cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amber Alert opt-out

DragonRU
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Today at 3am we got an AMBER alert about abduction that happened around 3pm, what is even worse - that alert was repeated at 4am. Only thing it proves - that persons that developed that system, and person who make a decision about issuing alert are both terrible incompetent - because this alert won't help to find that child, but seriously damages public health instead. 

Unfortuantely, it is not possible to opt-out on personal level, because those alerts are sent as presidentional level alerts, which is a terrible misuse of system. But it would be possible to do it on the provider level, or even completely skip those alerts, like Koodo is doing. So my question and suggestion is - can Public Mobile do something about this issue?

74 REPLIES 74

you would disable LTE so you don't have to get this Amber alert?  It's not like you know when it will come and you can't be "prepared", unless you turn it off all the time.

Honest, I know it's not pleasant, but somebody out there needs help desperately, so, I understand. 

But it is interesting, 2 phones I have  One was loud as it should be, the other's ring was really low.  I thought the system would override your ringer setting and will ring all the way high  

Also for my 2 phones, sometimes only 1 receive the amber alerts. (But both phones got it last night).

vitalyr

Did it work? I mean disabling LTE.

The AlertReady system is designed to override the settings on your phone.  If you're actually able to have DND function, you're lucky.

The alerts are supposed to come to your device if on LTE and force full volume sound, vibrate, and display warnings.

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CellGirl wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

@CellGirl The AlertReady system in Canada includes the weather, flooding, and AmberAlerts. It's all one package.

On my phone, I can toggle each of these settings:

• extreme alert
  • severe alert
  • amber alert 
  • wpas test alert

I disabled all, except for "extreme alert", but the amber alert still popped up the other night. I didn't know at that time, I needed to disable my LTE setting too. It's unfortunate in doing that, it would also disable the extreme alert, so sounds like it's all or nothing  😞

Looking at a Samsung A5 now and it has similar settings for emergency alerts.  However, I understand these are for SMS (text) based notification systems.  Our system is not text based - even though it appears that way - and these settings are overridden.

@sheytoon wrote:

Regardless of phone settings, you cannot opt out of alerts when connected to LTE.

The only option is to switch the phone to 3G or power off.

Most phones will silence the alert if it's set to Do Not Disturb mode.

Phone software can unpredictable.  On some phones DND mode is followed, while on some, the sound goes off anyway.  I've also noticed that with some models, plugging in a pair of headphones will make the sound only play in the headphones.  However, on ghese devices, all notifcations will only route the sound there.

Regardless of phone settings, you cannot opt out of alerts when connected to LTE.

The only option is to switch the phone to 3G or power off.

Most phones will silence the alert if it's set to Do Not Disturb mode.

CellGirl

@stonechucker wrote:

@CellGirl The AlertReady system in Canada includes the weather, flooding, and AmberAlerts. It's all one package.

On my phone, I can toggle each of these settings:

• extreme alert
  • severe alert
  • amber alert 
  • wpas test alert

I disabled all, except for "extreme alert", but the amber alert still popped up the other night. I didn't know at that time, I needed to disable my LTE setting too. It's unfortunate in doing that, it would also disable the extreme alert, so sounds like it's all or nothing  😞

jimbobs

Can I propose a resolution to this thread:

1. The concept of alerts (Amber, weather, etc.) is acceptable to most people.

2. The current implementation in Canada is a little heavy handed and should be reviewed.

3. There are two solutions available:

• turn your phone off and get no alerts, calls, alarms, etc.
  • switch your data settings to 3G rather than LTE and block Alerts while retaining other functionality.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@CellGirl wrote:

@stonechucker 

a tornado warning is a little different than an amber alert, and one I wouldn't mind being alerted to! lol

have a nice day Woman Wink

You do know they use the same system correct?

https://www.alertready.ca/#types

CellGirl

@LovesToPM wrote:

@CellGirl wrote:

@LovesToPM 

That's awesome! So when I switch to a 3G plan, I shouldn't receive those alerts 🙂

@CellGirl, as you heard by now, we have to make the setting change on our phone. Smiley Happy

@LovesToPM 

yep! 😉

CellGirl

@stonechucker 

a tornado warning is a little different than an amber alert, and one I wouldn't mind being alerted to! lol

have a nice day Woman Wink

@CellGirl 

@CellGirl wrote:

@Barth 

ya, well most people are sound asleep at that time, so whatever

How about a warning for an approaching tornado at 3 am?  Would you rather sleep through without a warning?

Seriously people - get over it.  If you do not want the notifications, connect only to the 3G ntwork.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@CellGirl wrote:

@LovesToPM 

That's awesome! So when I switch to a 3G plan, I shouldn't receive those alerts 🙂

No, that's not how it is.  The emergency alert system messages being received has to do with the type of network that you're connected to.  You can disable LTE on your device even if you have a full-speed LTE plan and choose to use the "3g" network.

All Public Mobile plans, whether it's a full-speed LTE plan or something that Public Mobile calls "3g", have access to both "3g" and LTE networks.

@Alan_K as promised, I'm tagging you yet again because here is another instance where calling your throttled LTE plans "3G" is leading to confusion and misunderstanding.  

@srlawren, good point! Do you or anyone have any suggested name changes?
Sooner or later, we will be dealing with 5G too.

@CellGirl wrote:

@LovesToPM 

@CellGirl, as you heard by now, we have to make the setting change on our phone. Smiley Happy

jimbobs

@JackQuint wrote:

Simply put: if it saves one life, it's a good thing. 

And out come the cliches!  It's easy to save lives and we could do a better job of it if we really wanted to do so: lower speed limits, dedicated cycle lanes, etc. etc. So why don't we do that stuff?  Amber alerts are an easy solution to a questionable problem. Implementing this system makes the powers-that-be feel good.  Look at us, look what we've done to help ..... And the beauty of this from a government perspective is that the costs are dumped onto consumers and it's not called a tax.

jimbobs

@RossN wrote:

Hi I hope all you naysayers or your families never need the service I sincerely mean that!Smiley Frustrated

There is a difference between the general and the specific.  In general, alerts are a good thing. Specifically, the system as implemented was not thought through and is too broad.  It will alienate people rather than encourage them to action. 

CellGirl

@Barth 

funny dood

Barth
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@CellGirl wrote:

The idea that ostriches bury their heads in the sand is a myth because doing so would cause them to asphyxiate. Today I learned that some people don't let the lack of oxygen get in the way of a heartfelt 'whatever'.

CellGirl

@Barth 

Barth

@DragonRU wrote:

... that common good is based on individual rights ...

I think perhaps your sleep deprivation has affected your reasoning powers.

Also (in a subsequent post) you said, "Do you agree that 3am is worst time for such alerts?"

No, I will not agree with that. I have been driving for work plenty of times at 3 AM. I have also been trying to sleep at 3 PM, and been woken by a firetruck that turned on its siren by my home. Talk about alarming. 

But I accept that it is for the common good.

Hope you sleep tonight.

JackQuint

One of the nice things about the PM community is that it was free of the infection of ill-informed political commentary that infects so many other places. Yet, some of you have managed to turn a thread about amber alerts into just that. Give it a rest. Amber alerts are not the thin edge of the wedge into government overreach, no one is trampling on our rights as individuals, this is not the end of freedom in our society. Nor is it a basis for the junk science speculation from the OP about how the alert system is inducing widespread industrial accidents and calamities on our roads. 

Simply put: if it saves one life, it's a good thing. 

DragonRU

@Barth wrote:

Erhm! You may be in your bedroom at 3 AM, but thousands of others are moving around and able to be aware.

Do you agree that 3am is worst time for such alerts? If yes - why you defending it?

DragonRU

@JackQuint wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

What an assinine post.

For people who cannot calculate risks and prefer to kill hundred people rather than one - yes, it looks asinine

Really? You have empirical evidence from a peer reviewed study that shows that the use of the amber alert system by law enforcement has caused sleep deprivation with adverse consequences? Until you do ... it's assinine.

There is plenty of such studies about summer time shift. This intrusion is way more intense than that. If you're prefer to ignore that - it does not means this is not exist.

And, by the way, i like your spelling. "assinine"

DragonRU

@Barth wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

They have a reasonable expectation that their phone should work, and not wake them up at 3 am with nonsense that does not apply to them.  

Is there any chance we will solve this age old question today? Are individual rights more important than the common good?

But there are some from whom we do not expect a consideration for the common good:

When people forget that common good is based on individual rights, and ignore them pretending they doing it "for common good" - it never ends well.

Barth

@bridonca wrote:

They have a reasonable expectation that their phone should work, and not wake them up at 3 am with nonsense that does not apply to them.  

Is there any chance we will solve this age old question today? Are individual rights more important than the common good?

But there are some from whom we do not expect a consideration for the common good:

p_101528432.jpg

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bridonca wrote:

@bridonca unfortunately, they'd probably have to go off the grid for this.  This [amber alerts] is a fact of life in modern society and one we're going to have to learn how to deal with.  

As a somewhat amusing (but sitll fairly true) aside:  I find that the majority of the notifications I get on my phone (at any time of the day) are nonsense that does not apply to me!

EDIT: back to a serious note:  if it was your child or elderly parent or <other vulnerable person you care about> that was at risk, would you not be happy to make the trade off of waking and annoying people that won't be able to help if there's even a remote possibility that it can help safely locate your loved one, if someone that reads it and cares happesn to cross paths with them?  Take a few moments and really think about this.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bridonca

@stonechucker wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

I await the lawsuit against Public Mobile not offering real 3G as advertised and all it's advantages!  😄

I am fortunate to be in an area that has little need for Amber alerts.   So this is a non issue for me.  By law, you should be able to get Amber alerts disabled.  I am sure it will be worked on if the alert continues to be used in such an indiscriminant fashion.   As an example, there is no reason for it to be blaring, it can vibrate.

@bridonca, where are you getting your information?  The mandate is to provide this AlertReady, service which includes Amber Alerts to call LTE Enabled devices that are compatible on their networks.  There is no Opt-Out option for consumers.

The 3G Speed plans are still LTE provided, so whether you have a 3G Speed plan at Public Mobile, or the full 4G LTE unthrottled service, by default you will get the notification.  The only ways to not get it are turn off your phone, or force your device to NOT USE LTE.  This is a device setting.

Though it looks like I insinuated there was a law in place, that was not my intention, and a poor choice of words on my part.  I have no idea what the law is on this, but my opinion is that there should, by law, be an opt out system.   Forcing a system on anyone that is in no position to do anything (sleeping) is a piss poor system, that should have had a lot more testing before it was implemented.   You got a whole pile of people clogging the 911 lines because of this.   Instead of blaming the user,  more thought should be put into making the system work properly.  

As for changing the phone to 3G, if you know how to do that, that is a non issue.  Most people I know do not know how to do that.  They have a reasonable expectation that their phone should work, and not wake them up at 3 am with nonsense that does not apply to them.  They do know how to call 911 though. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@CellGirl wrote:

@LovesToPM 

No, that's not how it is.  The emergency alert system messages being received has to do with the type of network that you're connected to.  You can disable LTE on your device even if you have a full-speed LTE plan and choose to use the "3g" network.

All Public Mobile plans, whether it's a full-speed LTE plan or something that Public Mobile calls "3g", have access to both "3g" and LTE networks.

@Alan_K as promised, I'm tagging you yet again because here is another instance where calling your throttled LTE plans "3G" is leading to confusion and misunderstanding.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

Hi I hope all you naysayers or your families never need the service I sincerely mean that!Smiley Frustrated

Need Help? Let's chat.