cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build your own plan. Why?

gaggleweed
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Switch to Public Mobile

Because you shouldn’t be charged for features you didn’t want in the first place. 

If I select the option to build my own plan, choosing No Talk costs more than Unlimited Province-wide. How then can you claim not to charge for unwanted features?

10 REPLIES 10

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@gaggleweed, the plan builder in 2015 and early 2016 had a much better offering for the choose your own options.

90-day plans were cost savings over 30-day plans.  All data options were full LTE service, and voice options were all different prices, based on the size of the destination location option.

In the summer of 2016 I came here fo a $42 3 choice package, with province wide calling, international texting ( they had just removed Canadawide as an option), and 2GB of LTE Dara at $40/30-day cycle.  It was a $51 savings for me over the same plan with Canadawide calling from Rogers, with the same otherwise.  This was Rogers Ontario in market price at the time.

Public Mobile was a much better deal at the time I joined, and I doubled my data the next cycle changing to the then Fall Promo for 90-day, provincewide calling, international text, and 12 GB of data for the equivalent price of $120/90-days.

Calling rates are now the same on 30 day between province and Canada wide plans, so the choice is negated.  Throttled to 3G LTE data is cheaper than the full LTE speed data, but is provided on the LTE network.

Finally, Telus, the parent company of Public Mobile would rather now match competing third tier carriers, and match their offers, rather than make a statement by being different.

For the most part, the plan builder is garbage.  The best plans currently seem to be the ready made plans bailable.

Jojo124

Honestly, the build your plan is such a great feature...granted you benefit most if you want all the features but the fact I can choose what kind of minutes I want and get as much as 15gb of data and the cost of my plan is $45 a month...tell me any other provider who can offer that.

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

To be fair, I think the main things they’re referring to when they say to not pay for the extra features, are things like 3g data, no visual voicemail, no VOLTE, no physical stores, etc. 

gaggleweed

Well it seems I'm the only one that takes offence to deceptive marketing. Everyone else here appears to have been served up with some powerful kool-aid. I had hoped to find a carrier with some scruples but that is perhaps too much to ask. I'll move on.

Cezfire
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As someone fairly new to PM, I believe that the option to build the new plan is already a plus on its own. The fact that some bundled options are cheaper than just specific options is a fairly common practice in bundling. You always have the option to pay for exactly the services you want and that is the convenience of build your own plan. It is more the freedom to chose rather than the price itself. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@gaggleweed, that is how the lack of competition works in a distorted market place.  Shop around if you are not interested in full featured plans.  That is the bread and butter of this service. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gaggleweed what plan are you looking for? Data only? If so pm is not the right provider.

@gaggleweed wrote:

So why bother with the build your own plan option? No one in their right mind would choose a plan that offers less and costs more. Quite clearly the only sensible option is to choose the talk plan which goes back to charging people for features they don't want.

Either way, don't you see much cheaper price plans compare to other carriers? Smiley Tongue

gaggleweed

So why bother with the build your own plan option? No one in their right mind would choose a plan that offers less and costs more. Quite clearly the only sensible option is to choose the talk plan which goes back to charging people for features they don't want.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You get discounts for selecting multiple features (talk/text/data).  If you looking for only limited features, the discounts are not available.

Need Help? Let's chat.