cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocomplete acting very weird

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Ok, so this isn't exactly a PM problem, well it is in a way, not sure if it's my phone or this community...

It's been a while now, I can't remember when it started (it wasn't doing it before), but while I:

- write in on this community (and nowhere else on the internet);

- from my Android phone with the Google keyboard (I updated the "app" multiple times);

- and I click on the autocomplete suggestion (which appears correctly on the keyboard);Screenshot_20190110-021308.png

Then, often but not always a completely different word (well, not even a word, just gibberish) will be typed instead. Sometimes it resembles the intended word, sometimes it is just completely different. For example, while typing this post, here are some of the words that were typed after I've started to write a word and then chose (tapped) an autocomplete suggestion:

- xommucomm (community)

- dtatsta (started) 

- updariup (update)

- xomplecomp (completely)

I haven't been able to figure out if something triggers it or not... It will just randomly work properly or not, within seconds in the same sentence.

Anybody has a clue why/how is this happening? I'm puzzled...

11 REPLIES 11

@numberfly

"Weird text encoding"?

Public uses the most basic of the basic

(plus of course the obvious fact noone else has ever suggested this bug in nearly 4 years of posting strongly implies error is on OPs phone)

@numberfly wrote:

I am a programmer, and my best guess is that it's something on PM's site's end. It almost sounds like they are using a weird text encoding, or otherwise their forum app that is running to host all this has a weird bug when multiple characters are being changed/added at once. 

When I'm using my iPad to compse posts in the forum, I notice strange things also.  My biggest beef is the lack of immediate 'Upeercase' first letter of a new sentence a/o paragraph.  Most apps and webpages I veiw work as I'm expecting, but not this one.

numberfly
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am a programmer, and my best guess is that it's something on PM's site's end. It almost sounds like they are using a weird text encoding, or otherwise their forum app that is running to host all this has a weird bug when multiple characters are being changed/added at once. 

Furthermore, autocorrect works perfectly fine, it automatically corrects the typos I'm making in words after I press the space bar without problems.

It's when I choose a correct suggestion (as showed in the previous image) that weird text then appears. (Maybe I shouldn't have used the word autocomplete which might be misleading, sorry!)

Other weird keyboard behaviour happening in this forum only: 

- If I select some text and then choose "Cut", it 1) copies the text properly in the clipboard, 2) doesn't erase the text as it should, and 3) erases the character that follows the selected text... ?

Hey thanks for your answers I understand all what you are saying, however:

1) the weird thing is that it ONLY happens when posting on the community, everywhere else on the internet (same app) or in any other app (same keyboard/dictionary/typing history), it just works perfectly (well, I should say "it just  works as it should").

2) it's not the autocomplete suggestions (that are  linked to what I wrote before) that are wrong, but what is typed in the text field when I click the correct autocomplete suggestion...

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kav2001c wrote:

@Tav

Most of the apps require more than cache as they save an actual dictionary on the phone

You can go in to clear certain words or erase entire dictionary

Sounds like it needs a full reset rather than just fixing a few words. Both options do exist in such a case.

@Tav

Most of the apps require more than cache as they save an actual dictionary on the phone

You can go in to clear certain words or erase entire dictionary

Tav
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If it gets super annoying you can clear the apps cache. That should reset it.

Autocorrect normally "learns" from you

So if you push through alot of garbage it tends to spit out alot of garbage

Having said that when it comes to autocorrect

Blackberry > Android > Apple

Apple is the WORST for autocorrect ever

Funny auto correct, sometimes it is not what you are looking for. Smiley Happy

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

Just do an internet search for "funny autocorrect" and you will see that you are not alone.

Need Help? Let's chat.