cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are calls "unanswered" or "unreachable" when stepping outside the province?

RLBL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

(from another thread, but created a new one as to not hijack it)

I have a province wide plan. If I am out of my home province, and someone attempts to call me I appreciate my phone will not ring (assuming I have no LD add-on)

The Question:

Is the call considered "unanswered" or "unreachable" by the network (assuming I have no call forwading turn on, will the caller get a busy signal, an unreachable message, or will the phone ring indefinitely)

I ask because I want to set the "unreachable" category of my call forwarding to ring my VOIP when I go outside my home province without having to turn on call forwading everytime I step outside the province (I live n Ottawa, and my find myself in Quebec for a brief, unplanned period of time. If I know I am stepping out, I can turn on unconditional call forwading..

41 REPLIES 41

RLBL

@Mana wrote:

I am more confused about province wide calling feature now than before. 

if someone who knows how this works and have tested it can clarify how incoming and outgoing calls work while you are in your home province and away, would be much appreciated. 

@Mana I am not going to lie... I am a little confused as well.

Even the post @TK showed does not answer why I was able to receive a call while I was out of province.  Note: The person who called me had a QC number and they were in Ontario at the time (a loophole perhaps?)

Not complaiing, jyst sayin..

TK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am more confused about province wide calling feature now than before. 

if someone who knows how this works and have tested it can clarify how incoming and outgoing calls work while you are in your home province and away, would be much appreciated. 

I always go back & forth so 1 day will test for sure

Just been way too busy lately

RLBL

Update:

looking at my logs I figured out why I was getting calls from my friend:

When I was in montreal, he was able to call me and reach me because his number is a QC number.  I was not able to call him because he lives in Ontario (e.g. I cannot call him even though I live next door). I should have thought of that.

I wish I tested with his wife, because she has an ON number... Test Failed by my own stupidity.

So I still do not know if the "unreachable" forwarding works if I am out of province*. I do know it works when out of country.

* It really depends if the network considers me unreachable or not.  If it is just software blocking by as defined by the plan, it might not work.

edit: Throwing this out there again: If anyone who lives in ON and is going out of povince and wishes to test, let me know (or this test can be performed by any two people living in the same province and one is going out of province)

RLBL
Costa Rica that is

RLBL
I just tested #4 , but out of country. I am in cosa RCA and fongo rings because I am unreachable. That is the only condition I put in.

So technically it works of you are indeed unreachable, but it does not answer the question: if you are out of province and in Canada , are you.considered unreachable. I still don't it odd that my phone rang when I was I Quebec. But I am not complaining.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@TK keep us posted on #4 especially

TK

To clarify forwarding, I did the following tests using different phones.

Note that forwarding takes a few minutes to be effective.

Cell A, with PM sim card, Fongo installed

Cell B, no sim card, Fongo installed

Phone C, home landline

Test 1- Using A, I forwarded always calls to Fongo, then I turned off A. Using C, I called my main number (not fongo). Fongo on B answered.

Test 2- Using A, I forwarded unanswered calls to Fongo, then turned off A. Using C I called my main number, all calls go to PM answering system; no forwarding to Fongo.

Test 3- Using A, I forwarded unreached to Fongo, then turned off A. Using C, I called my main number. Fongo on cell B answered.

This happens when sim is not reachable by PM network.

Test 4- You are out of your province, no long-distance add-ons. You have forwarded unreached calls to Fongo. Cell A is on. Now your sim is reachable by PM network. What happens to incoming calls;

-Call does not pass through, as you do not have long distance add-ons.

-Again, Fongo wakes up, and answers.

This test is not yet done, needs to be out of province

RLBL
Went back to my settings and things look normal (not greyed out anymore)

No idea what is going on lol.

I added when I fly out of country tomorrow the conditional unreachable will work.

RLBL
@TK it does not seem to be working right. I was expecting the calls to either go to vmail or fongo, but the are coming through. My setup was@TK it does not seem to be working right. I was expecting the calls to either go to vmail or fongo, but the are coming through. My setup was

Busy - vmail
Unanswered - vmail
Unreachable - fongo

Results with this setup: I am receiving all calls as if I was in Ontario.

Next test: turn on unconditional to fongo. Result: fongo rang (good)

But when I turned off unconditional, the numbers for busy and unanswered went blank. Trying to put the vmail numbers back in gave a network error and the options are greyed out (with the vmail numner present)

@RLBL I would be happy if it rings while in Montreal either way Cat Very Happy

Very curious now though

RLBL
Interesting... I can do unconditional forwarding, but I got a unknown response from network when trying to change the conditional (busy and unreachable)

TK

@RLBL

So, you have not yet tested conditioned forwarding?

RLBL
Haha. So I forwarded all calls to fongo and asked a friend to call me and fongo rang and I was able to pick up and chat. So out of province forwarding works allegedly.

I say that because I thought I was not supposed to be able to receive calls... Which I can. Maybe I am in some sort of weird in between state...

If someone has a cross Canada plan and is not in Ontario/QC we can maybe test...

@RLBL wrote:
I will test activation, but my wife is busy watching Kodi streams on her phone is getting annoyed me with me interrupting her.

@RLBL doesn't she realize this is *important* Cat Wink

TK

@RLBL

"However , when my wife called me (using hangouts on the hotel wifi) my phone rings and we can talk".

"Hmm.. just had someone call me from Ottawa and my phone still rings."

When you receive these calls, which one is ringing, Fongo, or regular incoming calls.

RLBL
I will test activation, but my wife is busy watching Kodi streams on her phone is getting annoyed me with me interrupting her.

RLBL
Not email, vmail (stupid autocorrect and I can't figure out how to edit posts on my cell phone)

RLBL
@TK@TK

I forwarded to fongo when unreachable. For unanswered and busy I have it forwarded to email.

I am able to get cellular calls when people call me. I am testing with my wife beside me. She can call out using hangouts and fongo, but not cell. I receive the calls on cell.

I asked someone in Ottawa to call me (I am at the Montreal airport) and the call came through on cellular. But I cannot call him back using cellular.

Hey if I can receive calls out of province that works for me... But I did not think it was supposed to be that way.

TK

@RLBL

Sorry, I did not know that you have already forwarded calls.

Which condition you have chosen, unanswered" or "unreachable".

Could you test if you can activate or deactivate call forwarding when you are out of your province.

RLBL
Nope (well I don't know)... My phone is ringing and it shouldn't be.

My wife tried calling me using fongo and I answered on my phone.

RLBL
@TK@TK

No, it is my phone ringing. I do not have Google voice so I cannot receive calls on hangouts from landlines and cell numbers (I can receive hangouts calls, bit that is not what we did)

As well, turning off data totally defeats the purpose of the test to get calls transferred to VoIP.

Just to prove the point I am going to ask my wife to call me using fongo to my cell number.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@RLBL so the conditional call forward to VOIP is working? 

TK

@RLBL

Hi,

Your are receiving calls through your hangout(VOIP).

Turn off your data and WiFi, and you receive nothing.

Keep on testing please

RLBL
Hmm.. just had someone call me from Ottawa and my phone still rings.

(Yes I am sure I do not have any LD minutes purchased, as I cannot make calls)

RLBL
Ok I am in Montreal. When I try to make a call it says I can't because my plan does not allow it which makes perfect sense.

However , when my wife called me (using hangouts on the hotel wifi) my phone rings and we can talk.

Weird.

I wonder of it is because we are using hangouts and the call is somehow routing? Anyways gonna try with someone who is Canada wide. Stay tuned.

@RLBL wrote:

I will set unreachable before leaving Ontario, and when we reach MTL I will ask them to call and see if it goes to Vmail or to Fongo (if vmail = unanswered). 

If it goes to vmail:

I will try and set other forwarding rules while in MTL to see if they can take effect to prove you can maybe set it up while outside your home province

If it goes to Fongo:

BOOYA!

@RLBL Cat Wink

RLBL

@asimba wrote:
Anyone in Ottawa, Lethrbidge, or any of these cross provincial places feel like testing this? 😇

I am going to be travelling to Montreal next week with my next door neighbour who has a canada wide plan, so I will be able to test it with them standing right beside me.

I will set unreachable before leaving Ontario, and when we reach MTL I will ask them to call and see if it goes to Vmail or to Fongo (if vmail = unanswered). 

If it goes to vmail:

I will try and set other forwarding rules while in MTL to see if they can take effect to prove you can maybe set it up while outside your home province

If it goes to Fongo:

BOOYA!

asimba
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Anyone in Ottawa, Lethrbidge, or any of these cross provincial places feel like testing this? 😇
Need Help? Let's chat.