cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrier unlocking

Ryleebains
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I’m trying to unlock a phone do I call my provider or the provider that the phone is locked to and how do I find out what carrier it is locked to

3 REPLIES 3

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ryleebains wrote:

If I’m trying to unlock a phone do I call my provider or the provider that the phone is locked to and how do I find out what carrier it is locked to

From your otheropost, you have a locked iPhone.  If you don't know which carrier provides your iPhone, you may try Apple store to unlock.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Is it a Canadian phone? If so find someone from Rogers/fido/chart or bell/virgin/lucky and put the one of those sims in the phone. If the phone doesn't say network locked sim or something similar you found the oggiginal carrier.  If from outside of Canada then not sure.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Ryleebains wrote:

@RyleebainsI used to be able to find out the lock status / original carrier on free imei checkers, now they all seem to charge $.50-$2 for this service. There are some apps that can do it and some various other methods depending on your phone model. Such as checking ROM code, boot up display image, branding, etc.

While carriers are no longer allowed to charge you for the unlocking fee, they are allowed to refuse to unlock your phone for various reasons. The stipulation in my experience has been you need to....

have purchased the phone directly and personally from them paid in full and can prove it. (not from kijiji, ebay, etc)

OR

You have an account with them that purchased the phone through a tab / term contract which is now fully paid and the account is STILL currently active and in good standing even if the particular phone is no longer in use / been replaced by an upgrade.

What is your phone model? It may be easier and cheaper to use a unlock generator tool / buy the unlock code from eBay. It's often free / only a few dollors for some phones.

Need Help? Let's chat.