cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Cellular at sea

wait for this loophole to get shutdown tomorrow, but the other year-old bugs hang around waiting.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Acekiller, I wouldn't bet on that.  There is at least one other loophole in the system that has been around for a while and hasn't been fixed either.  It's related to provincial talk & LD.

Oracle

wrote:

@Korth @@@great info, we are prepaid however so we can not be charged anything. My understanding of roaming is that It simply  should not work

Edit : tagged wrong person

@mimmo_L If you are charged for the service it will be in your bill from the ship not Public Mobile.

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo_L I think what he was trying to say was the cruise ship itself may be billing you

Public would not

(alternatively, the cruise ship may not recognize Public Mobile since the SIM self identifies as Telus and it may indeed be a bug)

Mayor / Maire

@abTest bah you want to talk long term bugs? The data bug has not been fixed and that has been around since Telus first introduced SIM cards

Mayor / Maire

wrote:

@mimmo_L I think what he was trying to say was the cruise ship itself may be billing you

Public would not

(alternatively, the cruise ship may not recognize Public Mobile since the SIM self identifies as Telus and it may indeed be a bug)

I believe that is the case. @Luddite

I asked the staff and the cellular at sea is charged by my provider, they have nothing to do with it. So I will wait for PM to send me the bill.  Not that I am really making calls all day long.   

The other strange part  was that sending texts was considered US  roaming but not the calls.  

@kav2001c I believe the long-distance bug you are referring to is being able to receive calls while out of province, not sure the data one you mentioned.

Time to put on some sunscreen.hows the weather up north? 

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

wrote: 

Time to put on some sunscreen.hows the weather up north? 

It's cold and frigid with no signs of the sun, stay right where you are for as long as you can!

*Pops a vitamin D pill*

wrote:

I think what he was trying to say was the cruise ship itself may be billing you

Public would not

How would they correlate a passenger with an IMSI?

Mayor / Maire

No need to

He signed a contract with cruise company, they have a record of his cell phone number

Quite easy to bill him after the fact (even if swapping SIM into other device, eg Tablet)

I've never used cell service on a cruise but I do know many will bill the client directly

wrote:

How would they correlate a passenger with an IMSI?

That doesn't sound feasible to me. What if he lied and provided a fake number? What if his wife/kids brought their phones that the cruise ship wasn't aware of?

Unless there's some login portal (for WiFi -- not even for cellular), I don't see how it can be implemented. Maybe I'm just not understanding it correctly. Do you have an example of any of these cruise companies that directly bill cellular service?