cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App for Public Mobile

miltondad2twins
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just wished to know if there are any plans to release an App for Public Mobile.

22 REPLIES 22

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sa7375 wrote:

@srlawren  Just installed 'Hermit' following your instructions on a Samsung S10e. Everything went through seamlessly well. Thank you for introducing me to this app, which opens the door to many more options. ❤️

@sa7375 very glad to hear that it worked out for you.  🙂  Cheers!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren  Just installed 'Hermit' following your instructions on a Samsung S10e. Everything went through seamlessly well. Thank you for introducing me to this app, which opens the door to many more options. ❤️

@lockedoutagain wrote:

It is really too bad, a lot of issurs could be rasily resolved if I had an app for the repeat items i need to log in for frequently...

You may just be thinning out your client base 😦

An app just sends you to the website.  An app isn't needed for that.

lockedoutagain

It is really too bad, a lot of issurs could be rasily resolved if I had an app for the repeat items i need to log in for frequently...

You may just be thinning out your client base 😦

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Go to browser (chrome or safari)  and 'add to home screen' the publicmobile website.

Change the name of the shortcut to "PM" ... done. 

Ritahawke
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you

sethkott

You can add a home screen shortcut that brings you to the public mobile web page for quick access.

srlawren

@gpixel wrote:

@srlawren does this app have push notifications? it's seems more like an app to make a website into an app. this suggestion is more of an efficient way to contact moderators and the community for the average consumer. so as to not having to wait for replys and then missing a reply a moderator sent. this is one of the bigger reasons leading customers away from PM. 

@gpixel it doesn't, as far as I can tell.  Well it does, but only in so far as it can monitor page(s) content for changes, or an RSS feed for new entries, and notify you of them.  (Though, I've never tested this; I use a different Feedly client app for my RSS needs.)

That said, as far as I can tell, the current community site does not offer any push notifications through browser means; rather, you have to actively browse to the community and look at your bell icon and envelope icon to see new notifications.  I believe Khoros would have to add that feature (or perhaps they do offer and already and PM has not configured it to be active, which is a possibility).  If they [Khoros] offered browser-based push notifications and a PWA install, what you're asking for would probably be possible, but I'm pretty sure this is all/mostly on Khoros to implement.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

chenyonghuazi

Developing and maintain an app definitely costs money. Compared with the benifit coming along, they seem to be not matching up. We can easily open the browser and check out the general inquiries.

@srlawren does this app have push notifications? it's seems more like an app to make a website into an app. this suggestion is more of an efficient way to contact moderators and the community for the average consumer. so as to not having to wait for replys and then missing a reply a moderator sent. this is one of the bigger reasons leading customers away from PM. 

srlawren

@gpixel you'd have to talk to the Khoros folks (https://khoros.com/) for a mobile app for the community.  I double PM would put any resources to building their own on top from scratch; they would wait for Khoros to offer one.  EDIT: or at least a base app that can be easily customized and branded by the individual communities, like this one.  In the meantime, I think you already bravo'd by workaround thread for Android phones.  

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

This would be a game changer for PM if they are able to do this. I'm wondering even if they didn't want to build an app for the whole site, self serve etc. what if they were to just make an app for the forums. they can make an app like Reddit and there would be push notifications. this would also greatly improve talking to moderators. I'm sure much of the community/customer base would love this. then you wouldn't have to keep refreshing the browser seeing if you finally received a message from a moderator... after creating a ticket and sending your request, just close the app and wait for a notification. this would improve efficiency not only for the customer, but also for the moderators. just a suggestion

@skazzyskills wrote:

An app is definitely needed. Your website is also slow to load. The UI on a mobile device is not very good and would be much better on  an app, along with notifications etc. Telus has one, as so many other mobile company sites. PM should catch up.

I very much doubt that a mobile app would with with the self serve website being slow. In the past, some of these cell phone carrier account apps have been almost nothing more than a bookmark to a mobile version of the website, except in a standalone app. 

skazzyskills

An app is definitely needed. Your website is also slow to load. The UI on a mobile device is not very good and would be much better on  an app, along with notifications etc. Telus has one, as so many other mobile company sites. PM should catch up.

ecowen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you have an iPhone, Just go tom the Public Mobile site on Safari, click on the "Action" icon at the bottom, (the little box with an arrow shooting out the top), and choose, "Add to Home Screen".  You can rename it once you've added it.

srlawren

@SkimGuy wrote:

I agree, a forum app might incline people to post more. But I don't consider it vital for service, it would be better to allocate resources elsewhere.

@SkimGuy the community is built and hosted by a company called Lithium.  They seem to have a mobile app for their own support community (for customer companies that use Lithium), but not for the general Lithium communities out there at large.  I think PM would need to wait for them to build something for the community.  That said, the community site was resdesigned a while back (maybe a year or so? I don't recall exactly) to be "responsive", meaning it displays well on a mobile device, tablet, or computer.  The guide I linked previously for using Hermit (on an Android phone) to create an app wrapper for self-serve can also be used for the community, and I do provide examples of that in the thread as well.  Have a look!  Some of the screen shots are outdated but I did post some newer ones after the responsive redesign, too.

@miltondad2twins wrote:

I am just looking for a user friendly app that was made to work on a mobile dized screen.  Using a webpage designed for a laptop on a 5.7" screen is not very effective.

As I just noted, the community site is responsive and will look fine on a 5.7" screen; sadly the same cannot be said for the self-serve site.  You do do need to sprinkle a healthy dosage of pinch-to-zoom and pan around to use it, but it's not impossible.  

SkimGuy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@miltondad2twins wrote:

I am just looking for a user friendly app that was made to work on a mobile dized screen.  Using a webpage designed for a laptop on a 5.7" screen is not very effective.

I agree, a forum app might incline people to post more. But I don't consider it vital for service, it would be better to allocate resources elsewhere.

miltondad2twins

srlawren

@miltondad2twins what do you want from the app?  If it's data tracking, try My Data Manager on an iPhone or Android, or Data Witness PM on Android.  More on Data Witness: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-And...

If you're looking for self-serve access via an app and have Android, check out this workaround I posted a while back.  The guide is a bit long but it's really not that complicated.  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Very-Partial-workaround-for-lack-of-P...

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Doubtful as it's a no frills service. I don't really find any gaps in the self serve account. It's mobile friendly too. Depending on your phone, you can just put a shortcut to that page on your home screen.

That's all the old Telus/Koodo apps really did: repackage the account view/website. Is there something specific you're looking for in an app that the  website doesn't accomplish?

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@miltondad2twins, chances are bad for an app.  Koodo, the sister company of Public Mobile got rid of their app a couple of years ago because the users preferred the website interface.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@miltondad2twins  - it has been brought up before.  There is no indication that it would happen any time soon.  There are issues with the web based portal that need fixing first.  I doubt it would be in PM's near future.

Need Help? Let's chat.