cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bars are low

Uttampreet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just put the sim in and got everything setup but I’m always getting 1 or 2 bars just sitting at home. When I was with freedom it was full. Anyone know what the problem is? Also I bought 3G plan but when I turn on my data it goes on LTE. What does that mean?

9 REPLIES 9

Sometimes 3G has better signal than LTE, depends on where you are. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

Folks, just a reminder Public Mobile does not have VoLTE.  When a call is made or received, the phone drops from the LTE connection and switches to 3G.  The 3G signal could be stronger which is why there is a change in connection signal strength.  Note that the preferred network type can be selected to 3G only for data if that helps with data peformance.  It would likely be unusual circumstances, but 3G could outperform LTE. 

Oooohhhh. Well mystery solved! Thanks for that.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Folks, just a reminder Public Mobile does not have VoLTE.  When a call is made or received, the phone drops from the LTE connection and switches to 3G.  The 3G signal could be stronger which is why there is a change in connection signal strength.  Note that the preferred network type can be selected to 3G only for data if that helps with data peformance.  It would likely be unusual circumstances, but 3G could outperform LTE. 

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have never had an issue with call quality since switching from Bell

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uttampreet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Uttampreet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Uttampreet wrote:

I just put the sim in and got everything setup but I’m always getting 1 or 2 bars just sitting at home. When I was with freedom it was full. Anyone know what the problem is? Also I bought 3G plan but when I turn on my data it goes on LTE. What does that mean?

The so-called 3G is actually throttled 4G LTE down to 3mbps.

The bars are a funny thing. I was with the mothership Telus before and seem to recall more bars. Now with PM I get fewer. But when I go to use it as a phone I get as much as before with Telus. I wonder.

Edit: Yeah. I just verified it for myself. I'm sitting here with 2 bars. I call 611 and once connected it shoots up to 5 bars.

Could it possibly be a glitch with the bars?

I don't recall noticing it when I was with Telus. It's that I *notice** it now. Same phone.

YEah I called someone and the bars were full. But the call quality was poor. Maybe it was a bad idea getting public mobile?

How was it poor? It's Telus. Not some rinky-dink, fly-by-night outfit looking to sweep in a few customers.

Uttampreet

@Anonymous wrote:

@Uttampreet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Uttampreet wrote:

The bars are a funny thing. I was with the mothership Telus before and seem to recall more bars. Now with PM I get fewer. But when I go to use it as a phone I get as much as before with Telus. I wonder.

Edit: Yeah. I just verified it for myself. I'm sitting here with 2 bars. I call 611 and once connected it shoots up to 5 bars.

I don't recall noticing it when I was with Telus. It's that I *notice** it now. Same phone.

YEah I called someone and the bars were full. But the call quality was poor. Maybe it was a bad idea getting public mobile?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uttampreet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Uttampreet wrote:

Uttampreet

@Anonymous wrote:

@Uttampreet wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uttampreet wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.