cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Analysis: Why the Koodo offer ($40/4gb) is more expensive & How Telus should respond moving

@NDesaiwrote:

Why is everyone forgetting that Koodo plan includes Canada-wide talk and not just province-wide. Whenever PM launched a promo, i have seen people saying things like why no Canada-wide talk blah blah. Now, when it comes to this, no one cares that its Canada-wide talk. After all, having Canada-wide talk will always cost you more compare to only Province-wide talk. 

There is an important difference. If we signed up for a province-wide plan to begin with then having Canada-wide calling was not a major concern. Even though telecom companies place higher-value on Canada-wide calling than province-wide, it adds no value to PM users who signed up for a province-wide plan and only call within their province. For the rare circumstances that users call outside their province they use VOIP services that allow free calls across US/Canada or a one-time prepaid add-on. You can't add Canada-wide calling to someone's plan and expect them to pay more for it when it is of little to no value to them.

Adding Canada-wide calling probably has more to do with the fact that all of Koodo's plans are Canada-wide. You can ask current PM customers, would you like to keep your current plan with PM but pay $5-$10 more per month for Canada-wide calling? The overwhelming majority will say no, otherwise they wouldn't have signed-up for province-wide plan in the first place.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: Analysis: Why the Koodo offer ($40/4gb) is more expensive & How Telus should respond moving

@Anabolic Nice graphs...from someone who accepted the Koodo offer monthly data technically is actually 4096MB.

Highlighted
R47
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Also another thing to look at is Koodo's US roaming. I have not yet but on my checklist to check out.

I find Koodos roaming alot worse. To the US, it's $7 a day, and you can access your usual plan in the states, so on a 10 day trip that's $70. Whereas Public mobile, for 10 days, it's $8 for either unlimited talk or $8 for text, $15 for both, or $25 for talk, text and 250mb of data, or $30 for 1GB of data. If you just want roaming for simple communication and are ok using WiFi for internet, it's hard to beat $8 total for unlimited talk or $8 for unlimited texting. Even $25 for talk, text and a bit of data is almost 3 times less than Koodo would be. This is assuming a 10 day trip. If you're going on a shorter trip and using more data, Koodo may be cheaper. If you just need a ton of data, Koodo also might be cheaper. it really depends on how you're travelling and what you need your phone for. But for most people, I think Public is the better US roaming plan.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@canucks4life wrote:

Nice graphs...from someone who accepted the Koodo offer monthly data technically is actually 4096MB.

I noticed the same assumption that 1GB=1024MB on PM and 1GB=1000MB on Koodo.

I'd thought it might be based on fine-print contract details, but it's apparently just an error.

@Anabolicwrote:

PM_Analysis_1.PNG

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you need Canada wide calling/roaming (voice), if you need a small tab for a phone then the Koodo offer maybe for you. 

Otherwise everyone should calculate what makes most sense for them

Oracle

@Anabolic, I commend you for providing such a comprehensive assessment.  I tried to develop an "equivalent" migration plan on the weekend.  Interestingly, we are in violent agreement.  My list of features is just like your list including 5 gigs of data.  The one thing I didn't consider is alternate migration plans options like $60/10 gigs to improve migration efficacy. 

Everything else being equal, if they demonstrate a willingness ensure long term plan stability, I would not be going anywhere.  After all, it was the disruption of this stability that led the current turmoil.  Hopefully we will see some signs of whether the future here is indeed friendly or not in the coming weeks.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@R47wrote:

I find Koodos roaming alot worse. To the US, it's $7 a day, and you can access your usual plan in the states, so on a 10 day trip that's $70. Whereas Public mobile, for 10 days, it's $8 for either unlimited talk or $8 for text, $15 for both, or $25 for talk, text and 250mb of data, or $30 for 1GB of data. If you just want roaming for simple communication and are ok using WiFi for internet, it's hard to beat $8 total for unlimited talk or $8 for unlimited texting. Even $25 for talk, text and a bit of data is almost 3 times less than Koodo would be. This is assuming a 10 day trip. If you're going on a shorter trip and using more data, Koodo may be cheaper. If you just need a ton of data, Koodo also might be cheaper. it really depends on how you're travelling and what you need your phone for. But for most people, I think Public is the better US roaming plan.

Ugh, tough one. For me, most of my many US trips are just for the weekend so I've always felt the 10-day thing is overkill and never bothered plus where I am generally going doesn't have good cell service anyway (which is going to change in a couple months apparently as a cell tower is going in).

I'm somewhat lucky in that I have a Comcast account so I can use Xfinity Wifi in a lot of places so that definitely helps.

I'm going to Vegas this weekend to watch the Canucks lose play against the Golden Knights - it's only a four day trip so it's arguable in that situation if PM or Koodo's roaming would be better.

For a full ten day trip, or close to it, PM hands down.

C'mon EU roaming rules.... get over here....

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@canucks4lifewrote:

@Anabolic Nice graphs...from someone who accepted the Koodo offer monthly data technically is actually 4096MB.

I based that off the plan on Koodo's website and a signed contract. It was unknown to me that usuable data is 4,096. I have updated the OP to reflect this. Thanks for the input.

Mayor / Maire

@Anabolicwrote:

@NDesaiwrote:

Why is everyone forgetting that Koodo plan includes Canada-wide talk and not just province-wide. Whenever PM launched a promo, i have seen people saying things like why no Canada-wide talk blah blah. Now, when it comes to this, no one cares that its Canada-wide talk. After all, having Canada-wide talk will always cost you more compare to only Province-wide talk. 

There is an important difference. If we signed up for a province-wide plan to begin with then having Canada-wide calling was not a major concern. Even though telecom companies place higher-value on Canada-wide calling than province-wide, it adds no value to PM users who signed up for a province-wide plan and only call within their province. For the rare circumstances that users call outside their province they use VOIP services that allow free calls across US/Canada or a one-time prepaid add-on. You can't add Canada-wide calling to someone's plan and expect them to pay more for it when it is of little to no value to them.

Adding Canada-wide calling probably has more to do with the fact that all of Koodo's plans are Canada-wide. You can ask current PM customers, would you like to keep your current plan with PM but pay $5-$10 more per month for Canada-wide calling? The overwhelming majority will say no, otherwise they wouldn't have signed-up for province-wide plan in the first place.

A lot of people would’ve taken canadawide calling if it was offered in the fall promo for an extra $15/90 days. 

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@Anabolicwrote:

1. Honour the original $120/4gb agreement on PM indefinitely. No surprises.
  2. Offer a plan at Koodo for no more than $40/ month
  3. Offer at least 5gb / month of data
  4. Offer the promo for a duration near/including the end of a user's cycle, so they don't feel pressure to give up pre-payments
  5. Offer a credit to absorb the SIM cost and loss of prepaid add-ons from PM
  6. Migrate credit balances from PM to Koodo (those holding an "available balance" from applying PM vouchers)

Excellent analysis, for me even 4Gb/m is acceptable if Koodo allows banking unused data to carry forward for the next two months (ie mimic the three mo 12 gb cycle).