cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get Data only for use as a "prepaid pay as you go" tablet plan?

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thinking about using Public mobile. What I'm looking for is a tablet data-only plan.

But I don't want recurring monthly charges unlike what is offered by other service providers that go on a monthly plan (although you can cancel them every month).

I don't use tablet data very often outside of wifi zones, so I want a prepaid pay as you go plan that can be activated when needed and stay inactivated for long periods when not in use.

Is Public Mobile good for this?

So I understand ordering a SIM is free. Can I use this service as a pay as you go data only plan? Basically I just log onto the account, pay for a set period, and it works right away. After that period is over, it cuts off service automatically. You won't be in debt or sent to collections or anything. Then until the next time you need it, just top it off and you get data again. There will not be any monthly charges of any kind during inactive periods. Is that how it works here?

I've heard someone mention in anotther forum that you must have call selected. You can't do data only? Is that true?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

@20001000 PAYGO very hard to find as data only. Only two I know of are:

- iroam.com has data only SIM available online for shippimg to Canada

- giffgaff.com is based in UK so other countries are actually roaming but they only ship to a UK address

Both are very expensive; as in at least $0.65/MB and up but pure PAYGO.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Great explanation @YH.  With PM being a PREpaided-only service, you will never have overages.  Instead, you will be cut-off if you go over your plan amount.  

EDIT:  fixed typo where I said you'd never have outages--should have said never have overages.  I guess I hadn't had my morning coffee yet....!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

YH
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
You can play around by selecting the plans on this link: http://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans You will see that you can choose data without talk. What's great with public mobile is that you CAN'T go over your data so there is no extra charge. You use up to the amount of data you bought. If you need more data during the period of selection, you can buy add-ons, which the data will not expire as long as your account stays active. Ive been with public mobile for less than a month, and so far it's been great. I dont need to worry about extra charge and the data reception is so far very good as they use Telus 4G LTE network.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Yes you can pick data only for 10, 30 or 90 days period. But if you don't pay after a period expires, your account can stay active for 90 days or else it becomes suspended. 

You can also buy 1 GB add-on that doesn't expire as long as you have your account active. 

Need Help? Let's chat.