Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Amber Alert opt-out

@Barth wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

They have a reasonable expectation that their phone should work, and not wake them up at 3 am with nonsense that does not apply to them.  

Is there any chance we will solve this age old question today? Are individual rights more important than the common good?

But there are some from whom we do not expect a consideration for the common good:

When people forget that common good is based on individual rights, and ignore them pretending they doing it "for common good" - it never ends well.

@JackQuint wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

What an assinine post.

For people who cannot calculate risks and prefer to kill hundred people rather than one - yes, it looks asinine

Really? You have empirical evidence from a peer reviewed study that shows that the use of the amber alert system by law enforcement has caused sleep deprivation with adverse consequences? Until you do ... it's assinine.

There is plenty of such studies about summer time shift. This intrusion is way more intense than that. If you're prefer to ignore that - it does not means this is not exist.

And, by the way, i like your spelling. "assinine"

@Barth wrote:

Erhm! You may be in your bedroom at 3 AM, but thousands of others are moving around and able to be aware.

Do you agree that 3am is worst time for such alerts? If yes - why you defending it?

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

One of the nice things about the PM community is that it was free of the infection of ill-informed political commentary that infects so many other places. Yet, some of you have managed to turn a thread about amber alerts into just that. Give it a rest. Amber alerts are not the thin edge of the wedge into government overreach, no one is trampling on our rights as individuals, this is not the end of freedom in our society. Nor is it a basis for the junk science speculation from the OP about how the alert system is inducing widespread industrial accidents and calamities on our roads. 

Simply put: if it saves one life, it's a good thing. 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@DragonRU wrote:

... that common good is based on individual rights ...

I think perhaps your sleep deprivation has affected your reasoning powers.

Also (in a subsequent post) you said, "Do you agree that 3am is worst time for such alerts?"

No, I will not agree with that. I have been driving for work plenty of times at 3 AM. I have also been trying to sleep at 3 PM, and been woken by a firetruck that turned on its siren by my home. Talk about alarming. 

But I accept that it is for the common good.

Hope you sleep tonight.

@Barth 

ya, well most people are sound asleep at that time, so whatever

@CellGirl wrote:

ya, well most people are sound asleep at that time, so whatever

The idea that ostriches bury their heads in the sand is a myth because doing so would cause them to asphyxiate. Today I learned that some people don't let the lack of oxygen get in the way of a heartfelt 'whatever'.

@Barth 

funny dood

@RossN wrote:

Hi I hope all you naysayers or your families never need the service I sincerely mean that!Smiley Frustrated

There is a difference between the general and the specific.  In general, alerts are a good thing. Specifically, the system as implemented was not thought through and is too broad.  It will alienate people rather than encourage them to action. 

@JackQuint wrote:

Simply put: if it saves one life, it's a good thing. 

And out come the cliches!  It's easy to save lives and we could do a better job of it if we really wanted to do so: lower speed limits, dedicated cycle lanes, etc. etc. So why don't we do that stuff?  Amber alerts are an easy solution to a questionable problem. Implementing this system makes the powers-that-be feel good.  Look at us, look what we've done to help ..... And the beauty of this from a government perspective is that the costs are dumped onto consumers and it's not called a tax.