cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call forwarding

slamdunk58
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm needing to call forward the calls coming into my public mobile number to my home phone for a bit but I can't seem to call forward to any number! I keep getting the response "unexpected return from network" Does anyone know how to instigate call forwarding? Thanks. 

20 REPLIES 20

@srlawren wrote:

@DAK wrote:

Real bummer.

@DAK I'm not sure what your scenario is that you'd need this, but you could probably use a technique that is often recommended to international travellers wanting to receive calls while abroad:  open up a Fongo, TextNow, Talkatone, or other free VoIP service with a Canadian phone number, and then forward your PM incoming calls to that number.  You need to do this before leaving Canada. 

Once you've done that, you can receive calls over WiFi or mobile data (using a local SIM card from the country you've travelled to, or one of the travel SIM options out there).  Incoming callers can just call your PM number and won't know any different that you're abroad. 

For outbound calls, I know you used to be able to use Google Hangouts (provided you verify your phone number in Hangouts before leaving Canada) to make outbound calls over WiFi/mobile data and send out your (verified) PM phone number as the Caller ID number, but I'm not 100% sure if that still works or not.

Yes il hangouts with public mobile outbound caller ID still works great

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DAK wrote:

Real bummer.

@DAK I'm not sure what your scenario is that you'd need this, but you could probably use a technique that is often recommended to international travellers wanting to receive calls while abroad:  open up a Fongo, TextNow, Talkatone, or other free VoIP service with a Canadian phone number, and then forward your PM incoming calls to that number.  You need to do this before leaving Canada. 

Once you've done that, you can receive calls over WiFi or mobile data (using a local SIM card from the country you've travelled to, or one of the travel SIM options out there).  Incoming callers can just call your PM number and won't know any different that you're abroad. 

For outbound calls, I know you used to be able to use Google Hangouts (provided you verify your phone number in Hangouts before leaving Canada) to make outbound calls over WiFi/mobile data and send out your (verified) PM phone number as the Caller ID number, but I'm not 100% sure if that still works or not.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Nezgar wrote:

I can also confirm from testing that call forwarding to US numbers doesnt work with the $50 plan that includes calling to the US or with the holiday 2019 add-on.

Setting a US number as the conditional call forwarding destination is a quick-and-dirty way to disable calls going to voicemail. (Callers will receive fast busy)

@Nezgar Noted, thanks!👍

DAK

Real bummer.

I can also confirm from testing that call forwarding to US numbers doesnt work with the $50 plan that includes calling to the US or with the holiday 2019 add-on.

Setting a US number as the conditional call forwarding destination is a quick-and-dirty way to disable calls going to voicemail. (Callers will receive fast busy)

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic wrote:

Wonder if someone with a Canada US calling plan will be able to forward to a US number since it's part of their calling plan and not an addon?

@geopublic no need to test, this has been confirmed many times.  You can only forward your calls to Canadian phone numbers, regardless of plan or add-on(s).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@wetcoaster For a real blast from the past you can checkout some of @Martin 's earliest posts circa 2015. Robot LOL

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/category-id/...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@gblackma wrote:

@DAK it seems that I was misinformed @wetcoaster  is right in saying that calls can only be forwarded to a Canadian number. So his voip advice is in fact correct. Sorry, my advice sucked lemons.

Nah, you just went the "this is the  logical way things should be happening" road. And in this case the Public Mobile system doesn't follow our logic.

Since you are a really fast learner, it's one more piece of information for your personal help library. 😉

@Anonymous 

Well, I have not been super active in 2019 and could have missed some updated information - after all the link I provided dates back more than half a decade! Always happy to be proven wrong as long as it's backed up with official sources or enough evidence of personal experiences.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@wetcoaster  You are correct, I just tested it and when trying to setup the forwarding the network returns an unexpected error. Wonder if someone with a Canada US calling plan will be able to forward to a US number since it's part of their calling plan?

I have the 200 and 400 add-ons. I just get a couple tones and then it hangs up.

Edit: as we know...things change around here. So I made sure.

Since you knew why did you test it?

@wetcoaster  You are correct, I just tested it and when trying to setup the forwarding the network returns an unexpected error. Wonder if someone with a Canada US calling plan will be able to forward to a US number since it's part of their calling plan and not an addon?

Edit: Maybe Z can answer this one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@DAK wrote:

Can I use this method to forward to international number?

@DAK  In order for that to work you need to have enough minutes available from the 400 minute add-on. The country needs to be on the list and your phone needs to be connected to the PM network. In other words you can't take it with you and your account must remain active.

@geopublic @gblackma 

I disagree. I have not found a recent update / contradiction to this https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-Call-Forward/td-p/112  So that's what I take as offical statement to the "forwarding to foreign numbers" question. 

If you have a statement from Public Mobile that supports your advice, please post a link here.

@Tiana_V , @Alan_K , @CS_Agent 

Can you confirm if call forwarding to international numbers is possible?

@wetcoaster 

No need to confirm. Just test it. I just did. I knew you were right though. I'm not sure how geopublic came to make that claim. gblackma is somewhat new around here so fine.

@DAK it seems that I was misinformed @wetcoaster  is right in saying that calls can only be forwarded to a Canadian number. So his voip advice is in fact correct. Sorry, my advice sucked lemons.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@DAK wrote:

@DAK  In order for that to work you need to have enough minutes available from the 400 minute add-on. The country needs to be on the list and your phone needs to be connected to the PM network. In other words you can't take it with you and your account must remain active.

@geopublic @gblackma 

I disagree. I have not found a recent update / contradiction to this https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-Call-Forward/td-p/112  So that's what I take as offical statement to the "forwarding to foreign numbers" question. 

If you have a statement from Public Mobile that supports your advice, please post a link here.

@geopublic wrote:

@DAK wrote:

@geopublic @gblackma 

@DAK wrote:

Edit: Not possible with Public Mobile as their network only allows  you to forward to a Canadian number.

@DAK wrote:

No, only Canadian numbers. ( @gblackma is misinformed on this one, sorry.)

If you want access to your phone calls abroad, set up an account with a VOIP service that offers Canadian numbers (TextNow, fongo etc), forward your PM number to the VOIP number and answer / access the later when you are on WiFi or local data.

@DAK should work as long as you include the country code. And it's on the the approved international  countries list https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/update-quot-international-countries-quo...

@DAK wrote:

DAK

Look at that @Dunkman showing @slamdunk58  how it's done!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@slamdunk58 

Here is a general knowledge article on call fowarding.  Have you tried these options?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-forwarding

Need Help? Let's chat.