cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t make or receive calls, but data and texting is fine

Gene2u
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m on vacation from Manitoba to Newfoundland. I’m currently in central Newfoundland, in a small town, but currently have full bars on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Data works, texts work.  Try phone calls, it attempts to call, but there are no ringing, just silence,  the phone says “Calling Angela” but nothing ever happens.  I wonder if it’s a network issue, lots of people around here complain about similar issues.  My wife is on Koodo and she can’t call either, but her iPhone SE eventually suggests Wi-Fi calling.

Any ideas?  I could call back in MB

23 REPLIES 23

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jor123 wrote:

It seems like most new small cells are LTE only, which isn't a problem in cities when there are still HSPA sites in range so a phone will just connect to one of them for a call.. but in rural areas where the LTE site is the only one in range it's not good.

A simple fix would be to allow us to use volte.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It seems like most new small cells are LTE only, which isn't a problem in cities when there are still HSPA sites in range so a phone will just connect to one of them for a call.. but in rural areas where the LTE site is the only one in range it's not good.

torontokris

@Gene2u wrote:

I agree, great thread!  I was surprised the answer was so interesting and I learned a lot.

Agreed as well. Originally I was thinking it was because the original poster only had province wide calling etc... Which still allows text data to work Canada wide. But then there was no message just dead air and Koodo didn't work either.

Hopefully Telus/Koodo/PM are aware of these LTE only towers if they become widespread in the future we won't be able to use them.

Gene2u

I agree, great thread!  I was surprised the answer was so interesting and I learned a lot.

smp99

Great thread. We are going to Nfld next week and driving and staying in that area. So glad I was made aware of this. 

Thanks 

@Master2001 please don't make things up. There are multiple sites in the network that are LTE only.

Not only that, VoLTE is not enabled for any PM subscribers yet, regardless of the phone's capability.

Master2001
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your phone should work, check the configurarion of your phone

How to change the network mode on my Apple iPhone 7 Plus:

https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/Apple-iPhone-7-Plus.how_to_change_t...

jor123

@Master2001 wrote:

None of Bell or Telus tower only accept LTE. When on voice call, phone switch on “4G HSPA+” even if you are withing 4G LTE coverage.
Voice will use LTE only if VoLTE is enable on the phone and only new phone can do VoLTE.

This site is a LTE only small cell that doesn't broadcast any 3G. There are no other 3G sites in range so the phone will just go to no service.

Master2001
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

None of Bell or Telus tower only accept LTE. When on voice call, phone switch on “4G HSPA+” even if you are withing 4G LTE coverage.
Voice will use LTE only if VoLTE is enable on the phone and only new phone can do VoLTE.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Gene2u Just download Hangouts dialer and make calls across NA for free using Data.

jor123

@Gene2u wrote:

@sheytoon wrote:

Where are you specifically? Bell's newer sites are LTE only, which means zero voice service on Public Mobile.

VoLTE will work on the main brands (Telus, Bell, Koodo, Virgin).

Thanks sheytoon,

That might very well be the problem.  I’m in Point Leamington, a small town on the coast northeast  of Grand Falls-Windsor.  The towers here are quite new (about two years ago), I remember in past years there was no coverage, or people would have to sit on a tall hill to get service.  The people I’m visiting are with Bell and they have full service, even calls 😉

Yeah, the small new LTE site in Point Leamington has no HSPA at all so PM voice calls wouldn't work. It sucks we can't take advantage of network expansions now if Bell is just going to deploy on LTE...

@jor123 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

@mh1983Public Mobile needs 3G connection for voice and SMS.

SMS works on LTE, doesn't it?

I believe there is a LTE only cell site in Point Leamington and another somewhere around Gander (Lumdsen)? 

@jor123 Yes, you are correct SMS works over LTE.

Gene2u

@jor123 wrote:

@GinYVR wrote:

I believe there is a LTE only cell site in Point Leamington and another somewhere around Gander (Lumdsen)? 

Ha!  So cool that you mentioned Point Leamington before I had the chance. Cheers!

@mh1983 wrote:

Wow, this stinks. What if the phone is set to LTE? Even if it connects to PM's throttled LTE, would voice not work? Will PM look at adopting LTE more widely at some point? 

If the phone is set to LTE, it will provide data and SMS only. There would be no voice. It's up to Telus to decide when they want to allow VoLTE for PM subscribers.

@GinYVR wrote:

Voice needs 3G, but SMS works on LTE.

Gene2u

@sheytoon wrote:

Where are you specifically? Bell's newer sites are LTE only, which means zero voice service on Public Mobile.

Thanks sheytoon,

That might very well be the problem.  I’m in Point Leamington, a small town on the coast northeast  of Grand Falls-Windsor.  The towers here are quite new (about two years ago), I remember in past years there was no coverage, or people would have to sit on a tall hill to get service.  The people I’m visiting are with Bell and they have full service, even calls 😉

jor123

@GinYVR wrote:

mh1983

@GinYVR wrote:

That's disappointing, but thanks for confirming.

mh1983

@sheytoon wrote:

Wow, this stinks. What if the phone is set to LTE? Even if it connects to PM's throttled LTE, would voice not work?

Will PM look at adopting LTE more widely at some point? 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Gene2uOne possibility is you have LTE connection but no 3G connection which voice requires. I am not sure there is anything much you can do, other than hoping it is a temporary glitch.

VoLTE will work on the main brands (Telus, Bell, Koodo, Virgin) on approved phones.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Gene2u wrote:

I’m on vacation from Manitoba to Newfoundland. I’m currently in central Newfoundland, in a small town, but currently have full bars on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Data works, texts work.  Try phone calls, it attempts to call, but there are no ringing, just silence,  the phone says “Calling Angela” but nothing ever happens.  I wonder if it’s a network issue, lots of people around here complain about similar issues.  My wife is on Koodo and she can’t call either, but her iPhone SE eventually suggests Wi-Fi calling.

Any ideas?  I could call back in MB

You could try restarting your phone, but if others are also having similar issues I wonder if this is another system glitch.

Need Help? Let's chat.