cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellular Number you have called is not Assigned ?

mattdleonard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Just joined Public Mobile for the first time and having some troubles.

The Phone I'm using was previously on Rogers (Canada) locked.  I got Rogers to unlock the phone which has been completed as the phone now reconizes the Public Mobile sim card.

I when through the setup process on Public Mobile and picked to port my old Rogers phone number over to Public Mobile.

Everything seamed to go through OK.

The phone comes up now with the Public Mobile carrier name and 3G. 

You can call out on the phone fine and messaging seams to works both in and out, though I think it's defaulting to Apple's iMessage.

The problem is calling into the phone, when you do you get a voice message saying the 'The Cellular Number You Have Called is not Assigned'. 

Any ideas what the problem could be.  I'm still getting the problem 6 hours after setting everything up.

I Rogers account was closed the same time I asked to port over the old number as part of the setup process for Public Mobile.  Could it be this is the problem that it should have ported first and then when done closed the original acount?  If so what are my options.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

12 REPLIES 12

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mattdleonard wrote:

I think the number has gone as I closed the account before asking to port the number.

I think this is my bad.

Probably the best thing to do is just pick another number from Plan-and-Add-ons/change-phone-number...

Matt

If you have cancelled your services with your Previous Provider, How do you expect Public Mobile or any other Cell Phone Provider to Port your number?    When a number is cancelled you are no Longer the owner of it, So again how would Public Mobile or any other Provider Port a number that you no longer own? 

Its great that you’ve discovered the issue, as mentioned by someone else in the thread a

ready. You should give that member the solution, rather than your own post.

In this community, we help each other, and when successful solutions are reached, the proper resolution is awarded the solved status.

mattdleonard

OK I changed the number and it works straight away.

Problem fixed.

Thanks for everyones help.

Matt

mattdleonard

I think the number has gone as I closed the account before asking to port the number.

I think this is my bad.

Probably the best thing to do is just pick another number from Plan-and-Add-ons/change-phone-number...

Matt

mattdleonard

Many thanks !

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattdleonard- Unfortunately moderator response time is currently around 48 - 72 hrs.  Hand in there, it should all get sorted out soon.

mattdleonard

Hi,

This is still not working and although I've messaged the moderators still nothing back?

A little frustrating being a new customer.

Matt

@mattdleonard wrote:

The phone comes up now with the Public Mobile carrier name and 3G. 

You can call out on the phone fine and messaging seams to works both in and out, though I think it's defaulting to Apple's iMessage.

The problem is calling into the phone, when you do you get a voice message saying the 'The Cellular Number You Have Called is not Assigned'. 

Any ideas what the problem could be.  I'm still getting the problem 6 hours after setting everything up.

I Rogers account was closed the same time I asked to port over the old number as part of the setup process for Public Mobile.  Could it be this is the problem that it should have ported first and then when done closed the original acount?  If so what are my options.

The phone saying Public Mobile on the screen, calling out, and messaging out do not give any indication of porting sucesss.  These happen immediately, before the number even gets transfered.

When you say that your Rogers service was cancelled at the same time as the number transfer request, is that because you had Public Mobile request the number transfer, or did you contact Rogers to manually cancel?  If you did that, that was explain the number not assigned message because you can't transfered a a phone number from a cancelled service.

If your Rogers service only stopped working after you made the phone number transfer request, this means that Public Mobile "fudged" things up. That would be an indication that Rogers did authorize the phone number to be transfered to Public Mobile and that Public for some reason has not completed stuff on this end for whatever reason. 

If that's what happneed, you'll have to wait to have the moderators correct this for you.

mattdleonard

Many thanks, I have contacted the Moderators.

mattdleonard

Many thanks, I have contacted the Moderators.

BarryS
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mattdleonard Sometimes porting can take several hours, but it can also get stuck.  You can try toggling the “lost/stolen” tab as it will unstick the port and allow the number to transfer. If that fails then you should contact the mods for assistance. 

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
@mattdleonard

It sounds like your number ported over successfully, but there is a glitch.

Try sending a private message to the Moderators who can look into this issue.

Good luck!
Need Help? Let's chat.