cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Place to buy a used unlocked Android Smart Phone

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi Ya,

Can anyone advise if a forum here a Public Mobile for Customers to sell or buy used cell phones?

Or advise the best place to buy a backup phone that is compatable with the Public Mobile Network?

17 REPLIES 17

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Patrick_R wrote:

Have you tried any of the Chinese or Indian brand names?

@Patrick_R if they are built specifically for the Indian or Chinese market, they will likely be incompatible.  Please see here for what you're looking for in terms of compatibility:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/134356#M5822... (courtesy of @sheytoon)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Patrick_R

Have you tried any of the Chinese or Indian brand names?

sld
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It depends on where you live. If you are in the Okanagan then I would reccomend Castanet.net. I have sold several there and there are good ones for sale every so often for a good price. You could also get a brand new one from Costco for $204.99.

Moto.JPG

JanujanGathies
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You should try getting one through Amazon as many reputable sellers have a 30-day return period. That way, you can test the device and check if it works with public mobile and return it if not.

@Patrick_R wrote:

Thanks

Have you had any experience buying a used cell from Best Buy Canada or Best Buy USA.

Some Best Buys in the States hace phone as low as 25.00 US

I purchased my current refurbished iPhone SE from Best Buy last year. Paid $150 + tax. It was supposed to be 32g...recieved 128g. Totally looks like a new phone with a new battery and cable. I'm very satisfied with Best Buy Canada for refurb'd smart phones. Good luck whatever you chose.

Rob_K

I've actually had good luck with Kijiji, just be careful when doing a purchase, I'll ask to see the phone and see what else they are selling.  If I'm going to someone's house and they're not a some young kid or sketchy looking person then I'm a little more confident on the purchase and you can get great deals on phone's or anything off Kijiji.  I do a fair bit of buying and selling on Kijiji, no Craig's List scares me, and eBay I'm very wary of. 

But Newegg and Amazon are good online alternatives, and offer support for returns and disputes.

Sanityisunrated

Honestly you're always better off searching locally in your community! 

Try looking on Facebook -Marketplace -Cell Phones 

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, I have the LG G3, i like it. Maybe the G4 is good for you?

https://www.factorydirect.ca/lg-g4-55-32gb-unlocked-android-smartphone-blk

$169 free shipping

Lg G4 5.5" 32Gb Unlocked Android Smartphone-Blk.
SPECIFICATIONS:
• Network: GSM, HSPA, LTE, voLTE.
• Operating System: Android™ Marshmallow 6.0
• Processor: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 808 Processor with X10 LTE.
• Memory: 32 GB storage, 3 GB RAM. 

A few people alluded to this above, but its true

With low cost of phones there really is no market for used these days

Midrange devices like Samsung S8 or iPhone 8 regularily go on sale at Koodo for $360 + taxes (with incentives you can often get another $100+ off these prices)

An older more basic phone sells for around $100 through 7-11, Chatr, Freedom

And if cost is really an issue Chinese / Indian branded phones can be in the sub $50 range

I just dont see reason to buy used anymore

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Used? Kijiji or Ebay, but exercise caution. On Ebay, make sure the seller has at least a 99% rating and has sold a bunch of items on which buyers have left feedback. Make sure the phone will work on the PM (ie Telus) network too. I've bought several phones this way. If you do some due diligence, it's a great way to save some money, but tread lightly.

If any of this feels risky or you have doubts, would suggest Amazon or Staples for a new phone.

Natasja
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You could also try Amazon, saw Samsung phones for about 150$

Csteeves71

I got mine in Facebook auction. Have also heard Factory Direct.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Patrick_R , I don't think there's such a thing as the best place to buy phones.  If there was such a place, there would be only one place to buy phones.  We would gravitate all our business to one place and the competition would disappear.  That said, personally I use many places to shop for phones.  Open mind = more research and better selection and better pricing.  The go to places on top of the search list are AliExpress, Amazon, staples, eBay, Newegg, red flag deals BST forum, Koodo (I am also a Koodo customer).  Places I would never buy from are Kijiji, Craigslist.  I don't shop for stolen merchandise.

Lar

If you want to have the used phone in your had to inspect before buying then try Factory Direct or they will ship to you. You have a 10 return policy for another phone and a 90 day warantee I believe. Kijiji you buy it,  you own it with none of the above.  Happy shopping

CellGirl

@Patrick_R 

Staples online is a good place 🙂

Patrick_R

Thanks

Have you had any experience buying a used cell from Best Buy Canada or Best Buy USA.

Some Best Buys in the States hace phone as low as 25.00 US

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi Ya,

Can anyone advise if a forum here a Public Mobile for Customers to sell or buy used cell phones?

Or advise the best place to buy a backup phone that is compatable with the Public Mobile Network?

No PM Forum for used phones. You can look on Kijjii but not really the best option. I'd consider an inexpensive refurb from a place like Best Buy. Depending on what you need, you can get a decent smart phone for a fraction of original price.  Also have a look through your local buy and sell but do your due dillegence before laying down your cash. Good luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.