cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada: A People's History (from 15,000 BC to 1990 AD)

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

Canada: A People's History is a 17-episode, 32-hour documentary series, produced by, and aired on, CBC Television.

Considering that there are at least 2 community members from the States, and in light of demographics that many Canadians were not born here, I highly recommend the series, as they should know Canada's history, both admirable and shameful. It is available on YouTube. The series is not politically correct in that it does not gloss over the discrimination against indigenous peoples, Chinese, Jews, Japanese, Blacks, Metis, Acadians, and French Canadians amongst others.

The series also describes in detail how the French (from France) and those from New France (now Quebec) developed extensive trading relationships with indigenous peoples, the latter of whom were instrumental in rebuffing armed attacks by would-be invaders, thus ensuring that Canada remained intact.

I know that 32 hours is long, but I guarantee that every minute is worth watching.

Martin

17 REPLIES 17

Martin
Legend
Legend

Deleted by Martin pursuant to snopes.com.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for that @Martin...pardon me while I go and scream Robot surprised

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @youbme,

For nightmares, think of Donnie as the POTUS, and Sarah Palin as Veep. Now that's scary!

youbme

LOL!

Regarding Donnie, I figured  His Trumpness would feel proud to have pushed out any current or potential critics of his State...though rational or predictable action is not exactly his strong suit.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @youbme,

When I initially read, "... women we came to Canada ...", I immediately thought of American exceptionalism, and that you expected a chapter or two to be written about your coming north, in Canada: A People's History. LOL!

With regard to Donnie, it's best that you not mock him. He may buy his way to becoming the POTUS, and, if so, all bets are off in terms of what he may do, especially to those deemed enemies of the state.

youbme

Oh dear, auto correct is quite special...  Yes,  "when"  not" women". I'm trying to imagine what the context would be for women coming to Canada and a people's history, arguably 3rd or 4th wave feminism?? Escaping from Trumperica? A few possibilities...

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi @youbme,

I'm confused by the phrase "... women we came to Canada in 2009, ...".

Please clarify.

Thank you.

Edit: Should "women" be "when"?

Addendum: I downloaded Howard Zinn's book. I look forward to reading it. Thank you for referencing it.

youbme

Thanks for the heads up @Martin!  It's funny, when we came to Canada in 2009, I looked for something similar to Howard Zinn's, A People's History of the United States, but no one seems to have any idea... Granted this one is a bit different from Zinn's work, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

On another note, I'm feeling very Canadian this morning with the -40c windchill, we've been spoiled this winter in the Ottawa valley...

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @imm1304,

You're welcome.

I have no doubt that the series will be worth your time.

Cheers.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Gread share, @Martin!  It will probably take me a few months but I will try and watch the series.

For those interested, here is a link to the playlist on youtube which includes the entire series:

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hello,

There's one tradition that was not mentioned: go to a shack in Quebec's Eastern Townships; have the owner throw freshly boiled maple syrup onto snow; and, consume it. 🙂

@Dave_M: You're welcome!

Ha - done those! Except for the last one 🙂

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

This is pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

These are the things you need to learn/try after 1990 when this series ends:

• Say sorry just for the sake of it
  • Finish a bunch of sentences with "eh?"
  • Go to a hockey game
  • Enjoy a poutine
  • Eat a bottle of maple syrup
  • Go ice fishing
  • Meet the great great grandsone of the person who brought the garden gnome to the UK

Have an amazing day 😆

@Martin Will do. Thanks for the tip!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi again 778,

If you want to learn more about Canada, I highly recommend the award-winning (including Oscars) National Film Board of Canada, at www.nfb.ca.

Just as the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) is independent of federal control, so is the NFB.

FYI.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi 778,

I'm aware that you've lived in countries in addition to the USA. Considering that you resided there before coming north, you are indeed one of the community members "from the States".

You're quite welcome for the recommendation.

Though 32-hours long, I've watched the documentary twice, and plan to do so again in a few months.

ENJOY!

Mayor / Maire

@Martin Am I one of the community members "from the States" that you are referring to? If so, thanks for remembering that about me! 🙂

However, I've lived in so many different continents, that I don't consider myself to be from any one country in particular, at this point.

That said, I have been meaning to learn more about colonialism and its interactions with First peoples here in Canada. I will be sure to check out this documentary series - thank you so much for the recommendation!

Need Help? Let's chat.