cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Oreo rollout

Clefort88
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hey all! 

Just wondering if anyone has an actual concrete date for the Oreo update to rollout to phones like the Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 and such? 

I know that Koodo started to do some rollouts to the S6 as of this morning. 

Thanks for any insight!! 

5 REPLIES 5

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I received mine for my S7 about a week ago. There are some nice features, but one thing that is kind of a pain is the fact that there seem to be issues with notifications in general. They are being delayed or in some cases not coming at all. So I hope they fix that up.

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey @Clefort88,

Roll-outs of Oreo and other operating systems are typically a bit more controlled by the manufacturer rather than security updates that are for carriers based.  A few comments so far are correct; the carrier can delay the rollout a bit but typically if you have the Canadian variant of the A5, it will rollout to everyone no matter their carrier on the same date (doesn't matter what CSC your phone is), however international unlocked phones from the factory may get them sooner.

Sammobile.com has been the most up to date source of Samsung info that I can find but the Samsung forums sometimes have hidden gems in them as well so it's worth have a read if you care to.

IMO - I think the A5 won't see the update until late July or August as the S-line will likely get Oreo first, not to mention the A8 (2018).  With my S7 recently getting the update, it'll be worth the wait for you - much smoother, better battery life for me and the way I use my phone.

One site to keep an eye on will be the Telus OS update schedule.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Software-Update-Schedule/ta-p/53566

@GreatCanadian wrote:

@will13am, yeah I do the same, but the June update came OTA upon its release. I was surprised with that.

GC

My June update wasn't available to me upon release for my Essential I still had to switch sims then a few days later I saw people posting it was available.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am, yeah I do the same, but the June update came OTA upon its release. I was surprised with that.

GC

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Telus doesn't really put out any formal schedules for this kind of stuff.  So, it's when ever.  I have to remove my Public Mobile SIM every month so that I can get my monthly security update from essential without Telus getting in the way. 

Need Help? Let's chat.