cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Contract

gautam
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Hi, I would like to cancel my contract that started on November 29 under the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission rules (http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/prepay.htm). I have tried emailing support but haven't received a response since a week. Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29

@Kenneth22 wrote:

I'm not sure about the CRTC rules, but you can file a chargeback with your credit card, that's much easier.

You have paid PM for your mobile service, and being able to port your number is an essential component that. Also, having a lead time of 12 days to receive a response is unacceptable. If PM doesn't meet their obligation, you are entitled to a refund.

@Kenneth22 consumer protection law allows them up to 30 days. So 12 is well within parametres.

The chargeback with credit card would not be valid, and it is unlikely you would win (what basis would you use, that they started service later than you expected?)

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
PM has been adjusting start dates or crediting accounts for lost time.

Kenneth22

I'm not sure about the CRTC rules, but you can file a chargeback with your credit card, that's much easier.

You have paid PM for your mobile service, and being able to port your number is an essential component that. Also, having a lead time of 12 days to receive a response is unacceptable. If PM doesn't meet their obligation, you are entitled to a refund.

Rockdaddy22
Definitely not for prepaid, that's for sure.

@gautam wrote:

CRTC Wireless Codes say that I should be able to cancel the contract within 15 days of its start with a full refund. That's what I am looking for. I'll be lodging an official complaint unless this can get resolved soon.

No it does not!

Cat LOL

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@gautam wrote:
Hi, I would like to cancel my contract that started on November 29 under the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission rules (http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/prepay.htm). I have tried emailing support but haven't received a response since a week. Thanks!

I am curious under what basis you are referring to the CRTC?

From the link you have:

•  to cancel your contract at no cost after a maximum of two years - Public has no cost to cancel, just dont top up
  •  to cancel your contract and return your phone at no cost, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if you are unhappy with your service - Public never sold you a phone
  •  to have your phone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid in full for your phone - again, Public never sold you a phone
  •  to have your service suspended at no cost if your phone is lost or stolen - was your phone stolen?
  •  to receive a notification when you are roaming in a different country, telling you what the rates are for voice services, text messages, and data usage - Public does not allow roaming unless you paid for it
  •  to a minimum seven-day grace period in order to “top up” your prepaid card account and retain your balance - Public has a 89 day grace periods

Did you read what you linked? 

KK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
While the CRTC may decide you have no claim at end of day, if you frame your complaint correctly, they will forward your complaint to a real live human being at Public Mobile. The end result being that dealing with your service problem is expedited.

Most people, once they get over the atrocious customer service delays from the promo, will find themselves happy to remain Public Mobile clients for the great price and network. Speaking with a real live human being will help. So while you might not cancel, you can likely change your start date and get yhe service issues addressed in a more timely manner.

I am a fan of public mobile. I counsel sticking with them. However, I also think it is entirely reasonable to complain and agitate when it is taking so long to respond to client issues. The more avenues people use to complain.....the more likely PM is to actually address the issues with their software. The better it is in the future for all clients.

KK
@computergeek541
From personal experience, I can tell you they will adjudicate complaints for prepaid services. You just need to frame your complaint properly.

@KK wrote:
@Rockdaddy22
The CRTC does cover prepaid cellular services. The will accept and adjudicate complaints for prepaid cellular services.
Rocky is correct.  That isn't the correct organization to file a complaint with and they will not do anything but refer you to the CCT S.

KK
@Rockdaddy22
The CRTC does cover prepaid cellular services. The will accept and adjudicate complaints for prepaid cellular services.

@gautamsorry to hear that.

Rockdaddy22
CRTC isn't even the right place to complain

Rockdaddy22
When they fix the account they'll credit you for lost time.

There must be some frustrated customers in pass some weeks.  Wondering if public mobile will refund voluntarily.  Since many of them have no service.  

Subbanator96

Interesting, id agree to the confusion between the "no cost" for up to 15 days, not sure if its for the plan and phone price orjust the plan price. Although its good to know! Thanks for posting this, sorry you've been having so much trouble.

zoomzoom87
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Too bad, so sad. It really is a great service, if it's working.

KK
@guatam

You have to file your complaint with the "crtc". You can file online.

XJin

@Rockdaddy22 Were you replying to me? If yes, No, what I copied was from prepaid section.

Rockdaddy22
This is prepaid. That is for post paid month to month.

@gautam, when did you register, and what are your issues.

Have you asked for help with your services yet?  I see you're new to the community forum only today, so if it's a port not yet completed, this could be fine by morning.

we are trying to help you.  

Rockdaddy22
Come back around 9am tomorrow maybe we can help you out.

XJin
CRTC Wireless Codes say that I should be able to cancel the contract within 15 days of its start with a full refund. That's what I am looking for. I'll be lodging an official complaint unless this can get resolved soon.

I think you understand this wrong.

What they are saying is "to cancel your contract and return your phone at no cost, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if you are unhappy with your service", so means is you contracted a phone with the plan, and you returned the phone within 15 days, there should be no penalty charge for the cancellation and no charge for remaining balance of the contracted phone due to you break your contract. Nothing says refund and you did not contract a phone with PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

UDP7

@gautam I suggest you create a thread tagging a mod (Shazia_K) tomorrow around noon. That's where I see people's problems get resolved. 

gautam

Rockdaddy22
You'll get what you paid for just please be patient

gautam

I did, my support request is #1492-5268.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Go right ahead.  There is nothing stopping you from walking away.  You have paid for your service, and as this is prepaid, there is no refund.

if you choose to stay, because your number port is still in limbo, the moderators have been restarting service as of the date they are fully functional, so all is not lost.

if you have already sent a moderator a PM, freat, it is in the queue to be addressed.  Current backlog is around 12 days as of the last update, which I'm sorry, was unfortunately more than a week ago.

I know the wait is frustrating, and I'm sure you have a backup plan in place, so I hope when your service is restored for you, your time with Public Mobile will be worth the wait.

Rockdaddy22
Send an email through contact us.

UDP7

Good luck with that.

Need Help? Let's chat.