cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Because of such poor cell service, I am forced to leave Public Mobile for a more reliable provider.

Curtis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm sure many of you are happy and satisfied customers, but it seems clearly evident there are many that are not.  As the Telus CSR told me "you get what you pay for" and this is exactly what I see with Public Mobile.   I have a special needs son who desperately needs reliable service.  We are not getting that with PM.  Continually in and out of service, even though we are smack in the middle of a large city (Calgary).   I will be switching over, even though I've prepaid for another two months.  

PM is just too unreliable and with no support, it just won't do.

Thank you PM for the cheap month.  

50 REPLIES 50

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I thought you said you didn't have another phone to test the sim in, maybe I'm misremembering. Test the sim in your wife's phone, put her sim in the iPhone. Pretty simple test, it should give conclusive results.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @Curtis

I'm truly sorry to hear about this, 

I have sent you a private message a few minutes ago, can you please reply to it? 

I will be glad to help you out! 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Curtis

Okay, well I think I've given PM enough of a chance.   Still waiting for a response from a mod that I messaged yesterday, (I understand they have a life outside of the PM forum)  but it's all moot now.  

I kept re-trying to change the new SIM yesterday, and after about half a dozen or so tries within an hour, it finally went through.  SIM activated, installed into the phone.  This time all the APN settings were automatically there.  But it made no difference at all.  Got reception, but lost it intermittently around the UofC campus, as well as none at all in the basement. 

Maybe it's a hardware issue with the phone itself, although this seems unlikely.  The wife's phone is a Galaxy and with Telus, and she gets full reception in the basement. And his phone originally had reception to begin with. 

So to recap:

1) Nov 17: Ported Galaxy S6 phone from Telus to PM.

2) Everything worked fine for 4 days, including reception in basement.

3) Nov 21: lost all reception, couldn't connect to Network anywhere. No phone for a few days.

4) Came to the forum for help, took 2 days, and found proper APN settings thru Google myself. Did not hear from a Mod until two weeks later. 

5) Since Nov 24, Phone has NO reception in basement, and spotty reception throughout city.

6) Jan 9th, received replacement SIM card from Mary (Thank you Mary) but made no difference in coverage.  Still lost connection throughout parts of the city, that never had problems before. 

I get the whole "you get what you pay for", so maybe that's simply what this is and it just isn't good enough.  So, in the end, I will probably be changing providers once this term is up.  

HeatherLindsay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I switched from Telus to PM and haven't experienced any change in cell reception. Might be worth trying some trouble shooting with swapping sims or cells to see if there's a problem with them. Good luck!

@Raven_Jet wrote:

This happened to me, just click into French mode and it will go back in.

Ok that is just funny

If system error what diff does language make?

Tho I have to admit Curtis had the best response hehe

Raven_Jet
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Ok, this will require back end tech to have a look at. Please PM a mod.

Curtis

@Raven_Jet wrote:

Sacre bleu!!

Toujours pas de travail!!

Screen Shot 01-09-17 at 12.27 PM.JPG

Raven_Jet

Curtis

So while I await for a pm reply, I'll ask it here;

Trying to change my SIM number on the account.  When I go to "Change SIM Card", and input the new SIM number, this is what I get:  (I've tried it 3 times, same result)

Screen Shot 01-09-17 at 12.14 PM.JPG

Curtis

@ute1978 wrote:

@kav2001cI had it on the tip of my tongue but now I say it. OP just needed somebody to blame for his issues. I think he is already gone.  To each his own.

You're entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong.  But thanks for your contribution to the thread. (Just what WAS that contribution again?)

I've been dealing privately with a PM mod, who agreed with me that all my APN settings are/were correct, and feels it must be a defective SIM card. 

And, FYI, no the problem isn't fixed.  Yes the settings are correct.  Yes I'm still using the service, as he is getting reception (albeit, intermittently) when he's outside of the house.  When I try the new SIM card, if that fixes the problem, then I'll stay.  If it doesn't, then I'll switch.  Simple solution.  

I just received the SIM card a couple of days ago.  Trying it as I type to see if there is any change in service. 

But I have a few questions regarding activating it.  

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kav2001cI had it on the tip of my tongue but now I say it. OP just needed somebody to blame for his issues. I think he is already gone.  To each his own.

@Tup if he ported his number from Telus the old SIM would be out of service

I am puzzled at OPs scenario though

No issues using phone with Telus SIM

Then issues with Public SIM (first thing I thought is SIM was flaky)

But then OP goes on to state he "searched internet" to make phone work

Which implies it is a software/settings issue not a hardware/network issue

Tup wrote:

Did anyone suggest putting back the old Telus sim card just to see if that sim card got a signal compared to the PM sim?  Even without an active account, it would show if there was signal.

In many cases, that would only show if there is a signal (through the use of a manual network search), but not the actual strength of it.

I have seen some phones show signal strength with an inactive sim, but this  is very rare.  On most phones, if the sim card is inactive, it will not give you a signal reading. This completely depends on the ROM, of course, but from what I've seen, the vast majority of phones won't show any indication of signal strength unless the sim card is active.

Tup
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Did anyone suggest putting back the old Telus sim card just to see if that sim card got a signal compared to the PM sim?  Even without an active account, it would show if there was signal.  In Calgary with a phone that fails to connect, that to me means a faulty phone or faulty sim card.   I would suspect an issue with the phones antenna.   It may have warranty?   Even buying a different phone would be cheaper in the long run than paying a higher monthy rate somewhere else. 

Have the problem being fixed, and does he get singal in basement like when you are using Telus?  If so, what went wrong, sim card is defective etc?

hopetindall

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Sometimes I only get 1 bar of LTE, 15 minutes down the road at work, I get full bars of LTE. It's just the nature of cellular signals.

LTE especially (even if you're close to the cell site) seems to show low numbers of bars. This seems to be the same for all carriers.

Rockdaddy22
Sometimes I only get 1 bar of LTE, 15 minutes down the road at work, I get full bars of LTE. It's just the nature of cellular signals.

clavijo

hi , it may not be PM , i live in Maple 10 km north of toronto my house is under the umbrella of most providers Bell, Telus, Rogers, Fido and i only get 1 line of reception, it is my bad luck that i got my house in that place , just 1 block to east , west north, south i get 100% reception 

just my 2 cents

Rockdaddy22
You won't have to wait days for help. It definitely was a real problem during the promo. Thankfully things are now back to normal.

hopetindall

@Curtis wrote:

And again, I reiterate;  I can't have a service that takes me days to get a problem fixed.  Having to log into a forum, send a PM to a Mod and wait for them to read it, really doesn't help my situation.  

Hi @Curtis

then unfortunately, I think you'll need to leave and pay much more if this is your requirement.

I'm sorry it didn't work out.  

The Community will be sorry to lose you, but folks understand.

You can get the same great network on Telus.

PHT

ute1978

Any update on OPs problem? I am really curious if there was a solution for @Curtis

hj
It is true that you will get what you pay for. Luckly, I don't have any problem with PM and am very satisfied with the price and quality:)

Too sad, not everyone has the same experience as I have 😞

Ben

I think your problem is with your phone (or possibly even the sim itself) rather than PM's network. PM uses the same network as Telus so it doesn't make sense that your service with PM would be any worse than with Telus.

Garry
Fwiw......In addition to my 2 PM plans, I need to use a Bell Stick for High Speed Internet where I live. This same reception issue that you're experiencing, occured to my Bell Stick shortly after activating it. I popped in a new SIM card and turned night into day.
That was 5 years ago. I'm still on the new Bell SIM card and reception is excellent.

Don't give up until you try the new SIM card. It may change your complete outlook on this matter.
Best of luck.

ute1978

@Curtis wrote:
 If I can get this fixed, that's great.  And I'm accepting all help offered. 

Awesome. Wohoo. So there is still hope you stick with us if the issue gets resolved?

Yes, please keep us updated.

Rockdaddy22
I was just saying you don't have to make a thread if you don't want to. Of course starting a thread is great too 🙂
Unfortunately last month was an insane time, it's now back to normal. As you've noticed support is a lot quicker now. It's no secret they don't have an 800 number, that's how they keep costs down. It's a choice we all have to make, for me it's worth it for the savings, for others it might not be. Just please don't let last months experience cloud your judgement, it was an exceptional time. Hopefully Mary's able to solve everything for you. Please keep us updated:)

Curtis

@ute1978 wrote:

According to his help cry 4 weeks ago, Saray offered help. Why wasn't this resolved 4 weeks ago?

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/CANNOT-CONNECT-TO-MOBILE-NETWORK/td-p/1058...

ITT: People who don't read every post of a thread

Your research skills need work, Daniel-son.  You missed the part where I said:

Curtis wrote: 

Well, I've had problems since the 3rd day.  I came on the forum looking for help then, and it took days before there was an actual proper suggestion (many will offer anecdotes and frivolous information, but not the actual answer I need).  I finally got the phone up and running after doing a lot of Googling myself (which ironically was the only helpful suggestion from other members). 

So to answer your question:  That problem WAS resolved weeks ago.  It took days to resolve. 

Curtis

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
No need to make a thread, you could've contacted a mod directly via private message during business hours. My girlfriends kids also use PM, and I definitely trust the network. The network is pretty solid.

You can also get Facebook or Twitter support.

At the time of the first problem, there were countless threads of people waiting for days/weeks for PM's to be answered.  Admin made a public announcement to say how busy they were because of the recent promo, and please be patient for the delay in responses. 

But again, sending a PM isn't necessarily any faster than a thread.  This one took a day for a Mod response.  Sending a PM, I have no way of knowing when they will respond.  Especially over the holidays. They could be on holidays, swamped with hundreds of other PM's...I have no way of knowing. 

And again, I reiterate;  I can't have a service that takes me days to get a problem fixed.  Having to log into a forum, send a PM to a Mod and wait for them to read it, really doesn't help my situation.  I made the thread as a factual experience of the service I am receiving from a company.  Merely stating facts.  I'm not slagging anyone, and not making false accusations.  If I can get this fixed, that's great.  And I'm accepting all help offered.   

ute1978

According to his help cry 4 weeks ago, Saray offered help. Why wasn't this resolved 4 weeks ago?

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/CANNOT-CONNECT-TO-MOBILE-NETWORK/td-p/1058...

Rockdaddy22
No need to make a thread, you could've contacted a mod directly via private message during business hours. My girlfriends kids also use PM, and I definitely trust the network. The network is pretty solid.

You can also get Facebook or Twitter support.
Need Help? Let's chat.