting all members, do we know

lexcyn
It must be large since this effects Telus as well as any sub brands like Koodo or PM. From the limited troubleshooting we've done it looks like niantic has just banned a whole range of IPs that Telus gives out to devices.

The problem is that even if you get a working IP, switching WiFi on then going out on data will assign you a different IP. Not sure if there's a way to force staying on a single IP.

Rockdaddy22
Wow this is just terrible, hopefully we get a fix ASAP, Telus likes to sell data, so I'm sure they're not happy about this.

Is this affecting all members, or only a small percentage?

lexcyn
Confirmed that does work. If you reboot with wcdma only and get a 25.x.x.x IP it will work. Any IP in the 10.x.x.x range will not connect.

I guess I can live with wcdma speeds for now until they get this fixed.

J2xCL

I couldn't connect after my first try of switching to wcdma(4G) from LTE.  I marked down my IP at LTE network from phone status it is 10.xxxx, then change it to wcdma and turned off wifi, reboot my phone, check my IP and it has been changed to 25.xxx, launch the Pokemon Go and it signs in without problem. I have tried it for a few times so far so good.  The app seems not running as smooth as I was on LTE in the last 2 months, gps sign spins more, but it is better than nothing. Hope PM have their LTE network fixed to work with Pokemon Go soon.

lexcyn
When I switch to wcdma instead of LTE I still can't connect.

Maybe we can see if it is the IP range? I'm always assigned a 10.x.x.x so maybe they blocked the whole range?? Or maybe there's a networking/routing issue on the actual Telus network in certain areas...

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just confirmed thta it works when LTE is turned off. It's gone on for days without a resolution.

lexcyn
Not a PM issue but a Telus issue. Someone had contacted them about if and it's currently waiting for investigation (see previous link to Reddit thread).

Since PM uses the Telus Network any subbrands are affected as well...

Not blaming Telus though. If niantic did ban a whole subnet of IPs that Telus uses that is a shady move on their part to stop GPS spoofing cheaters. I've submitted a request to thier help email as well... Well see what they say. I suggest everyone do the same and be sure to include your current IP address you are receiving from PM/Telus.

Rockdaddy22
This is hard to believe it's a Public Mobile issue, of course I could be very wrong. Any strong evidence you could point me to.

To be clear, are you guys saying Pokémon go doesn't work on Public Mobile LTE?

madakun905
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That's what I suspect too. I've sent an email to Niatic on the first day this happens but didn't hear anything back from them. I might switch away to public mobile if this persists as I found a similiar price at another carrier.

Unforunately my phone (note 4) doesn't have the capability to switch between LTE and 3 G. It's always stuck at 3G.

lexcyn
I tried that but still doesn't work. I suspect that it could be niantic issued an IP ban for people cheating and possibly banned a whole subnet, which is ridiculous but I wouldn't put it past them.

PBForMe

Found a fix for me.

I spend all of my time on 3G, so I switched to LTE, tried to log in, failed, switched back to 3G and now it works again.

So if you're using LTE try going to 3G and if you use 3G try using LTE. It seems to fix it somehow, maybe only temporarily. 

I've seen other posts about people toggling back and forth and it starts working so give it a shot if you are still having issues. 

lexcyn
Ok I thought I was going insane. I can connect via wifi 100% of the time but as soon as I switch to data I get unable to authenticate. Tried everything and I still get the error, but only on mobile data.

Sure hope Telus fixes this issue. Maybe the whole subnet got banned by niantic for people GPS spoofing who knows. 😞 But the game is pretty much useless until this is fixed.

PBForMe

Still happening to me, and I'm seeing now on Reddit some people posting about it happening in the United States on Cricket and some guy in Sweeden. 

Seems to be spreading as before it was only Telus users, although not widespread enough to get Niantics attention. Smiley Frustrated

landf2000

Switching from LTE to GSM / WCDMA network modes seems to have made it somewhat work. Maybe a 50/50% chance.

kjmckenz

I just tried switching back to LTE to play and I'm still getting the error.

Albeit, the error shows up faster now than it did when I first started experiencing issues, so... Maybe that's an improvement in the works somewhere?

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I am always on LTE . works fine. just loged into it. 

store is a bit slow but I already collected my coins today.

Swaping speeds could help - usually 3G is good enough for it. 

Need Help? Let's chat.