Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Amber Alert opt-out

@mh1983

good to know! I'll have to swap my sim to my Passport periodically  Smiley Wink

@CellGirl wrote:

@LovesToPM 

That's awesome! So when I switch to a 3G plan, I shouldn't receive those alerts :-)

No, that's not how it is.  The emergency alert system messages being received has to do with the type of network that you're connected to.  You can disable LTE on your device even if you have a full-speed LTE plan and choose to use the "3g" network.

All Public Mobile plans, whether it's a full-speed LTE plan or something that Public Mobile calls "3g", have access to both "3g" and LTE networks.

@shskr 

exactly...who's going to jump in their car and cruise the streets looking for little Billy at 3am?  ridiculous 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@CellGirl wrote:

exactly...who's going to jump in their car and cruise the streets looking for little Billy at 3am?  ridiculous 

61354a182695c25cb82bafa60bbfca58.jpg

Erhm! You may be in your bedroom at 3 AM, but thousands of others are moving around and able to be aware.

Highlighted
Zy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Pretty much that’s what I do even though I have LTE speed I just turn it off and use 3G speed, can’t really tell much difference honestly. Since then I never got a amber alart 

Mayor / Maire

Hi I hope all you naysayers or your families never need the service I sincerely mean that!Smiley Frustrated

Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

@CellGirl wrote:

@LovesToPM 

That's awesome! So when I switch to a 3G plan, I shouldn't receive those alerts :-)

No, that's not how it is.  The emergency alert system messages being received has to do with the type of network that you're connected to.  You can disable LTE on your device even if you have a full-speed LTE plan and choose to use the "3g" network.

All Public Mobile plans, whether it's a full-speed LTE plan or something that Public Mobile calls "3g", have access to both "3g" and LTE networks.

@Alan_K as promised, I'm tagging you yet again because here is another instance where calling your throttled LTE plans "3G" is leading to confusion and misunderstanding.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@stonechucker wrote:

@bridonca wrote:

I await the lawsuit against Public Mobile not offering real 3G as advertised and all it's advantages!  Smiley Very Happy

I am fortunate to be in an area that has little need for Amber alerts.   So this is a non issue for me.  By law, you should be able to get Amber alerts disabled.  I am sure it will be worked on if the alert continues to be used in such an indiscriminant fashion.   As an example, there is no reason for it to be blaring, it can vibrate.

@bridonca, where are you getting your information?  The mandate is to provide this AlertReady, service which includes Amber Alerts to call LTE Enabled devices that are compatible on their networks.  There is no Opt-Out option for consumers.

The 3G Speed plans are still LTE provided, so whether you have a 3G Speed plan at Public Mobile, or the full 4G LTE unthrottled service, by default you will get the notification.  The only ways to not get it are turn off your phone, or force your device to NOT USE LTE.  This is a device setting.

Though it looks like I insinuated there was a law in place, that was not my intention, and a poor choice of words on my part.  I have no idea what the law is on this, but my opinion is that there should, by law, be an opt out system.   Forcing a system on anyone that is in no position to do anything (sleeping) is a piss poor system, that should have had a lot more testing before it was implemented.   You got a whole pile of people clogging the 911 lines because of this.   Instead of blaming the user,  more thought should be put into making the system work properly.  

As for changing the phone to 3G, if you know how to do that, that is a non issue.  Most people I know do not know how to do that.  They have a reasonable expectation that their phone should work, and not wake them up at 3 am with nonsense that does not apply to them.  They do know how to call 911 though. 

Mayor / Maire

@bridonca wrote:

They have a reasonable expectation that their phone should work, and not wake them up at 3 am with nonsense that does not apply to them. 

@bridonca unfortunately, they'd probably have to go off the grid for this.  This [amber alerts] is a fact of life in modern society and one we're going to have to learn how to deal with.  

As a somewhat amusing (but sitll fairly true) aside:  I find that the majority of the notifications I get on my phone (at any time of the day) are nonsense that does not apply to me!

EDIT: back to a serious note:  if it was your child or elderly parent or <other vulnerable person you care about> that was at risk, would you not be happy to make the trade off of waking and annoying people that won't be able to help if there's even a remote possibility that it can help safely locate your loved one, if someone that reads it and cares happesn to cross paths with them?  Take a few moments and really think about this.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@bridonca wrote:

They have a reasonable expectation that their phone should work, and not wake them up at 3 am with nonsense that does not apply to them.  

Is there any chance we will solve this age old question today? Are individual rights more important than the common good?

But there are some from whom we do not expect a consideration for the common good:

p_101528432.jpg