cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are calls "unanswered" or "unreachable" when stepping outside the province?

RLBL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

(from another thread, but created a new one as to not hijack it)

I have a province wide plan. If I am out of my home province, and someone attempts to call me I appreciate my phone will not ring (assuming I have no LD add-on)

The Question:

Is the call considered "unanswered" or "unreachable" by the network (assuming I have no call forwading turn on, will the caller get a busy signal, an unreachable message, or will the phone ring indefinitely)

I ask because I want to set the "unreachable" category of my call forwarding to ring my VOIP when I go outside my home province without having to turn on call forwading everytime I step outside the province (I live n Ottawa, and my find myself in Quebec for a brief, unplanned period of time. If I know I am stepping out, I can turn on unconditional call forwading..

41 REPLIES 41

RLBL

@asimba wrote:

I suspect it would fall under the "unreachable" category of conditional forwarding... which are included in all the new PM accounts. I've dug up these two posts for how-to's on programming those:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-Call-Forward/m-p/112/highlight/tr...

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-Call-Forward/m-p/41741/highlight/...

@RLBL wrote:

I have a province wide plan. If I am out of my home province, and someone attempts to call me I appreciate my phone will not ring (assuming I have no LD add-on)

The Question:

Is the call considered "unanswered" or "unreachable" by the network (assuming I have no call forwading turn on, will the caller get a busy signal, an unreachable message, or will the phone ring indefinitely)

I ask because I want to set the "unreachable" category of my call forwarding to ring my VOIP when I go outside my home province without having to turn on call forwading everytime I step outside the province (I live n Ottawa, and my find myself in Quebec for a brief, unplanned period of time. If I know I am stepping out, I can turn on unconditional call forwading..

Hi,

Yes I had previously read those threads... but unfortunately it does not aswer the question:

"When travelling outside your province, is the call considered unaswered or unreachable?"

side note: This will easily work if you leave Canada of course because you are no longer on the PM network at all.  But then you can just turn on forwading to another number unconditionally (but I am looking for a constant automatied method). It should also be noted that setting up the phone like that will also forward calls to the other number if it is turned off, or on airplane mode which may or may not be desired.

From the Telus link, I gathered that you setup the rules on the phone and the phone tells the network and the rule is remembered by the network. This means that as long as you can connect to the network you can make this rule. However, if I am out of province I think you can still connect to the PM network (as you can make calls in that canadian zone).  From this, I am assuming you are not conisdered unreachable, but I am not sure...

I think this is either something that has to be tested by asking someone to call me when I am out of province (with call forwarding either set to off, or forwarded to fongo for unreachable*), or answered by a mod (but I do not wish to ask because I know they are swamped. Right @Mary_M?

* Unreachable either set to OFF or to Fongo: If the call simply goes to voicemail then I know the network conisders the call as unanswered because of a specific rule likely imposed by PM for having a province only plan.  If this is not the case, the caller will either go to fongo if I set it up, or get a "caller unreachable" message if I have no forwading set.

RLBL

@TK wrote:

@RLBL

I asked a similar question a while ago, and nobody could answer it with certitude.

Please try both "unanswered" or "unreachable", and let us know.

Please, also check if you could activate or deactivate call forwarding when you are out of your province.

The issue I have there is, if you go out of province will turning on call forwarding after you left actually work?

If it does, great. If it does not and has to be setup before you leave (which I doubt) one would benefit from knowing the answer to my question.

oilblue99
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Yes, a LD add-on is required to receive calls when the phone is in provinces other than the phone's area code province. Minutes are deducted from the add-on, and unused minutes roll over until used.

Data is country wide of course, so voip options exist...which bring us back to this tread.

Hope that helps.

What if I want to receive calls anywhere in Canada while i have unlimited provincial plan, I need to buy LD Canada minutes addon?

@oilblue99 you are probably confusing this a bit

The issue is from a matter of conditional call forwarding

I suspect if he changes the "forward if not reachable" his idea might work

I don't think network would see him as "busy" or "no reply"

I will test this if noone else has an answer but it is an interesting idea

Network does NOT know he is roaming out of province until they send incoming call to his phone

Then trigger kicks in so it goes to voice mail & he gets no ring

Changing that trigger might work

TK

@RLBL

I asked a similar question a while ago, and nobody could answer it with certitude.

Please try both "unanswered" or "unreachable", and let us know.

Please, also check if you could activate or deactivate call forwarding when you are out of your province.

asimba
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I suspect it would fall under the "unreachable" category of conditional forwarding... which are included in all the new PM accounts. I've dug up these two posts for how-to's on programming those:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-Call-Forward/m-p/112/highlight/tr...

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-Call-Forward/m-p/41741/highlight/...

@RLBL wrote:

The Question:

oilblue99

@clavijo

The question was not about making calls (which can be done--outbound [edit] calls within whatever province you're in will work just fine).

Question is about incoming calls, while out of province. The call won't go through. That much is known. I'm guessing they go straight to voice mail. No idea if that helps the OP though...

-----

edit: Adding link to KB doc (for clavijo)

clavijo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

no you wont get calls or dial calls just texts, just try making a call to other province it will tell you that you need an add on to make that call

oilblue99

My guess is it would go straight to voice mail (similar to the phone being turned off). Not sure which category that falls under...so I've probably only confused the matter.

Here's another post that indicates voice mail.

Hope that helps.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@RLBL good question... 

Need Help? Let's chat.