cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BYE BYE ROGERS

Kimber1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you so much Public Mobile for the fantastic plan.  I am so happy to leave Rogers after 15+ years and finally get a good mobile plan.  I ordered my sim during the 12G promotion and could not be happier.  My iPhone is so much faster on LTE with Public Mobile and I get service in places where I did not with Rogers.  Once again thanks 🙂

46 REPLIES 46

@ChopstickHero

I came in from Rogers via WIND.  Rogers was $90 for 2GB data, Canadawide everything else, but never called outside province.

WIND was a tab to get a refurbished iPhone 5s (nolonger using, or own for that matter) and regular plan was Unlimited data with 5 gb cap to throttle 😞  Was a $45/month plan which always paid $65 after roaming charges in WIND Away networks 😞

My PM is the fall promo.  My renewal in  March will be $75 at this point, and I could still potentially have further rewards in March from the community for February!!  Right now, $25/30 days!   Love this place!

ChopstickHero
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

After including my PM rewards, I'm now paying exactly 1/3 of what I used to be paying with Rogers .... for 3 months worth of service! *happy dance*

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just a quick shout-out to Rogers for sponsoring one of the most active threads in January 2017!!!  Woo Hoo!

Buh Bye Rogers!

piggykiller
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good choice. man

I just swith to PM from Rogers, stayed with 10year+.

TheOldVR

Three months with PM now and I've saved around $130 from my Rogers days. Yes I have a bit less data.... but I'm good for now considering the savings.

Started off a little sketchy service wise and I still have concerns about the lack of a real request tracking mechanism.... but right now, at this time - things are lookin good :).

Keep it up PM and please start planning for the next time your service requests go through the roof.

Woo Hoo!

suno
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Totally agree with you OP

@SDO8 wrote:

@theoc198 wrote:

In my opinion people aren't switching from Rogers to Public Mobile for 2 reasons. Firstly a lot of people don't even know the company exists and they doesn't know what network Public uses. When someone asks me what carrier I'm on, I always respond with "Public Mobile, It's owened by Telus and it uses their network". The second reason is regular priced plans just aren't that great. 2 gb isn't enough for a growing number of people. If Public Mobile has another $40 promo, 4gb it will for sure gain customers again as it did a few months ago. 

Another major reason people aren't switching from the big 3 is that they depend on the contracts to frequently subsidize their acquisition of the latest new phones. What they may not realise is they usually end up paying significantly more over the life of the contract, phone included. Some simply can't afford to shell out for the new phone entirely upfront. With some discipline to save up cash ahead of a purchase, they could have the best of both worlds - a nice phone and a good, inexpensive plan. It's maybe a few hundred dollars, which won't take forever to save up. Certainly doable within the 2-year life cycle of cell contracts. That's how I make purchases, and I've a nice new, unlocked high-end phone, happily enjoying my fantastic, low-cost plan with PM.

Public Mobile for the win!  Smiley Happy

Yeah, I think the initial outlay of funds to buy a phone is somewhat of a turn off to many who are so accustomed to walking into a carrier store and leaving with a shiny new smart phone for no money up front.  Many do not adapt well the change.  If they did, they would find that it actually costs less. 

Canada has one of the highest cellular rates in the world because of the lack of real competition.  To a large degree, the customers are an enabler to the sustained high rates.  The quest for hardware/service bundles puts the carriers at an advantage to over charge on the service side.  The unbundling of hardware and services is one of the best ways to make service rates lower.  We see it in the cost of the Public Mobile plans.  Without the hardware, it is hard for there to be hidden fees and such. 

@Rockdaddy22  agreed with the outright purchase!  After calculating hte savings it makes so much sense.

A shot in the gut $1000 out of your pocket but in the end its better.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I bought my iPhone 7 from  outraight, I'll be doing the same with the 8. I think it's well worth it 🙂

RLBL

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
I love reading all these positive stories 🙂

Me too...

I am going to be buying a new phone this fall.  I was having a hard time justiying purchasing the phone I want because of the price ($1049+tax.. yikes!). But then I realized: Hey wait, I am on Public Mobile.

On my granfathered Rogers Accounts (my wife and I) we were paying $124/month + tax.  On Koodo, we switch to 1G plans and we were paying $90, but that is not quite enough data because I stream my music.  To go to a 2G plan, it would have been 120+tax (looking at current prices).  On public mobile, we now pay $73 on the 12G promo plan between the two of us (I pay $36 and she pays $37 as she referred me in principle...  I have referred 2 people myself)

That is a savings of $48 a month. Even if I discount by the music streaming cost of $15 (family plan), it is $33/month (basically $400/year)

For me this means if I buy that $1049+tax phone and keep it 3 years (which I do at least), the phone is free as it was paid for by the real savings I am seeing (no mental jusitications here).

So to sum it up:

• I get the same network (as Bell/Telus, which is better for me than Rogers is where I live coincidentally)
  • I get more data (4G/month* average as opposed to 2)
  • I get a free phone (at whatever replacement rate one wants pending the cost of the phone. For me 3 years but I could buy 2 new cheap Android Phones for both my wife and I every year for free)
  • I go from Canada Wide to province wide... well...I have no issues using a non-default phone app so I have Canada wide.

No brainer...

(I hope people on the fence see this thread/post and use it to help make their decision)

* this was on the fall promo, so not considering that it would be the same amount of data at a 2GB month average

Rockdaddy22
I love reading all these positive stories 🙂

gunter

Over a course of 8 years, I've been with Rogers, Fido, Koodo, Bell, Telus and now Public Mobile. All I can say is that I've settled in well with my new plan with Public Mobile, and I'm loving it. The speeds are faster than what I had at Rogers, and not only that, but the bill is significantly cheaper. Before leaving, I asked if they could match the plan, and the closest I got was $75/month, whereas after the auto-pay feature I'm paying $38/month. With the savings, I can easily get a new phone outright over 2 years, and not only that, I have more data, faster speeds and so far I've not one issue with PM

DmcDohko
I'm on your same page! I've been using Public Mobile for almost 3 months now on the 12 gb plan and have had 0 issues with it. Couldn't be happier to have bid my farewells to Rogers! Best of all, the PM community is just amazing and everyone is so helpful!

SD08

@theoc198 wrote:

In my opinion people aren't switching from Rogers to Public Mobile for 2 reasons. Firstly a lot of people don't even know the company exists and they doesn't know what network Public uses. When someone asks me what carrier I'm on, I always respond with "Public Mobile, It's owened by Telus and it uses their network". The second reason is regular priced plans just aren't that great. 2 gb isn't enough for a growing number of people. If Public Mobile has another $40 promo, 4gb it will for sure gain customers again as it did a few months ago. 

Another major reason people aren't switching from the big 3 is that they depend on the contracts to frequently subsidize their acquisition of the latest new phones. What they may not realise is they usually end up paying significantly more over the life of the contract, phone included. Some simply can't afford to shell out for the new phone entirely upfront. With some discipline to save up cash ahead of a purchase, they could have the best of both worlds - a nice phone and a good, inexpensive plan. It's maybe a few hundred dollars, which won't take forever to save up. Certainly doable within the 2-year life cycle of cell contracts. That's how I make purchases, and I've a nice new, unlocked high-end phone, happily enjoying my fantastic, low-cost plan with PM.

Public Mobile for the win!  Smiley Happy

theoc198
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@computergeek541

@computergeek541 wrote:

Some (or many) people might still think that Public Mobile is a new entrant with that CDMA network that they had before.  Reputation for having a bad network can haunt a company, even after they've fixed it or in Public's case, changed to a different network (Telus). 

I mean - just look at the problems Wind/Freedom is having.  They have a reputation (deservedly so) for having a terrible netowrk.  But while Wind's network is far better than it was in 2009 (although it still isn't good), customers still think of it as the "swiss cheese network" from 7 years ago even after the recent fairly substantial increase in towers. 

Once a company's reputation is damaged, especially when it comes to the network quality, it can take people  a long time to change their minds about it.

I would argue against Wind's network being better than it was in 2009 in certain parts of Toronto. Sure if you have an LTE phone with band 66 you might be the only person on the tower but for most people downtown Toronto on Wind was next to unusable. (This is going back to how things were this past November when I left Wind)

@kevindo27 wrote:

I just think that some people don't switch from Rogers to Public Mobile, because they think that Public Mobile has terrible coverage, but living in the GTA, it's just as fantastic!

Some (or many) people might still think that Public Mobile is a new entrant with that CDMA network that they had before.  Reputation for having a bad network can haunt a company, even after they've fixed it or in Public's case, changed to a different network (Telus). 

I mean - just look at the problems Wind/Freedom is having.  They have a reputation (deservedly so) for having a terrible netowrk.  But while Wind's network is far better than it was in 2009 (although it still isn't good), customers still think of it as the "swiss cheese network" from 7 years ago even after the recent fairly substantial increase in towers. 

Once a company's reputation is damaged, especially when it comes to the network quality, it can take people  a long time to change their minds about it.

@kevindo27 wrote:

I just think that some people don't switch from Rogers to Public Mobile, because they think that Public Mobile has terrible coverage, but living in the GTA, it's just as fantastic!

It is the unknown that scares people.  I also made the switch from Rogers and I have had no issues with coverage or data.  As a matter of fact I am not even close to using all the data now after being on a share everything plan of 2.5gb a month with my wife.  I haven't even used 5 of my 12 with 16 days left.  On top of that with autpay, referral and community rewards for our first 3 months we will save $112.

So for those that are a little worried do a little reading.  Of course there isn't much advertising about PM if you were Telus would you want it out there that your network is available for such a low cost.  Most are afraid of the service model here well I just switched to Telus home services for Cable and internet and used their "Live Chat" and I was in their queue for over 14 hours over 3 days to get service one of the days I got to number 2 and then they went offline.  This service model does work yes there were issues during the promo but issues seem to be getting resolved within hours if not minutes when a mod is online now

Signed

On HAPPY ex-Rogers Customer

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

kevindo27

imm1304

Good idea, @TheOldVR

Once upon a time, I was a Robbers, er Rogers, customer.  They promised a fixed monthly bill for their services and that fixed amount kept rising. Offered to put me on a promo plan for life and suddenly doubled the bill in 10 months.  When inquired, they said the plan was mine for life of the plan, not my life.  So the plan is dead now.  And I am on a regular plan.   

They forced some premium sms service on me from a 3rd party.  Basically, I got a spam sms and there was no way of cancelling their weather/news/etc updates.  Each sms was being billed to my account.. totalling to something outrageous like $40 a month. Calling Rogers to have it cancelled didn't work.  Sending cancellation sms as per instructions didn't work.   Rogers insisted on collecting the money but refused to stop charging future messages or cancelling the "premium" sms service.  

All in all, I was bullied under threat of collections agency tarnishing my credit score to pay a total of $140 before I transferred that line away from Rogers.  Then, I learned of a class-action lawsuit against them and joined.  Eventually, Rogers paid back the money to over a million of us.  Too little, too late.  They will never have my business again.  

Signed,

A happy PM'er.  

TheOldVR

LOL - this has become a support group for ex-Rogers customers Smiley Tongue.

Hi, my name is TheOldVR and I used to be a Rogers customer Smiley Sad.

Who's next?? Gotta share those feelings!!

Someone at Rogers should be looking at this thread btw....

MR_F

Welcome! I too left rogers after 15 years (they were my first and only cellphone provider since i got my cellphone in highschool)... it always sucks to leave a company you've been with for a long time, but i got tired of paying more than everyone i knew for an inferior plan... Never been happier, had no issues at all so far, and i brought most of my friends and family with me 😄

samanthakeizer
Public mobile has its pros and cons but every provider does. I can however say they offer discounts and services that ive never seen other providers offer so for that I'll be a customer for life and refer as many people as I can. Why buy half a loaf when you can get the whole loaf for the same price right. Lol

chrissyhj

I was with Telus for many years. Then they started charging more and changing my plan. I switched to Virgin Mobile... their member benefits were cool, but again they started arbitrarily increasing prices and changing my plan. I was not their pre-paid plan member yet they would charge me upfront for their regular plans. So glad I got introduced to PM. I get more for less!  

Rockdaddy22
I'm so happy you guys are happy 🙂

vinions

15 years with Rogers until this promo.  I stood by them for the longest time but knowing PM is on the same network as one of the Big 3's (Telus), it was an easy decision to switch.  I saved over half - over $450 annually.  One of the best decisions I've ever made.  

Jrat59

I save over 770/yr now by switching to PM from Rogers as well!! 

PM has been nothing but good too... some glitches here and there with billing and referals but patience and they will fix it all for you... 

Have to send out koodos to @Mary_M and @Shazia_K for helping me out and getting my account in order!! 

LOVING PM LIFE!!

dpleau

I was a long time FIdo customer with loyalty discounts and my plan was still above 80$/month before tax and only have 2.5GB.. My girlfriend was with virgin and having only 1GB of data and going over her data would always run her close to or above 100$ month! We both switched over and my aunt and uncle switched over as well. I am so happy my friend Joshua @Jrat59 at work told me about PM!

ChopstickHero

I was with Rogers for almost 16 years... finally glad to be rid of them too. Their mobile plans were not good. I'm glad I saw the light! Switching to PM will save me approximately $804/year... enough to go on a vacation!

Vickel

@johnb56789 wrote:

I was stuck with Virgin for some time (about 2 or so years). Went from $39/month (300 mins, 300MB, Unl. Text) to the Promo $120/90 day (or $35/month after my discounts here) (Unl. Prov. Talk, Unl. Text, 12GB/3 months) and I am so much happier now. If I wanted the same equivalent plan without changing my grandfathered plan with Virgin, it would've cost something like $39/month for the plan + $190/month to get to 4GB (NO ADDONS FOR DATA, just overage charges to get there) + $25/month (Unl. Talk, albeit Canada wide, never used it, only called Province) = $287.02/month (taxed)

That's a savings of $2,969.64 per year for me!!! (Well... My parents still pay my phone bill, but they're much happier now that it's gone down in price instead of up!!)

That's exaggerating a little too much, 4gb plan from the big 3 around $80-$100

I agree that the 4GB fall promo was an awesome deal. Adding the $15 LD add on basically covers all my needs

Rockdaddy22
To be fair, that was a terrible plan and you could've changed it.
Need Help? Let's chat.