cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Application for VoIP

BAL
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The first application that I have seen on the web about VoIP, including Wi-Fi was Fongo. So I think that it is a good application for that purpose. However, I don't have any experience in that domain. Could people tell me what application they are using and why it is the preferred? I have ordered my SIM card so I don't have it yet. I will get an application as soon as possible after that. Your opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Before I came to Public Mobile, I was set on getting a data-only plan, and setting up voip.ms with the default dialer on my then Nexus 5.  The dial had a built-in SIP protocol, and it worked very well.  My only issue at the time was, SMS to the mobile client on voip.ms wasn't available unless you forwarded it via an email relay system to your personal/other email address.

I still have an account with the service, however, it is rarely used, and I'm using Zoiper for it's interface.  SMS on voip.ms also now has a dedicated client, so that interface is much nicer, but it's not useful for me as my vision impairment doesn't like the colour scheme nor the font sizes.

WiFi and cellular data services carry the traffic well - no complaints when I've used the service.

I'm currently using the Fall 2016 Promo on my main device as it's a great deal for the price, and for long distance, I'll use Google Hangouts dialer.

For the rare cases, I've lost cellular service, I have Fongo setup as a backup service on my device, allowing WiFi calling (in and out) when required.

killer23d

I am using primarily Google Voice, Fongo, Zoiper (voip.ms and freephoneline), they are all great.

Google Voice is probably the best of them all but I got my GVoice a long time ago.

Emma1717
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have been using this international Calling app since a long time, CallHippo. They have extremly great services with advanced features 

BAL

I am new to PM. I am just waiting to receive my SIM card to start. I am expecting my Wi-Fi router back from repair too. So I can't play with Fongo for several days but as soon as I can, I will try it with data only and give you some feedback if you want. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Great discussion.  I don't have anything to add but I'd love to hear more.

I've been trying out Fongo a little bit again and still finding it really buggy on my 1st gen (2013) Moto X running Lollipop 5.1.  Whenever I try to call it seems to just hang, and then my phone starts acting strange after.  My experience with it has been poor so far, unfortunately.  I'd like to explore some of these other options!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@gmd You're absolutely right. App-independent VoIP was something that I didn't even discuss in my post! Thanks for the correction.

gmd

The list provided are applications linked to a VOIP service.

For true VOIP applications, there's Zoiper (mobile, Windows), cSipSimple (mobile), X-Lite (Windows). They allow you to connect (via SIP and/or IAX) to VOIP providers such as voip.ms, Yak.ca, MyOwnTelco.ca, FreePhoneLine.ca, ... They support encoding protocols such as G711 (mu-law), G.729a, ...

From your list, Fongo is different in that you can use these applications to it (same company as FreePhoneLine)

@BAL Asking which VoIP app is best is like asking which pop tastes the best. It will vary depending on individual preference, priorities, needs, and budgets.

Fongo, Hangouts, Line2, and Skype are the forerunners in this field in Canada (Hangouts and Skype only offer US numbers, though). There's also other options like Talkatone, Pinger, and several, several others.

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I use fongo and skype, and both of them are great. You can actually make free calls to Canadian numbers using Fongo, which is pretty neat. 

Need Help? Let's chat.