cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell service

Kh69
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi. I’m in Alberta I’m wondering how the cell service is with pm in northern AB. AND BC. 

7 REPLIES 7

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Further to what @popping mentioned, AGT Mobility was a pioneering force (with government funding!) back when it was building out its initial network back in the 1980s, and that included very rural areas in northern Alberta.  AT&T CANTEL (now Rogers) wasn't quite as early to the game, but they too were quite active in building out a network back then, and have very good coverage today, as a result.

I think it's safe to say any of these major carriers will have you covered.  There will inevitably be a few holes here and there with any of them.  OpenSignal.com used to have crowd-sourced coverage maps that you could view through your browser, but it seems they've moved all this functionality to their Apps.  Definitely worthwhile to get the "OpenSignal - Speed Test & Maps" app... you can elect to contribute your phone's signals to the project's database or not, and the app itself is useful for seeing if you're in a deadspot or not, which carrier(s) have good signal, and even for finding free WiFi hotspots.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Kh69, if you've used any of the Bell or Telus carriers, you'll know the coverage is awesome.  It's the shared, largest network in the country.

If you don't connect to a  Telus or Bell tower, there just isn't one in that area.  Much wider, and superior coverage than Rogers, or Freedom.

Zz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

not sure. havent heard anything negative about AB, BC or anywhere in that area.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Kh69, have you looked at Public Mobile coverage map on their website? The coverage is decent, unless a dead zone. 

Zz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

not sure.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Kh69 wrote:

Hi. I’m in Alberta I’m wondering how the cell service is with pm in northern AB. AND BC. 

I am using PM in Calgary and my son is using PM in Vancouver downtown and Richmond.

I don't know about the coverage in northern AB.  

Telus was known as Alberta Government Telephone(AGT).  Alberta Government privatized AGT in 1991.  Then, it changed its name to Telus.  In 2003, Telus merged with BC Telecom.  The merged company is called Telus.  Telus moved its head quarter from Alberta to BC.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@Kh69 wrote:

Hi, you can look at the coverage map at the bottom of the website. PM uses Telus network so it is as good as Telus is.

Need Help? Let's chat.