cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Amber Alert opt-out

Use a BlackBerry 10 device! Even when on LTE, they don't get amber alerts. Fewer apps work on them than other phones, too, so the outside world won't bother as much. Smiley Happy 

Oracle

@DragonRU wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

But it would be possible to do it on the provider level, or even completely skip those alerts, like Koodo is doing. So my question and suggestion is - can Public Mobile do something about this issue?

How is Koodo allowing customers to skip emergency broadcast alerts?  It's my understanding that they're not allowed to provide such an option, although I do know that at Public Mobile, turning off LTE will result in no alerts with the siren sound coming in.

They do not allow to skip them - they just did not implemented their broadcasting, so noone recieves them.

TOTALLY INCORRECT, just like other statements you have made they are made up.  https://community.koodomobile.com/android-81490/opt-out-of-amber-alert-7793418

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *

@DragonRU, testing STARTED last year, and many people were not receiving the alerts, even the test alerts.  If you had a different phone without LTE, you would not have received it on any carrier, as the alerts are ONLY on the LTE network-attached devices via cellular carriers.

I turned on the cable box at 6 and had to read the alerts sent after the fact to me.  My cell phone got them at whatever time they were received, however, I did not hear them come in.

Stop being the victim in this.  Turn off your LTE if you do not wish to receive these alerts.

I await the lawsuit against Public Mobile not offering real 3G as advertised and all it's advantages!  Smiley Very Happy

I am fortunate to be in an area that has little need for Amber alerts.   So this is a non issue for me.  By law, you should be able to get Amber alerts disabled.  I am sure it will be worked on if the alert continues to be used in such an indiscriminant fashion.   As an example, there is no reason for it to be blaring, it can vibrate.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@bridonca wrote:

By law, you should be able to get Amber alerts disabled.  I am sure it will be worked on if the alert continues to be used in such an indiscriminant fashion.   As an example, there is no reason for it to be blaring, it can vibrate.

How system designed, with 3 levels of alerts, it should be possible to disable them. But idiots in the government decide that all alert should be broadcasted as top level, which was designed for dangers that are life-treatening for everybody, not just single person. I not sure if this problem can be resolved on provider level, but it worth to try.

@DragonRU wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

What an assinine post.

For people who cannot calculate risks and prefer to kill hundred people rather than one - yes, it looks asinine

Really? You have empirical evidence from a peer reviewed study that shows that the use of the amber alert system by law enforcement has caused sleep deprivation with adverse consequences? Until you do ... it's assinine.

@bridonca wrote:

I await the lawsuit against Public Mobile not offering real 3G as advertised and all it's advantages!  Smiley Very Happy

I am fortunate to be in an area that has little need for Amber alerts.   So this is a non issue for me.  By law, you should be able to get Amber alerts disabled.  I am sure it will be worked on if the alert continues to be used in such an indiscriminant fashion.   As an example, there is no reason for it to be blaring, it can vibrate.

@bridonca, where are you getting your information?  The mandate is to provide this AlertReady, service which includes Amber Alerts to call LTE Enabled devices that are compatible on their networks.  There is no Opt-Out option for consumers.

The 3G Speed plans are still LTE provided, so whether you have a 3G Speed plan at Public Mobile, or the full 4G LTE unthrottled service, by default you will get the notification.  The only ways to not get it are turn off your phone, or force your device to NOT USE LTE.  This is a device setting.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This is indeed a complex topic and a debate between the rights of the individual, protection of children and police and/or government intrusion into our lives.

In general, I feel an alert system is a good thing but I feel the current implementation is heavy handed.  The obnoxious sound as well the message itself is, in my opinion, overkill.  It should be possible to mute the sound between certain hours or completely.  And, was it really necessary to send out two messages? Surely, the first message was enough.

Sure, as others have stated, you can switch your phone off at night, or, switch LTE off but both of these options place the onus on the recipient rather than the sender.  

At present, the system is being used for suspected child abductions but what happens when it is used for other public service warnings like fire and flood.  As we know from the proliferation of silly and/or mistaken calls to 911, the use of the system will only increase over time.  

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

From the Alert Ready website:

"When an alert is heard, it is the responsibility of the public to stop, listen and respond as directed by the Government Issuer."

This definitely has the potential for government overreach into our private lives.  

@LovesToPM 

That's awesome! So when I switch to a 3G plan, I shouldn't receive those alerts :-)