cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advantages of keeping your sim in when you travel abroad?

Jasok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am travelling to China and Europe, I know my prepaid PM sim won't work there but can I still receive international texts, and can I use it for emergencies? Is there any cost for emergency calling and is there any cost if I keep my sim inside my phone?

14 REPLIES 14

@smp99,

LOL ... I was so going to say this previously -- Didn't seem right to do it 🙂 LOL

Thanks for the chuckle.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I think the biggest advantage of keeping your SIM in the phone while you travel is you won't have to look for it when you get home because you forgot where you put it.

Jasok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It did for me before.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jasok wrote:

I am travelling to China and Europe, I know my prepaid PM sim won't work there but can I still receive international texts,

@Jasok  Unfortunately not possible.

and can I use it for emergencies? Is there any cost for emergency calling and is there any cost if I keep my sim inside my phone?

@Jasok  Emergency calling is free and will only work locally. There is absolutely no cost in keeping you sim in your phone. In fact, it's recommended because when on WiFi if  have your sim card in your phone apps that require/perform number verification like Hangouts Dialer and will allow you to make calls anywhere in  North America for free. Google Duo will also work for video/regular calls.

If you have a VOIP service configure/available you can also forward your calls to that number and receive VM vial email.

Also, if you have a VOIP service you can forward your number and get VM via email.

@LieuxIf you want to use a different SIM card in the same phone.. yes.. I think Whatsapp itself won't trigger the need to verify the SIM via text if you are solely on wifi while travelling. The problem happens is when you need to verify your Public Mobile phone number while you are in Europe.

@GinYVR wrote:

@LieuxBecause Whatsapp identity is based on phone number. there is a FAQ to change the number, useful for travelling..

If I understand well...you need to put a new sim from the new country???

@LieuxBecause Whatsapp identity is based on phone number. there is a FAQ to change the number, useful for travelling..

@popping wrote:

@Jasok 

I use WhatsApp to send messages home using wifi when I travel.  WhatsApp will not work without the SIM card installed.

Interessant.....do you know why?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jasok 

I use WhatsApp to send messages home using wifi when I travel.  WhatsApp will not work without the SIM card installed.

zfx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You won't receive anything because PM doesn't support international roaming except the US. Your phone won't registered on any roaming network like China mobile or China unicom for example if you go to China. It just shows no service. And you can't make any calls of course. I just came back from China and that's what I experienced...

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@JasokNo cost, but your SIM's identifier will be queried, stored on foreign databases, so it depends on how much you care about your privacy and your adversion to government overreach.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Jasok I was curious... I just read that you will be able to call the 112 (911 in Europe) even if you don’t have a sim in your phone. In Asia ?!!!

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can leave the sim in but you won't be able to get any service to make calls or text.  PM does not offering roaming except in the US.  You could buy a local sim to make calls or if you have access to wi-fi then you could use apps like Textnow, Skype, or Fongo to make calls and text.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Jasok wrote:

I am travelling to China and Europe, I know my prepaid PM sim won't work there but can I still receive international texts, and can I use it for emergencies? Is there any cost for emergency calling and is there any cost if I keep my sim inside my phone?

No you can’t receive text when you will be in Europ or Asia.... NO SERVICE. Can you use it for emergencies?? Good question in Canada you can use your phone without a Sim to call 911....And you will never be overcharged for anything with public mobile because it’s prepaid so you can let your sim in. 

Need Help? Let's chat.