cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone knows how to get LTE with Huawe P8 Max?

EltonB
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Hi guys,I just joined today and I was wondering if anyone knew how to get LTE from an unlocked Huawei P8 Max on PM?Its a sort of an unusual question and I woupd appreciate help. I know that CAT 6 LTE is only with Rogers for now but I was wondering if normal LTE wouod work and how.Thanks in advance for all tech wizards responses!
23 REPLIES 23

EltonB
@WearySky Yea, thanks. Your answer is the most complete one. My phone should work great with Cat 6, which as far as I know is an aggregation of 2600+2100 lte bands. Pretty sure Rogers has that but I DOUBT PM will ever have it. I guess no LTE for me then. Thx for all your replies!

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Looking at the specs for this phone, I see that it only supports LTE frequencies 800, 900, 1800, 2100 and 2600.  Out of those, PM (and in fact, *all* Canadian providers) only supports 2600 (and only on Bell towers).  Rogers has much better 2600 MHz LTE coverage, whereas Bell's 2600 coverage is MUCH worse.  You can see your local towers on the Cell Tower Map, to see if there are any 2600 Bell towers near you (note - any towers listing 2100 on that map are actually band 4, which is 1700/2100, not LTE band 1 which is the 2100 supported by your phone.  That 2100 band is primarily used in Asia, with a few outliers in other places like South Africa, Saudi Arabia, and Australia).

Unfortunately, your phone doesn't have great frequency support for Canada (which is the case with most Chinese phones these days, unless they are specifically released as international versions like the Redmi Note 3).

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @EltonB

You can some band 7 LTE coverage with Bell or Rogers. However, Band 4 is the most common frequencies used by Canadian carriers. Telus only have band 4/40/42. 

Here is the reference. You can find more detail on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

jheili99

i would not think so....cat 6 i think refers to the 2600 frequency ... i use a samsung s7 edge and receive LTE+ ( which is the newest standart aka. advanced LTE ) ..... the cat 6 i believe is more useful in europe then here.......  but as i said... once you see 4G do a speed test and anything above 10mb/s should be acceptable..

EltonB
@jheili99 So no LTE for me then? If no band 4?

EltonB
@nishufan How about other LTE frequencies? Does PM has only band 4 for LTE? If I change my phone, should I look exclusively for band 4? I dont think Telus has CAT 6, coz I got that.

jheili99

yeah but the old samsung s5 already had cat 6 lte support.....if you google your phones specs as huawei p8 max frequencies you will see it only supports 3 higher ones..... comapre these with lets say the samsung s7edge frequencies ...then you will see the difference......but as i said...4G is litterally LTE

nishufan

If you model is DAV-703L, your phone can't support band 4.

EltonB
@jheili99 This is supposed to be a luxury version. Its not an Huawei P8, but P8 Max and even has CAT 6 LTE. Supposed to work on 2100 MHZ lte if PM has it. Only briefly today I had 1 bar 4 G and not 4G LTE.

jheili99

yeah, that it because of your location... it will switch between 4g and if reception drops it will automatically switch to the stronger 3g frequency.... but in essence it is your phone...although compatible with PM not all frequencies are supported with these huawei phones... i had a huawei y625 world phone dual sim..... same thing....north american frequencies for highspeed not supported....

once in $G just run a speed test ...you should be seeing anywhere from 10-30mb/s download

EltonB
@nishufan Huawei P8 Max, Dav 703

EltonB
@nishufan Huawei P8 Max.

EltonB
@jheili99 Only one time briefly so 4G and had only 1 bar.

nishufan

Hi @EltonB

Can you tell me the exact model of your phone? If your phone doesn't support BAND 4, you can't get 4G services.

EltonB
@jheili99 I have all the frequencies on.

jheili99

these huawei phone do not support all frequencies and yours only support 3 lte frequencies of which PM uses 1 ..... having said that, set your phone to either cat6 lte or 4g ......4g is in essence lte .....

also as mentioned in another post check you APN settings....but most likely it is a frequency issue but if you see 4G ( or even 4Ga for advanced 4g ) you will be just fine

EltonB
@nishufan Hi, thx! But the APN was the same and still nothing.

nishufan

HI @EltonB

Make sure you have correctly APN setting. I found couple phone without correct APN setting, only got 3G/H/H+ services. 

You will need to input the following information :

For Android phone:

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,supl,mms,dun

EltonB
The app does not work with my phone.

imcphers

You could try this app and see if it works on your P8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapbase.LTEswitcher

EltonB
Maybe Huawei P8 Max has only CAT 6 LTE. Not sure, shows 2G/3G/4G and Has a separate feature CAT 6 LTE.

EltonB
No, just H+, H and 3G!

PhoneSeeker

So you're not getting an LTE signal on your phone?

You can try going to your settings menu, then selecting "cellular networks", then change your "prefered network type" to LTE.

Need Help? Let's chat.