cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Because of such poor cell service, I am forced to leave Public Mobile for a more reliable provider.

Curtis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm sure many of you are happy and satisfied customers, but it seems clearly evident there are many that are not.  As the Telus CSR told me "you get what you pay for" and this is exactly what I see with Public Mobile.   I have a special needs son who desperately needs reliable service.  We are not getting that with PM.  Continually in and out of service, even though we are smack in the middle of a large city (Calgary).   I will be switching over, even though I've prepaid for another two months.  

PM is just too unreliable and with no support, it just won't do.

Thank you PM for the cheap month.  

50 REPLIES 50

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Curtis, I did respond to your messages, can you please view them? I need you to provide me with your complete shipping address! (via private message)

Thank you,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Yes @Rockdaddy22, he'll be trying out a new SIM card 🙂 We will get to the bottom of this!

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Curtis

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
What do you mean you have none? Did you not speak to Mary?

*sigh*....please read my responses.   As I stated: Yes, I've sent Mary a PM.  I am waiting for her responses, suggestions.

If you read my responses you would see that a cell phone that goes out of service, and that takes days to fix is something I can't have. Period.  This isn't a phone for a plaything.  It's a serious device, needed for the health and well being of my son.    

I need support as in "*dial611*...."hello support? My phone isn't working"   "There you go, it was blah blah blah problem..phone is working now". 

Having to come onto a forum, make a thread, receive countless of useless anecdotes and derogatory suggestions, hope for a mod to notice, hope they receive a PM, hope they have time to respond.....That is not "support". 

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
So I guess it's possible it's the phone. I'm sure Mary can hook you up with a sim and you could try that. If that doesn't work I'd say it could be the phone.

Curtis

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
Have you tried his sim in a different phone? Just to see if you experience the same issues.

I don't have another phone to try it with.  Both mine and my wife's are locked to a different provider.   It's a brand new phone.  Like straight out of the box new. First had to get it running on the Telus SIM so that she could register it and unlock it, then put in the PM SIM card and ported the number over.   It worked fine for 3 days...then lost all connection completely.  Figured out my APN settings, worked...."okay" for a few weeks. (still intermittant loss of connection..no connection in our basement) but still worked. 

Then all of a sudden it is barely connected 50% of the time, no matter where he is. 

Rockdaddy22
What do you mean you have none? Did you not speak to Mary?

Curtis

@ute1978 wrote:

Yes, a Telus agent lied to you about the unlocking and also badmouthed Public Mobile.

Now tell me please if this is the customer service you want to go back to.

Where did I say this is who I want to go back to?

Ironically the Telus agent said, "you might run into technical problems and there won't be any support for you".    Hmmm....she nailed that one, didn't she?

Fact remains that in over 10 years, I've never had a problem with cell service with Telus, but in only 30 days, I have yet to receive satisfactory service from PM.  Why the switch, you ask?  Money. plain and simple.  I was paying $95 for a smaller plan.  I figured, there are obviously thousands (hundreds? millions?) of satisfied PM customers...what could go wrong?  "I don't need no stinkin support"....well guess what.  There are problems, I need support, and I have none. 

Rockdaddy22
Have you tried his sim in a different phone? Just to see if you experience the same issues.

Curtis

@daredogg wrote:

A question to you... why are you coming on here sharing your story? are you just wanting the community's sympathy or are you looking for a solution? I think Mary_M was gracious to provide a suggestion of swapping out the SIM card, to see if that would improve things (especially if you have 2 months left, an extra $5 won't hurt). I'm not trying to be rude, but if you decided to switch, I don't see the reason in telling us all about it. Anyway, all the best, and I hope either service is improved here or you find better cell service elsewhere. Robot Frustrated

Well, I've had problems since the 3rd day.  I came on the forum looking for help then, and it took days before there was an actual proper suggestion (many will offer anecdotes and frivolous information, but not the actual answer I need).  I finally got the phone up and running after doing a lot of Googling myself (which ironically was the only helpful suggestion from other members). 

Then...ran into this problem.  Again I googled and sought help.  Again, taking days. So I then made the thread.  Again, waiting over a day and yes, Mary is very kind with her offer, and I'm taking her up on it. (Obviously I hadn't logged in to see her post until just now)  So don't think it went ignored.

But even that causes severe problems.  My son is special needs, but high functioning.  That means he goes around the city on his own, taking trains and buses.  He has university and a volunteer job with a Junior Hockey team.   Having his cell unreliable is a major problem.   When hiccups occur (train gets canceled, has to alter his travel plans, etc, etc) he needs to be in contact with me immediately, and vice versa.   Having to wait days for mere suggestions and guesses from other members, having to go online to research problems, etc, etc, is just not something I can accept.

I didn't come on here for sympathy....I came on hoping that the thread might draw some help from a PM employee (my first threads did nothing of the kind) and also make my experiences public.   In this digital age, this is how a company is judged, no?  People want to hear about other people's experiences in dealing with a company, both good and bad.   I am here giving my experience and the resulting solution (if any).

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, a Telus agent lied to you about the unlocking and also badmouthed Public Mobile.

Now tell me please if this is the customer service you want to go back to.

Curtis

@Mary_M wrote:

Hey @Curtis,

Thank you for reaching out to us and for sharing your experience!

(snip) 

Please me know if you need further assistance.

Mary

Thank you Mary...PM sent.    

Rockdaddy22
Unfortunately they tend to give a lot of false information. They'll do anything to try and keep you. I hope you give us a chance to solve your issue.

Curtis

@imm1304 wrote:

Hey @Curtis

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  

You didn't have to unlock the phone, PM and Telus are on the same network and you can use Telus phones without unlocking.  I am using a Telus locked phone with my PM sim right now. 

Well then the Telus agent straight up lied to me.  I said I was switching to Public Mobile what do I need to do?  She said "You need to unlock the phone first".  I replied "I thought it's the same Network...same company".  She said "No it needs....." and then rambled on about some technical terms.   I didn't want to chance trying it in case it lead to more problems.  I had read so many bad experiences of people porting over phones/numbers.  Which, btw, I had no problems doing whatsoever.  I was up and running within 15 minutes. 

Rockdaddy22
When you say no support, just wondering what you mean by that? A mod has already offered to help, service doesn't seem to bad to me.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I live in Calgary and have no issues with service. 

Of course the Telus rep would thrash the competition (even if under the same umbrella) because of the potential commission! But, comparing Public Mobile to Wind is not a compatible comparison since they're on different cellular networks. I had an experience yesterday at a Koodo kiosk with the rep practically doing a song and dance explaining what he could offer me if I switched today.

@Curtis you have to do what you have to do, and if your son isn't getting service like expected, I don't blame you for wanting to switch. There shouldn't be a difference between the Telus and PM networks, since they should be the same (unless there's something we're not being told). This year, Telus removed their towers off my apartment building, which I noticed has resulted in a 1-2 bar reduction (from the full 5).

A question to you... why are you coming on here sharing your story? are you just wanting the community's sympathy or are you looking for a solution? I think Mary_M was gracious to provide a suggestion of swapping out the SIM card, to see if that would improve things (especially if you have 2 months left, an extra $5 won't hurt). I'm not trying to be rude, but if you decided to switch, I don't see the reason in telling us all about it. Anyway, all the best, and I hope either service is improved here or you find better cell service elsewhere. Robot Frustrated

imm1304

Hey @Curtis

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  

You didn't have to unlock the phone, PM and Telus are on the same network and you can use Telus phones without unlocking.  I am using a Telus locked phone with my PM sim right now. 

Its quite unusual to hear that in the same house, using the same network, you had such a big difference in reception.  I am a former Telus customer in Toronto and and yet to feel a difference in reception.  I wish someone from PM and/or the community at large could troubleshoot with you as there may have been some phone/sim specific issue.  

PM has drawbacks such as no retail stores, no call centers, somewhat quirky/buggy selfserve.  But, network coverage is definitely not a system-wide issue.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Curtis,

Thank you for reaching out to us and for sharing your experience!

We're really sorry to hear that your son has had some spotty service, and I would be more than happy to help. As you may know, we're currently covered on the same same network as Telus. 

Have you tried your SIM in another device to compare behavior? (your son may have a defective SIM card) If not, I suggest that you try this, as well as a different SIM in the phone - and if by chance you have an unused Public Mobile SIM card, we can try swapping them.

Please me know if you need further assistance.

Mary

Curtis

Well, we've been with Telus for over 10 years.  Same phone as the one I just ported over to PM.  Not once did we ever lose Network connection.  Constant 5 bars anywhere in our house, including the bsmt suite.  I talked to Telus retentions, and the cheapest they could offer was over $60, and that was only 1GB. $85 if I wanted 4GB.   I said, "then why shouldn't I go to Public Mobile, where I can get that same plan and only pay $40 ($38 actually).  He said "Public Mobile, Wind, etc, etc are all "value" providers.  And you get what you pay for.  Poorer cell service, poorer customer service".   Well, I called his bluff, canceled my Telus account, paid to unlock the phone. (Yes, same company, and still had to get the phone unlocked) and made the switch to PM.  

Since then, he gets NO service in the basement suite of the house (which is where my son resides) at all.  Not once.  And continually, while out and about the city, he gets disconnected from the Network and can't get back on.    He was stranded at a public event the other night because he couldn't get service and couldn't get ahold of me. 

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

Sorry to hear about your problems, but i live in another big city, bigger city actually, and no issues what so ever.

Not sure what telus has to say "get what you pay for", you pay for the same network.  Nothing different.

Need Help? Let's chat.