cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call forwarding question: what happens when going out of home province to another province

sc999999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a question.  I forward to a Fongo number when unreachable.  When going to another province, data is still active, but calls are not.  In this state, calls should be "unreachable", so in this state, will the calls be forwarded?

Reason I am asking is that I just jumped onto PM. Other carriers with call fowarding set-up in the home zone, once the phone roams, those forwarded calls are considered long distance. On a prepaid plan, those forwarded calls eat up the account pretty quickly (happened to me), and once those funds are dry, the calls will not foward anymore.

With only home province calling (not Canada wide), technically there is no roaming, so the user is "unreachable", and therefore this should trigger the fowarding.  In this case though, there is still connection to the network for the data portion of the plan, which is not limited to home province, so that's why I am asking.

Appreciate anyone with actual live experience to verify this?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

sc999999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for your quick reply.

Interesting that one can still receive calls.  You're right, I don't recall it being documented in such a way.

Yes, I only foward when the status is "unreachable", so if I can still receive calls, that wouldn't matter.  Probably when I am really unreachable, like going to the US, then it would go to the Fongo number.

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sc999999

This is a topic that has come up previously.  In theory, if you are on Province-Wide calling and outside of your home province, you cannot receive or make any calls without a long-distance add-on. In reality, many people have stated they have been able to receive calls when out of province without this add-on, and it's only been the outgoing calls requried the LD add-on.

You are correct in that data and texting are available Canada-Wide outside of the home province.

So for your purposes, you therefore will still be reachable by phone call when out of province and calls will not forward to Fongo unless you turn your device off or go into airplane mode and manually disconnect from the network.

Hope this helps you decide how to proceed.

EDIT - @will13am beat me to it Smiley Happy

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

First of all, all calling plans have unlimited minutes.  Never worry about chewing up minutes.  Second thing is that even with province wide calling, you can receive calls anywhere in Canada even when not in the home province.  Forget about what the website says, this is absolutely how the service works in the real world.  Finally, when you do call forwarding, there are conditions that you can set.  I believe forward when unreachable is the condition you are referring to. 

Need Help? Let's chat.