cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Any chance for a competitive response on the $15 plans?

Hi,

There is no competition. It is only illusion that Telus, Bell and Rogers want to create, as if their sub brands compete with each other. Even if it looks like they have different prices the devil is buried in details or fine print. You gain something with one provider and lose with another.

You have to look at your specific needs, network and support and not only how much you are going to pay. In some places Rogers Network works better than Telus/Bell Network and vice versa.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@smp99 wrote:

Update on my test

The following day, nothing. Data stops and no more. At least for this $15 plan. I have since read a note that Lucky has stopped this practice of slow data once main data has run out. I will try to confirm this before I try this on a more expensive plan. 

I will now test Chatr extended data but that could be a week or two 

Another update 

First test proved that LuckyMobile does not have extended data past their plan allotment

Now Chatr

I got my SIM today I bought off of eBay. Signed up for $25 Data plan. Chatr 3G data definitely is not as snappy as Lucky or PM but not bad. Reminder - I put this into a TurboHub with the intention I may use it as cheap internet for a rural area cottage. xPlorenet would be cost prohibitive for now.

Once I blew through my 500MB it did slow down considerably. But it did continue to work. I hooked up a laptop. Web pages loaded, but slow, but if all you are doing is checking news/weather or email it should be ok. Then I added my phone to mix and checked out a few sites. It was better. I expected this as many mobile site are more data efficient.  Once again, no media but info sites, twitter, email, iMessage, including pics all worked. 

This is day one. I will test for a while. But yes, it seems like unlimited data for $25 month. I do wish PM could do something like this. I would pay well over $50/month for unlimited LTE data capped at 1mbs.  

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@smp99 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Update on my test

The following day, nothing. Data stops and no more. At least for this $15 plan. I have since read a note that Lucky has stopped this practice of slow data once main data has run out. I will try to confirm this before I try this on a more expensive plan. 

I will now test Chatr extended data but that could be a week or two 

Another update 

First test proved that LuckyMobile does not have extended data past their plan allotment

Now Chatr

I got my SIM today I bought off of eBay. Signed up for $25 Data plan. Chatr 3G data definitely is not as snappy as Lucky or PM but not bad. Reminder - I put this into a TurboHub with the intention I may use it as cheap internet for a rural area cottage. xPlorenet would be cost prohibitive for now.

Once I blew through my 500MB it did slow down considerably. But it did continue to work. I hooked up a laptop. Web pages loaded, but slow, but if all you are doing is checking news/weather or email it should be ok. Then I added my phone to mix and checked out a few sites. It was better. I expected this as many mobile site are more data efficient.  Once again, no media but info sites, twitter, email, iMessage, including pics all worked. 

This is day one. I will test for a while. But yes, it seems like unlimited data for $25 month. I do wish PM could do something like this. I would pay well over $50/month for unlimited LTE data capped at 1mbs.  

I have wondered how well streaming audio would work under the cap?  Or VOIP apps?

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bridonca wrote:

I have wondered how well streaming audio would work under the cap?  Or VOIP apps?

I have just tested Google Hangouts and Fongo using the ultra-low speed Chatr. It worked! Mind you, my cell phone was the only thing on the network and I only left a five second VM to my home office. But I could hear the greeting and VM playbck was fine. If I had to pick, I think Fongo was better. 

When I was checking a few things this morning on my phone I noticed a little lag this morning but nothing out of the ordinary - remember we have xPlornet sat - but then I later realized I was on Chatr which surprised me how responsive it was. But again, my phone was the only thing on the network

This is an iPhone and WiFi assist is off.