cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call/text issues after phone number change

icestorm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

I am currently working with a moderator on this but was wondering if anybody else has experienced this and has any suggestions on what I can do while waiting for a response.

I got my number changed yesterday since I recently got scammed. I didn't get a new SIM. I have an iPhone. I power-cycled my phone after the change and tried the following:

• Asked a friend with an iPhone to send me a text - successful (but it was via iMessage)
  • Called another number from my new number - successful
  • Asked a friend with an Android phone to send me a text - failed
  • Tried to send a verification code to my new number via SMS - failed
  • Called my new number from another number - failed

The moderator gave me the following troubleshooting tips but none of them worked:

• if using dual SIM device please use your Public Mobile SIM card in device's SIM card slot 1 and test
    restart device and test service whenever having any apparent coverage issues (dropped calls, data not working fine, etc.) - dual SIM not available
  • find and use the Reset Network Settings option in device settings (most likely under Settings>General management>Reset for Android, under Settings>General>Reset for iPhone) - cannot receive calls/texts
  • test in same location with other unlocked device to see if any big difference in signal strength, if possible - cannot receive calls (my old phone is Android)
  • verify that Date & Time setting in device is set to network-provided
check - confirmed
  • if there is any software update available for the operating system from your phones's settings, install it if there is - none available

Somebody told me I might need a new SIM card or to factory reset my phone. Has anybody gone through a similar situation? If so, how did you get it resolved?

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

icestorm

Hello all,

I wanted to give you an update on how this is going. The new number that the moderator gave me apparently wasn't supposed to be in the database; it belonged to another carrier. They said this is why I'm not getting calls or texts from certain people.

Now I have to change the number to a number that does belong to public mobile so I have to wait 30 days until I can do this. They changed my number back to the old number that I would rather not use so my experience in changing my number was definitely not the best. I don't think this case happens that often from what they explained to me, but it did happen, so I hope my experience can help somebody else who ends up in a similar situation.

I will provide another update once everything is resolved. Hopefully it will be resolved when my number changes again.

icestorm

@Anonymous wrote:

@icestorm wrote:

@station1104 wrote:

Try changing your number again, this is similar to a porting issue i come across. I would try a different number to see if this fixes your problem. Hope this helps you out.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that once the moderator runs out of  suggestions to fix the issue. I was unsure of how often we are allowed to change a number.

You can change your number once every 30 days. Be careful with any porting. Numbers get lost if not done properly or knowing the implications.

Thank you for the warning. I will definitely keep that in mind. I would rather not make any further changes to my number if possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@icestorm wrote:

@station1104 wrote:

Try changing your number again, this is similar to a porting issue i come across. I would try a different number to see if this fixes your problem. Hope this helps you out.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that once the moderator runs out of  suggestions to fix the issue. I was unsure of how often we are allowed to change a number.

You can change your number once every 30 days. Be careful with any porting. Numbers get lost if not done properly or knowing the implications.

icestorm

@station1104 wrote:

icestorm

@geopublic wrote:

@icestorm  Try your sim in an android phone. If it works then the issue is with your phone and not the sim.

Thank you for your suggestion. I already tried that but I still could not receive a call.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@icestorm  Try your sim in an android phone. If it works then the issue is with your phone and not the sim.

station1104
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Need Help? Let's chat.