cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA scam phone calls!!

Clefort88
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good day, lovely members! Long time no talk, wha-? 

So, yesterday, I received my VERY FIRST scam call since joining PM. It's actually a call that has been plaguing most of NS for the last 4 months. 

Canada Revenue is supposedly calling from a number listed from both Alberta, and then Vermont.... HA. 

As soon as you answer the phone, it starts, with a very deep voice, telling you that there has been a lawsuit filed under your name, and the CRA are desperately trying to get a hold of you before you're blown to wreck and ruin by said lawsuit. 

I listened that far along, then promptly hung up. 

I was wondering if perhaps the CRA has been selling off phone numbers? I highly doubt that. At the same time, I'm not quite sure that PM would sell off our numbers either. If they have, well... shame and dishonour on their families, haha. 

It's been quite a rampant scam here in NS. There's a few people in this area actually, who've been conned out the whazoo because the threat of a lawsuit under the guise of CRA is, naturally, terrifying. 

Any thoughts as to what is going on with either the scam, or the sudden appearance of my PM number being on that list? I'm already enough of a conspiracy theorist, that it's not that much of a stretch to believe that the only authoriative figures with my number are Govt of NS, PM and the CRA for my tax return; and that the former and latter would be more than happy to sell off their civilians numbers lol.... I digress. 

I hope you all have a woooonderful weekend! 🙂

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I did search our forums for CRA calls, and the only thing that populated was "CRAP..."....and I laughed, way too hard. 

18 REPLIES 18

@Naepalm wrote:
@dolomite

You are 100% correct. They even have a disclaimer on their website they will not contact you via phone.

Apparently they do sometimes call you.  And they are, due to scam calls, finding we hang up on the REAL CRA too. 😧

@dolomite

You are 100% correct. They even have a disclaimer on their website they will not contact you via phone.

dolomite
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

All I know is the CRA should very rarely try and contact u over the phone.  I believe this as to do with privacy and for securety reasons.  Kinda like ur bank the CRA doesn't have the time to call back every individual person, better to check ur CRA account online if u have any concerns about ur account.

@helenhelen wrote:

I used to get constant scam calls of all sorts, but pretty much hang up as soon as I hear a recorded voice now or delete the voicemail right away. Actually, I don't even usually pick up the phone (I hate phone calls and so I don't get very many, and never answer from unknown numbers). It was annoying to go into my vm to delete mostly scam messages though so I have now shut off my voicemail, with an outgoing message saying to call back later or text/email me instead. Almost everyone who would ever call me knows my email or can easily text me. I think because these automated bots can no longer leave messages, I rarely get scam calls anymore.

Just a little off topic. A lot of businesses and residential phones on VoIP will put a message in upon answering any call and will also advise caller to press  1 or another number to connect.  This process makes it impossible for a caller with a message to start with unable to get through to you. 

helenhelen

I used to get constant scam calls of all sorts, but pretty much hang up as soon as I hear a recorded voice now or delete the voicemail right away. Actually, I don't even usually pick up the phone (I hate phone calls and so I don't get very many, and never answer from unknown numbers). It was annoying to go into my vm to delete mostly scam messages though so I have now shut off my voicemail, with an outgoing message saying to call back later or text/email me instead. Almost everyone who would ever call me knows my email or can easily text me. I think because these automated bots can no longer leave messages, I rarely get scam calls anymore.

My wife and I are getting 1-2 calls per week each. To our cell numbers only. Caller IDs are giving me a number and saying the number is from the United States.  

Danchvn

Guess I've been pretty lucky. I haven't gotten any of these calls for quite a while (Knock on wood). I'm sure my turn will come again though.

Smnewt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’ve been getting phone calls from CRA for the last week, each time I block the number. Apparently I’m going to jail if I don’t respond immediately. I do love call block! 

We have been getting a number of CRA  calls. Sounds like they are in an echoey  jail cell.

Here is what I recommend. 

My Public Mobile Call Blocking

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

😀Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. 😀

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

LurganIeUk_0-1592411168700.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/11/15/how-to-identify-block-spamc-calls-ios-android/

Copyright 2020

danduf1981

I have been getting robo calls from local numbers in Ontario claiming to be CRA. I just hang up and block each number.

@Pop1 wrote:

#clefort88

# doesn't have a function on this message forum. To tag someone here, the @ symbol is used. I don't believe that clefort88 would be followign this thread any longer as it's more than 2 years old.

Pop1

#clefort88

Got the very same yesterday in Edmonton AB

Didn’t entertain it for too long as I had heard about this one before and as yet had not been caught up in it.

Cant help feeling for the vulnerable out there that maybe have been squeezed to part with their cash

stay safe

Bob S

tzliu

Got the scam calls twice to my Fongo number a while ago.  Fongo users are aware - Fongo users tend to get more than the fair amount of scams.

If you are a Chinese user, prepare for scam calls purportedly came from the Chinese consulate trying to scamming your passport numbers.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I got my call the other day.  The person left a voice message with a number to call back.  I called back hoping to find out why this person can't find a real job and earn money the honest way.  The number supplied was unfortunately not in service.  Oh well. 

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

CRA scams will occur around tax time if they are smart

Clefort88

I've been with PM since September of last year and it's still the best service provider I've ever had. 

Little room for anything that would actually make me switch. 

Makes sense about the autogenerated numbers though! 

This is the first auto-call/spam-call I've had since I switched to PM. 

No worries, really. Was more wondering if anyone else had experienced it, or if they'd have any ideas to the scam, period. 

jp2

Typically these scams don't need a phone list they will just utilize a computer to call randomly generated number that begin with the area code they have set. 

I never answer a call that I don't recognize but haven't received any scam voicemail yet since switching to PM at the beginning of the month. I'm in Alberta 

LEGO

I have also received a call from CRA on April 6th. I am receiving too many Spam calls since I have joined Public Mobile! Woman Mad Never had this problem with Fido. I had to install a Call blocker to free myself from Spam.
Being registered on “National Do Not Call List” does not help!

Need Help? Let's chat.