cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling my Dads Account

JimC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I am the executor of my father's estate and I need access to his contacts, etc. on his phone. If I cancel is public account, will I loose access to those types of things on the device? Or will it just be that the text and talk service is shut off?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@JimCIt really depends on what kind of phone your dad had. Older pre smartphones contacts could be stored on the SIM card. But even an inactive SIM card you should be able to access the contact.

I would make sure you have access to all your dad's accounts and make sure none of them require the phone number to verify his identity before you close the account.

@JimC wrote:

Hello,

I am the executor of my father's estate and I need access to his contacts, etc. on his phone. If I cancel is public account, will I loose access to those types of things on the device? Or will it just be that the text and talk service is shut off?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry that you lost your dad recently. The contacts saved on this phone aren't related to the Public Mobile service. The phone names and phoen numbers of these people are store on the phone's storage area. 

If you wish the service to be cancelled, any autopay setting on the account would need to be disabled. After 90 days of the account being in suspended status, the account will get closed. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@JimC wrote:

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Canceling service will not make you lose your contacts as they are stored on your phone or even could be backed up to the cloud depending on what service he used, iCloud, OneDrive, google drive.  

To cancel Public Mobile you will need to log into his account and just remove the credit card on file for autopay, the plan will go into suspension when it doesn't automatically renew and 90 days after it just closes itself.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@JimC 

Sorry to hear about your loss.

If you cancel his account, you will still have access to the contents of his phone.  The phone just will not have any service  ie. text, call and data. 

Need Help? Let's chat.