cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls slow to connect

Mreidy16
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi family,

I joined PM this month and noticed that it takes 30-45 seconds of dead air before my outgoing calls connect and start ringing. Is this normal? It didn't happen with my previous provider 

7 REPLIES 7

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Mreidy16 is it actually taking 30-45 seconds? That would be excessive. Is it happening to all numbers?

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@88cranston wrote:

@Mreidy16 wrote:

Hi family,

I joined PM this month and noticed that it takes 30-45 seconds of dead air before my outgoing calls connect and start ringing. Is this normal? It didn't happen with my previous provider 

I find that too. Both when I use Telus or PM. I call my brother who is on Rogers. The phone rings and then dead air. I expect when I call he would say hello. But after the dead air, I say hello and he is there. So is it dead air or poor phone etiquette?

You called from PM to what cell service?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@oglat wrote:

You should contact the moderators

@PAULRANG18 wrote:

It could be a technical issue with PM or an issue on the receiving end. A moderator could let you know and resolve it.

@oglat @PAULRANG18 this isn't anything that needs a moderator issue.

@Mreidy16 what phone are you using and who were you with before?  I would bet a significant sum of money that your previous carrier supported VoLTE (voice over LTE) with your phone.  VoLTE calls tend to connect much quicker, as the phone does not need to drop down from LTE to 3G to make a (non-VoLTE) call.  PM does not offer VoLTE on any model of phone.  You could try forcing your phone down to 3G network only (W-CDMA/UMTS) to see if that helps, but otherwise, this is just something you'll have to get used to unfortunately.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Mreidy16 wrote:

Hi family,

I find that too. Both when I use Telus or PM. I call my brother who is on Rogers. The phone rings and then dead air. I expect when I call he would say hello. But after the dead air, I say hello and he is there. So is it dead air or poor phone etiquette?

You called from PM to what cell service?

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It could be a technical issue with PM or an issue on the receiving end. A moderator could let you know and resolve it.

@Mreidy16 wrote:

This may not be anything on the Public Mobile end, although it could be. I can't remember which Public Mobile does, but some carriers do not let the outgoing caller hear a ringing sound until the receiving caller's phone is found by the network.

If someone at the other end abrubtly looses signal, it ends up being possible that the receiving network doesn't know to send the call directly to voicemail.

In some cases, the outgoing call network will produce a ringing sound for the outgoing caller immediately and  this can result in hearing many rings even thougb the receiver never had a chance to answer.

Is this happening for all calls?

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You should contact the moderators

Need Help? Let's chat.