cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Amber Alert opt-out

@sheytoon wrote:

Regardless of phone settings, you cannot opt out of alerts when connected to LTE.

The only option is to switch the phone to 3G or power off.

Most phones will silence the alert if it's set to Do Not Disturb mode.

Phone software can unpredictable.  On some phones DND mode is followed, while on some, the sound goes off anyway.  I've also noticed that with some models, plugging in a pair of headphones will make the sound only play in the headphones.  However, on ghese devices, all notifcations will only route the sound there.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@CellGirl wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@CellGirl The AlertReady system in Canada includes the weather, flooding, and AmberAlerts. It's all one package.

On my phone, I can toggle each of these settings:

• extreme alert
  • severe alert
  • amber alert 
  • wpas test alert

I disabled all, except for "extreme alert", but the amber alert still popped up the other night. I didn't know at that time, I needed to disable my LTE setting too. It's unfortunate in doing that, it would also disable the extreme alert, so sounds like it's all or nothing  Smiley Sad

Looking at a Samsung A5 now and it has similar settings for emergency alerts.  However, I understand these are for SMS (text) based notification systems.  Our system is not text based - even though it appears that way - and these settings are overridden.

The AlertReady system is designed to override the settings on your phone.  If you're actually able to have DND function, you're lucky.

The alerts are supposed to come to your device if on LTE and force full volume sound, vibrate, and display warnings.