cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling home to Canada from the US

Aprildugauy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My current plan does not have US calling.  Traveling to the US for a week. If I upgrade to the plan that has unlimited Canada and us talk, would I be able to call home for no extra charge? And am I able to change my plan back to the original plan afterwards?

16 REPLIES 16

@Old_Dog wrote:

Doess the unlimited international text included with the $15 plan allow you to send texts while in the US? 

Does it allow you to recieve texts or do you need the roaming plan?

With the $15 plan not work at all when you cross the border, similar to what happens with a tracphone when you cross back into Canada?

U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle
Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle
Unlimited Talk and International Text for just $15 for 10 days.
U.S. Talk Only
Unlimited Talk for just $8 for 10 days.
U.S. Text Only
Unlimited International Text for just $8 for 10 days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Old_Dog wrote:

Doess the unlimited international text included with the $15 plan allow you to send texts while in the US? 

With the $15 plan not work at all when you cross the border, similar to what happens with a tracphone when you cross back into Canada?

No add-on to receive texts while in U.S. you need a roaming add-on to send.

It has also been observed that incoming calls will make it. But both are unofficial so therefore could change without notice.

@Old_Dog wrote:

No add-on to receive texts while in U.S. you need a roaming add-on to send.

Old_Dog

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The US Roaming Talk add-on allows you make/receive (unlimited) calls to US and Canada while in the US.

Old_Dog

I would like to confirm that a US roaming add on allows you to make calls back to Canada.

I don't see where it says that anywhere. It says unlimited talk but does that mean just inside the US or does it include calling from the US to Canada?

@goldilock wrote:

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post this so if not, delete it.  For those who have concerns or worries about travel to USA and wanting to call back Canada, you can install a free talk app on your phone or tablet like "Fongo" (free long distance to most cities in Canada) and choose a local number (then use it to call back home for free) or "Talkatone" app which has free long distance in usa and canada calls to cells and landlines. There are lots of similar apps for free. You could use an app to make calls back home and to receive calls on it (even to have on phone as a backup). Both have free voice mail and caller id too. If you don't have a data plan the apps work on wifi 

Yes, these apps will work on Wi-Fi, but I'm not sure how many people would install these programs for outgoing calls.  I see the main advantage of Fongo as being able to receive calls.

Internet apps are a good backup, although with this $60 plan, both incoming and outgoing calls should work while in the U.S.

If it's only outgoing calls that are needed, I believe that Hangouts or Alexa might be more popular due to many people not needing to sign up for another account.

hasan9800
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Add the

+tax plus the

+currency conversions,

+the price of the sim card

On top of the price plan and it needs data too and unlimited calling back to Canada. 

Also let your friends know your USA number. 

I know this stuff, I was using AT&T prepaid. It can get up thereSmiley Happy

skrdan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Without all the hassles -  just pick up a disposable phone in the USA and you can then call out to Canada or wherever.

They're cheap and have them starting at prices at $20.00 and up depending on how long you're in town and if you want data,text,etc.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Aprildugauy wrote:

My current plan does not have US calling.  Traveling to the US for a week. If I upgrade to the plan that has unlimited Canada and us talk, would I be able to call home for no extra charge? And am I able to change my plan back to the original plan afterwards?

@Aprildugauy as some others have mentioned, in your case you are likely better to look at the US Roaming add-ons.  If all you want it to be able to make and receive calls, then the $8 10-day US Roaming Talk add-on is probably a great fit.  The $60 plan is more useful for tolks that travel to the US fairly regularly.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@goldilock wrote:

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post this so if not, delete it.  For those who have concerns or worries about travel to USA and wanting to call back Canada, you can install a free talk app on your phone or tablet like "Fongo" (free long distance to most cities in Canada) and choose a local number (then use it to call back home for free) or "Talkatone" app which has free long distance in usa and canada calls to cells and landlines. There are lots of similar apps for free. You could use an app to make calls back home and to receive calls on it (even to have on phone as a backup). Both have free voice mail and caller id too. If you don't have a data plan the apps work on wifi 

It's okay to mention other services here. Public Mobile doesn't enforce any stifling of the Community when it comes to even direct competitor favouring posts. Suggesting backup options to other users is perfectly fine.

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

hasan9800
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@computergeek541 is correct. Thats why in your PM account when you change your plan it first advise you that your change will happen on the "Cycle Date". That is to protect you from being overcharged. 

Why dont you purchase a US Roaming Add-on? Keep your plan and add that extra Add-on

US Roaming6

For 10 Days

U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle

Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.

That looks really good for a week. I also saw for another $20 you can get 1GB.
Its cheaper than switching plans and or purchasing another sim.

Good Luck!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Aprildugauy wrote:

@Aprildugauy If you are only going for a week best to just purchase a US roaming talk and text plan just before you leave. It's good for 10 days starting from the day of purchase.

@Aprildugauy wrote:

While you can change your plan when you come back, if by chance the plan that you had previously is no longer available, you will need to choose from the current offerings.

Depending on whne you are leaving for your travels, you may want to schedule to change your plan at the next renewal. If you do it in the middle of a billing cycle, you will need to pay the full $60 plan fee, but you will also lose what you paid for your original plan.

In addition, when you want to switch from the $60 plan to another, the same applies for the timing of the plan change.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@AprildugauyIf you are in the States and need to call Canada, you will need the US Roaming package, which is an extra add ons and not available on any plan other than the $60 US & Canada plan.

You can change the plan back afterwards.

Need Help? Let's chat.