cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for a competitive response on the $15 plans?

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Lucky Mobile has a 500 MB Canada-Wide Data Only Plan for $15 a month. There might even be a possibility that if you go over the 500 MB, you are throttled to 128 kilobits a second.

https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/prepaid

For $15 Chatr offers
100 Minutes Canada-wide Talk
Unlimited Incoming Canada-wide Talk
Unlimited International Text,
Picture and Video Messaging
40 ¢/min for voicemail retrievals

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/chatr.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PlanBrowse

I am eagerly awaiting a competitive response from Public Mobile!

13 REPLIES 13

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bridonca wrote:

I have wondered how well streaming audio would work under the cap?  Or VOIP apps?

I have just tested Google Hangouts and Fongo using the ultra-low speed Chatr. It worked! Mind you, my cell phone was the only thing on the network and I only left a five second VM to my home office. But I could hear the greeting and VM playbck was fine. If I had to pick, I think Fongo was better. 

When I was checking a few things this morning on my phone I noticed a little lag this morning but nothing out of the ordinary - remember we have xPlornet sat - but then I later realized I was on Chatr which surprised me how responsive it was. But again, my phone was the only thing on the network

This is an iPhone and WiFi assist is off. 

bridonca

@smp99 wrote:

@smp99 wrote:

Update on my test

The following day, nothing. Data stops and no more. At least for this $15 plan. I have since read a note that Lucky has stopped this practice of slow data once main data has run out. I will try to confirm this before I try this on a more expensive plan. 

I will now test Chatr extended data but that could be a week or two 

Another update 

First test proved that LuckyMobile does not have extended data past their plan allotment

Now Chatr

I got my SIM today I bought off of eBay. Signed up for $25 Data plan. Chatr 3G data definitely is not as snappy as Lucky or PM but not bad. Reminder - I put this into a TurboHub with the intention I may use it as cheap internet for a rural area cottage. xPlorenet would be cost prohibitive for now.

Once I blew through my 500MB it did slow down considerably. But it did continue to work. I hooked up a laptop. Web pages loaded, but slow, but if all you are doing is checking news/weather or email it should be ok. Then I added my phone to mix and checked out a few sites. It was better. I expected this as many mobile site are more data efficient.  Once again, no media but info sites, twitter, email, iMessage, including pics all worked. 

This is day one. I will test for a while. But yes, it seems like unlimited data for $25 month. I do wish PM could do something like this. I would pay well over $50/month for unlimited LTE data capped at 1mbs.  

I have wondered how well streaming audio would work under the cap?  Or VOIP apps?

smp99

@smp99 wrote:

Update on my test

The following day, nothing. Data stops and no more. At least for this $15 plan. I have since read a note that Lucky has stopped this practice of slow data once main data has run out. I will try to confirm this before I try this on a more expensive plan. 

Another update 

First test proved that LuckyMobile does not have extended data past their plan allotment

Now Chatr

I got my SIM today I bought off of eBay. Signed up for $25 Data plan. Chatr 3G data definitely is not as snappy as Lucky or PM but not bad. Reminder - I put this into a TurboHub with the intention I may use it as cheap internet for a rural area cottage. xPlorenet would be cost prohibitive for now.

Once I blew through my 500MB it did slow down considerably. But it did continue to work. I hooked up a laptop. Web pages loaded, but slow, but if all you are doing is checking news/weather or email it should be ok. Then I added my phone to mix and checked out a few sites. It was better. I expected this as many mobile site are more data efficient.  Once again, no media but info sites, twitter, email, iMessage, including pics all worked. 

This is day one. I will test for a while. But yes, it seems like unlimited data for $25 month. I do wish PM could do something like this. I would pay well over $50/month for unlimited LTE data capped at 1mbs.  

Quest

Hi,

There is no competition. It is only illusion that Telus, Bell and Rogers want to create, as if their sub brands compete with each other. Even if it looks like they have different prices the devil is buried in details or fine print. You gain something with one provider and lose with another.

You have to look at your specific needs, network and support and not only how much you are going to pay. In some places Rogers Network works better than Telus/Bell Network and vice versa.

With the new $25 plan included with data, the price between a $15 and $25 plan is not that big.  $25 plan includes much more.  Adding another new plan could be too many, with Public rather having people go right to $25.

smp99

Update on my test

@smp99 wrote:

Ok I bit and bought the Lucky mobile $15 plan 500MB. This was a test to see how good or bad 128kbs is on LTE. Or even if it exists after 500 MB at 3G. 

First off the 3G is the same as PM, very good. Maybe better, the latency was always below 50 once 28! I blew through the first 500MB in a few hours after some testing. The data continued 😁 so the plan does work after you hit the limit. The thing is I’m still at the same speed. I did get notice that I was half way through my data. Maybe it will slow down overnight. I am looking for cheap basic low speed but always on internet. I put the SIM in a TurboHub. Worked fine. 

I will update 

Chatr, Lucky, Freedom all do that unlimited data but at reduced speeds.   Public Mobile hasn't been budging on that.

smp99

Ok I bit and bought the Lucky mobile $15 plan 500MB. This was a test to see how good or bad 128kbs is on LTE. Or even if it exists after 500 MB at 3G. 

First off the 3G is the same as PM, very good. Maybe better, the latency was always below 50 once 28! I blew through the first 500MB in a few hours after some testing. The data continued 😁 so the plan does work after you hit the limit. The thing is I’m still at the same speed. I did get notice that I was half way through my data. Maybe it will slow down overnight. I am looking for cheap basic low speed but always on internet. I put the SIM in a TurboHub. Worked fine. 

I will update 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just wish PM could come up with an innovative resopnce rather than a competitive one 🙂 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Repost!  I have a number of friends ready to jump over if and when that competitive response comes out.  The current $10 plan is a bit too restrictive for some minimalists.  The $15 offering with talk, text and data is the perfect complement to the $10 plan. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/New-competitive-response-coming-soon/m-...

Public Mobile doesn't really focus on data only plans, so not sure Lucky 500MB will be matched.  The $15 for 100 minutes, 250MB, and unlimited texting I can see because Chatr is doing it.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bridonca wrote:

Lucky Mobile has a 500 MB Canada-Wide Data Only Plan for $15 a month. There might even be a possibility that if you go over the 500 MB, you are throttled to 128 kilobits a second.

For $15 Chatr offers

It is possible and we just have to wait. 

But PM system is not setup to throttled down to kbps level after the alloted data is used up for the current 30 days cycle.  I don't think PM will match that feature. PM plan will simply stop the data until renewal.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@bridonca wrote:

For $15 Chatr offers

@bridonca  Me too! I hope so. Also offer it in a 90 day choice. 90 days for $45.

Need Help? Let's chat.