cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive email to text at <phone#>@msg.telus.com from my web server

ThrZeke
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have a webserver and I'd like to receive some notifications from it under certain conditions.  Whenever my server attempts to send me an email it is rejected saying:

smtp; 554 imta02-abbrlw Telus E2SMS ESMTP server not available
   - POL101 - 176.9.yyy.xxx - kxiigA2GqKCLX

Here's the full bounce:

This is the mail system at host xxx.yyyyyy.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<##########@msg.telus.com>: host msgspamblk.glb.telus.com[206.75.88.38] refused
   to talk to me: 554 imta02-abbrlw Telus E2SMS ESMTP server not available -
   POL101 - 176.9.yyy.xxx - kxiigA2GqKCLX
Reporting-MTA: dns; xxx.yyyyyyy.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 1C2956540069
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; me@yyyyyy.com
Arrival-Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 21:40:34 +0100 (CET)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; ##########@msg.telus.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;##########@msg.telus.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; msgspamblk.glb.telus.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 imta02-abbrlw Telus E2SMS ESMTP server not available
   - POL101 - 176.9.yyy.xxx - kxiigA2GqKCLX

Subject: Tautulli (EGG)
Date: January 14, 2019 at 12:40:34 PM PST
To: ##########@msg.telus.com

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ThrZeke wrote:

I've corrected that reply.  I am using msg.telus.com.  The error msg shows msg.telus.com too.

Then unless someone else here is deeper into the server knowledge I'm thinking this isn't really a problem with Public Mobile. Probably not even a problem with Telus. I would go investigating elsewhere. But that's just me. I'm pointing my finger at your smtp server configuration or your smtp server providers' configuration.

The email to text works from an email client through a third-party smtp server (not the standard Telus one - and as far as I know as I don't have any Telus smtp server configured in my client and I use the Telus SmartHub service) which can relay this email to the sms system at Telus/Public Mobile that arrives at my phone looking like it came from (999)999-9999.

ThrZeke

@Anonymous wrote:

@ThrZeke wrote:

@slash407 wrote:

why do u run a local server? i hope u know that they are not secure channels

My webserver is located in a data center outside my home.  It serves websites among other things.  

The question is why is msg.telus.net rejecting mail from this webserver.  The error code is not descriptive enough to say why it's refusing mail from my web server.

Well...now you're confusing things. Your subject line says msg.telus.com. Your recent post here says msg.telus.net. .net is wrong. Make sure you have things straight with the .com.

I've corrected that reply.  I am using msg.telus.com.  The error msg shows msg.telus.com too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ThrZeke wrote:

@slash407 wrote:

My webserver is located in a data center outside my home.  It serves websites among other things.  

The question is why is msg.telus.net rejecting mail from this webserver.  The error code is not descriptive enough to say why it's refusing mail from my web server.

Well...now you're confusing things. Your subject line says msg.telus.com. Your recent post here says msg.telus.net. .net is wrong. Make sure you have things straight with the .com.

ThrZeke

@slash407 wrote:

The question is why is msg.telus.com rejecting mail from this webserver.  The error code is not descriptive enough to say why it's refusing mail from my web server.

edit: corrected msg.telus.net to msg.telus.com

@Tav, that's the reverse of what's being asked.  The OP is trying to send an email to their SMS client.  I sent one with @msg.telus.com to my SMS client - and it showed it came from my email client interface to my SMS client.

Perhaps sending an SMS to email shows exactly what you've described.  I'll have to test it, but I've never had a need arise to use just an SMS to send an email.

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Tav wrote:

I think its supposed to be 1234567890@mms.mb.telus.com

Thats how it shows up when I send a text to my email address.

I can also confirm @msg.telus.com is correct.

Not sure on the make up of your network - suggestions by @Anonymous sound advice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ThrZeke

Try it in an email client. It works for me.

Check your server smtp settings. Or make sure your external smtp server can do relays from another domain.

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think its supposed to be 1234567890@mms.mb.telus.com

Need Help? Let's chat.