cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any black Friday deal

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire

Hoping to see deal for black Friday or boxing day. Few member wants to get 12gb 120 dollar plan. 

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
35 REPLIES 35

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@shadowbanker,

The plan you currently have is pretty good.  I wouldn't count on any promos over the holidays. 😞 

shadowbanker
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My plan is scheduled to renew on Dec. 20 so I hope they'll have good promo plans for the holidays. Right now I'm on the 90d/$45 12 gigs LTE plan which is fine for my needs. But I'm looking for even more savings. With the community rewards and autopay it will actually drop to $42/month which is still great. Most people that I know pay $90 a month for the same plan because of the phone discount. I just gotta burn the remaining 5 gigs before Dec. 20.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

No Cyber Monday sale with PM

Michael77

For me the marketing is very confusing. If you are going to advertise, you want a slogan that everyone understands. 

The marketing is simple, they are actually telling you up front, there is no voice support.

If you still sign up,  you know immediately that you must use other solutions to obtain support.

Michael77

@computergeek541, @paulie,

I agree. I think the PM slogan needs to be changed. 

@paulie wrote:

Yes the advertising behind "phone company without phone number" is terrible !   That's like saying Pizza Pizza but we don't sell pizza !  

Doesn't make me want to sign up with them !     Would be simple to say "cheap rates"   or "low cost" cell phone service.  Or even advertise as "no frills" but a cell phone company without a phone number puts me to sleep.

I agree with you on that.  I find that advertising no phone customer service is nonsenscial.   Why advertise something that I believe that the vast majority of customers would believe to be a bad thing to be the main selling point?  I know some are going to be thinking " "because lower operating costs result in customer savings", etc.  Then just say that - No call centre itself is a negative, although it can lead to some positives.

paulie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes the advertising behind "phone company without phone number" is terrible !   That's like saying Pizza Pizza but we don't sell pizza !  

Doesn't make me want to sign up with them !     Would be simple to say "cheap rates"   or "low cost" cell phone service.  Or even advertise as "no frills" but a cell phone company without a phone number puts me to sleep.

Michael77

@Quest, @srlawren,

I personally don't think this brand is doing as well as some people think. This doesn't take away from the fact that the network is really good but if PM really wants to grow they must fix the system glitches. There are a lot of missed opportunities and I feel PM is shooting theirself in the foot for not having better promotions. I will say it now and I will say it again, most of the people I know want to talk to a customer rep on the phone even if it means waiting on hold for awhile. PM needs to have better plan prices to compete with all the other carriers who have call centres.

Quest

Hey to All,

As you know very well @srlawren and @Others that recently PM have started advertising their brand heavily on the TTC buses, our subway system and sometimes in very wired places, I might add. I am thinking it is because you save them a lot of money and they don't know what to do with their money or they desperate for new customers. Smiley Surprised If they are looking for new customers they will have to ultimately come up with something unique. Phone Company "without phone number" may not be enough. Smiley LOL

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Michael77 I don't think it's that.  I think they are just staying the course and weathering out the black friday storm.  Their systems aren't ready for a massive onslaught and they do provide good (no longer amazing, but still good) every day value in their in market plans.  EDIT: slow and steady wins the race!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Michael77

I still wonder if PM is going join Koodo's prepaid service. They are so quiet while other mobile providers are offering some sort of promotion for Black Friday. Mmmmmmmm.

Taekgun

In reading all the questions about if PM should have a Black Friday Promotion, I'm struck by the number of people that seem to expect/demand a promotion or a unbelievable deal to come down the pipe.

Frankly, I have always found (other than the price spike in July 2017 that came back down) PM to be well priced given the service and support level.  Both of these levels aren't for everyone but I think we have great coverage on whatever devices we want (for the most part) on a national network.  Heck, even getting 5GB for $60 on unlimited province-wide calling w/ unlimited international texts is pretty darn good deal when compared to every other offering out there.

This has led me to the #NoGames on Black Friday that OnePlus has on their website.   I don't think there is a need for a steep discount on what is already a great product/offering from PM.  I'm grateful for the plan that I'm on and still tell others about what PM does and costs.  I say enough to those people clamouring for more gigs or more discounts - it's already great almost everyday of the year.  If you don't like it, another carrier out there is willing to take more of your money per month.  Thanks PM for being what you are - FAIRLY PRICED.

Wonder_why

@paulie wrote:

Black Friday a non-event at PM.    Maybe cyber Monday ? 

I don't think so with PM

paulie

Black Friday a non-event at PM.    Maybe cyber Monday ? 

@jeffster1970 wrote:

@Michael77 wrote:

It is sad that Telus does not care about PM. They don't make enough money from us. 

I agree they don't really care. But they make enough money.  

Us PM'ers are the pioneers of less expensive cellular services. Eventually more people will be like us, and Telus will have to care. 

I am so gunning for Shaw to have success -- but hopefully not become like Robellus in terms of stupid expensive plans. 

Looks like they are already heading that way, though...

FM is no real option for me (not living in a major urban centre, so any plan structure that has "in-zone" and "roaming" is too expensive because I would always be on "roaming"...) but I really hope that there would at least be a ripple effect. The future will tell...

jeffster1970

@Michael77 wrote:

It is sad that Telus does not care about PM. They don't make enough money from us. 

I agree they don't really care. But they make enough money.  

Us PM'ers are the pioneers of less expensive cellular services. Eventually more people will be like us, and Telus will have to care. 

I am so gunning for Shaw to have success -- but hopefully not become like Robellus in terms of stupid expensive plans. 

Michael77

It is sad that Telus does not care about PM. They want it to look like they care but they really want it to fail. They were never interested in the PM customer base to begin with. They don't make enough money from us. So let the system fall apart and then fold PM. Blow it up. Telus can then say they tried to make it work. It's all smoke and mirrors. It's very sad indeed. 

As @srlawren has stated, that was so very frustrating.  I was briefly a new member prior to the Fall 2016 Promo, getting on board with the then new pricing setup, on a 30 day, province wide, global texting, 1 GB plan for $42, just to get away from the crapy service I had from Wind.

Tried to future plan change to the 90 day plan as above, but with 6 GB over 90 for $120.  Sadly, plan change took the right amount of money, but only activated the 30 day plan.  Had to get the moderators involved.

The... miracles happened.  The promo was announced, and I decided that for no extra cost to me, 12 GB was a no brainer future dated plan change.  I worried so much about  the renewal, as it had failed previously for me.  Luckily, December 12th, the extra data was added, and plan change was successful.

It wasn't until the end of January, or maybe the first half of February that things were straightened out.  Many new members were trying to place on hold their activation of the promo, as they wanted to wait until their current plans ended with their carriers - a mistake in my opinion, as they were continuing to pay elevated costs for the plans they were on, compared to the offering from Public Mobile, PLUS still paying off device subsidies.

I've already paid for my early cancellation from Wind (device subsidy only), and the reduction in the price I pay on a 30 day vs. monthly was a dramatic $30.

CalvinW

Judging by how much Telus cares, I’m pretty sure PM will be over before you know it. Things are not looking too bright for them 

Wonder_why

All big 3 and FM having Black Friday sale, comon PM show us Promo 5GB with bonus

Michael77

@Quest

Lol

Quest

@Michael77 wrote:

@closng wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

I would rather want them to fix all issues. There have been one bug after another and many improvements they can make to improve the online experience. Sorry, but until then (could be a few years :(), I don't want them to launch that promo. 

I have to agree with @NDesai. Public Mobile is not ready for a promo yet at current state. The bugs and glitches need to be taken care of first, otherwise, that will just deter future potential customers.

Yes, I agree.  The bugs need to be fixed.  I hope this happens soon.  It's almost like we are the poor cousin of Telus. 😉

@Michael77  you are aiming so high. Smiley Surprised  Poor Cousin of Telus and Poor Brother of Koodo, as well.  Smiley LOL

srlawren

@CalvinW you're right that I'm less personally concerned since I am on the 2016 Fall Promo already.  However, I strongly feel that running that promo again with the current state of the union here would be crippling and do more harm than good to PM as a brand.

As a refresher for anyone that wasn't around or active here in Oct 2016-Jan 2017:  PM ran the highly popular $120/90 day plan with unlimited prov-wide calling, unlimited global texting, and 12GB data.  The plan was open to anyone--existing customers, and new customers coming in from any carrier.  As you can imagine, it was wildly popular, and tons of activations started rolling in.  Which is when the system bugs that were managable under normal loads started becoming a MASSIVE problem.  Activation errors.  Porting errors (many were user error, but not all).  Future-dated plan change problems.  People repeating the same-already answered questions about the promo and how to get it and who could get it and how long could you keep it and what would it cost after rewards and taxes and I already activated but I can't receive calls or texts and I activated but nothing is working and I've had no service for 24, 36, 48, 72, ...hours now and still waiting and why haven't the mods read my PM or responded and is this a scam? and you took my money but nothing works <profanity profanity profanity> and so on.  Wait times for help ballooned up to I believe a peak of about 2 weeks at the worst of it.  Mods worked day and night to try to keep up but they couldn't.  Regulars were here posting day and night trying to help but almost everything required account help which we can't do anything about, other than aswer the repetitive questions over and over on page after page of a couple of massive threads as well as new threads that would pop up every few mins asking the same thing over and over that were already answered on the big threads dozens of times and so on and so on.

So, what's changed since that promo ended?  The email and moderator teams merged, making a larger pool with a single channel.  That's it.  Bugs have actually gotten worse rather than better.  There's still not ticketing system so you send a PM and just have to wait and hope that someone has read it and is working on it soon.  These are not the conditions that I would want to see another hugely popular promo run within.  It's just not.  I'd effectively take a vacation from the community if that happened again, because I'm not putting myself through that again.  I found myself on the brink of an anxiety attack more than once during that time and had to step away.  It was awful, awful, awful.  I don't want to see that promo come back at all ever until most of the issues are fixed, which, sadly, will be never because Telus does not seem to want to invest anything into this brand these days.  It's really, really sad.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalvinW

You guys are acting as if the bugs are going to eventually get ironed out. There will always be new bugs so at this rate, there will never be a promo again 

CalvinW

People are only saying that because they are already on the last Fall promo. I don’t see them saying the same thing if they missed out

smp99

Regardless - everyone should a spare SIM or 2 on hand ready for activation for backup or in case a promo comes on. You want your number in the referral box 

srlawren

@NDesai yep, bringing back the 2016 Fall Promo would be crippling, unfortunately.  

Michael77

@closng wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

I would rather want them to fix all issues. There have been one bug after another and many improvements they can make to improve the online experience. Sorry, but until then (could be a few years :(), I don't want them to launch that promo. 

I have to agree with @NDesai. Public Mobile is not ready for a promo yet at current state. The bugs and glitches need to be taken care of first, otherwise, that will just deter future potential customers.

Yes, I agree.  The bugs need to be fixed.  I hope this happens soon.  It's almost like we are the poor cousin of Telus. 😉

closng

@NDesai wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.