cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amber Alert opt-out

DragonRU
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Today at 3am we got an AMBER alert about abduction that happened around 3pm, what is even worse - that alert was repeated at 4am. Only thing it proves - that persons that developed that system, and person who make a decision about issuing alert are both terrible incompetent - because this alert won't help to find that child, but seriously damages public health instead. 

Unfortuantely, it is not possible to opt-out on personal level, because those alerts are sent as presidentional level alerts, which is a terrible misuse of system. But it would be possible to do it on the provider level, or even completely skip those alerts, like Koodo is doing. So my question and suggestion is - can Public Mobile do something about this issue?

74 REPLIES 74

Zy

Pretty much that’s what I do even though I have LTE speed I just turn it off and use 3G speed, can’t really tell much difference honestly. Since then I never got a amber alart 

Barth
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@CellGirl wrote:

exactly...who's going to jump in their car and cruise the streets looking for little Billy at 3am?  ridiculous 

61354a182695c25cb82bafa60bbfca58.jpg

Erhm! You may be in your bedroom at 3 AM, but thousands of others are moving around and able to be aware.

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@shskr 

exactly...who's going to jump in their car and cruise the streets looking for little Billy at 3am?  ridiculous 

@CellGirl wrote:

@LovesToPM 

That's awesome! So when I switch to a 3G plan, I shouldn't receive those alerts 🙂

No, that's not how it is.  The emergency alert system messages being received has to do with the type of network that you're connected to.  You can disable LTE on your device even if you have a full-speed LTE plan and choose to use the "3g" network.

All Public Mobile plans, whether it's a full-speed LTE plan or something that Public Mobile calls "3g", have access to both "3g" and LTE networks.

CellGirl

@mh1983

good to know! I'll have to swap my sim to my Passport periodically  😉

CellGirl

@LovesToPM 

That's awesome! So when I switch to a 3G plan, I shouldn't receive those alerts 🙂

jimbobs

From the Alert Ready website:

"When an alert is heard, it is the responsibility of the public to stop, listen and respond as directed by the Government Issuer."

This definitely has the potential for government overreach into our private lives.  

jimbobs

This is indeed a complex topic and a debate between the rights of the individual, protection of children and police and/or government intrusion into our lives.

In general, I feel an alert system is a good thing but I feel the current implementation is heavy handed.  The obnoxious sound as well the message itself is, in my opinion, overkill.  It should be possible to mute the sound between certain hours or completely.  And, was it really necessary to send out two messages? Surely, the first message was enough.

Sure, as others have stated, you can switch your phone off at night, or, switch LTE off but both of these options place the onus on the recipient rather than the sender.  

At present, the system is being used for suspected child abductions but what happens when it is used for other public service warnings like fire and flood.  As we know from the proliferation of silly and/or mistaken calls to 911, the use of the system will only increase over time.  

@bridonca wrote:

I await the lawsuit against Public Mobile not offering real 3G as advertised and all it's advantages!  😄

I am fortunate to be in an area that has little need for Amber alerts.   So this is a non issue for me.  By law, you should be able to get Amber alerts disabled.  I am sure it will be worked on if the alert continues to be used in such an indiscriminant fashion.   As an example, there is no reason for it to be blaring, it can vibrate.

@bridonca, where are you getting your information?  The mandate is to provide this AlertReady, service which includes Amber Alerts to call LTE Enabled devices that are compatible on their networks.  There is no Opt-Out option for consumers.

The 3G Speed plans are still LTE provided, so whether you have a 3G Speed plan at Public Mobile, or the full 4G LTE unthrottled service, by default you will get the notification.  The only ways to not get it are turn off your phone, or force your device to NOT USE LTE.  This is a device setting.

JackQuint

@DragonRU wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

What an assinine post.

For people who cannot calculate risks and prefer to kill hundred people rather than one - yes, it looks asinine

Really? You have empirical evidence from a peer reviewed study that shows that the use of the amber alert system by law enforcement has caused sleep deprivation with adverse consequences? Until you do ... it's assinine.

DragonRU

@bridonca wrote:

By law, you should be able to get Amber alerts disabled.  I am sure it will be worked on if the alert continues to be used in such an indiscriminant fashion.   As an example, there is no reason for it to be blaring, it can vibrate.

How system designed, with 3 levels of alerts, it should be possible to disable them. But idiots in the government decide that all alert should be broadcasted as top level, which was designed for dangers that are life-treatening for everybody, not just single person. I not sure if this problem can be resolved on provider level, but it worth to try.

bridonca

I await the lawsuit against Public Mobile not offering real 3G as advertised and all it's advantages!  😄

I am fortunate to be in an area that has little need for Amber alerts.   So this is a non issue for me.  By law, you should be able to get Amber alerts disabled.  I am sure it will be worked on if the alert continues to be used in such an indiscriminant fashion.   As an example, there is no reason for it to be blaring, it can vibrate.

@DragonRU, testing STARTED last year, and many people were not receiving the alerts, even the test alerts.  If you had a different phone without LTE, you would not have received it on any carrier, as the alerts are ONLY on the LTE network-attached devices via cellular carriers.

I turned on the cable box at 6 and had to read the alerts sent after the fact to me.  My cell phone got them at whatever time they were received, however, I did not hear them come in.

Stop being the victim in this.  Turn off your LTE if you do not wish to receive these alerts.

@DragonRU wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

But it would be possible to do it on the provider level, or even completely skip those alerts, like Koodo is doing. So my question and suggestion is - can Public Mobile do something about this issue?

How is Koodo allowing customers to skip emergency broadcast alerts?  It's my understanding that they're not allowed to provide such an option, although I do know that at Public Mobile, turning off LTE will result in no alerts with the siren sound coming in.

They do not allow to skip them - they just did not implemented their broadcasting, so noone recieves them.

TOTALLY INCORRECT, just like other statements you have made they are made up.  https://community.koodomobile.com/android-81490/opt-out-of-amber-alert-7793418

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Use a BlackBerry 10 device! Even when on LTE, they don't get amber alerts. Fewer apps work on them than other phones, too, so the outside world won't bother as much. 🙂 

DragonRU

@duffer900 wrote:

LOL, I enjoy your telling me to "check my facts" and you are saying Koodo does not implement the alerts.... **bleep** you are funny. Go in to their forms and see if there are any clowns like you in there crying about the alerts.. Let me know what you find.

I did use Koodo one year ago, and all those test alerts did not come to me. Maybe now they implemented it - but for now you argue against my personal experience.

DragonRU

@duffer900 wrote:

@shskr wrote:

I can see the frustration on the parents that their children are missing. But issuing and alert at 3am is pointless.

Senerio: I get an alert at 3am wake up read alert. Best I can do look outside my window to see if anyone is outside that looks like missing children. I highly doubt im getting dressed and going to look for them.

That's why my phone is off at night. Oh and I don't use my phone as an alarm clock, I bought a $10 cheap alarm clock for that.

Pleasant day, hope the kids are found.

Again, another comical post... So it was useless to you... It wasn't for the citizen that was out and saw the car and contacted the authorities. This directly led them to find a "confused" elderly person, with 2 very young kids in the car, missing for 12 hours. They were 60km's from their original point. I think people need to get out of their "me" bubbles and try to understand the big picture.

First of all, text of alert did not include car number. Second, that elderly person definitely did not turn off his phone, so he could be located by it (and most likely was). I think people need to stop virtue signalling and see whole picture, with dangers and benefits of each decision.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DragonRU wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

But it would be possible to do it on the provider level, or even completely skip those alerts, like Koodo is doing. So my question and suggestion is - can Public Mobile do something about this issue?

How is Koodo allowing customers to skip emergency broadcast alerts?  It's my understanding that they're not allowed to provide such an option, although I do know that at Public Mobile, turning off LTE will result in no alerts with the siren sound coming in.

They do not allow to skip them - they just did not implemented their broadcasting, so noone recieves them.

LOL, I enjoy your telling me to "check my facts" and you are saying Koodo does not implement the alerts.... **bleep** you are funny. Go in to their forms and see if there are any clowns like you in there crying about the alerts.. Let me know what you find.

@DragonRU wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

I'm not a Koodo customer, so I can't test.  However Koodo was required to implement the system.  I can't see how or why Koodo would not have when both Telus and Public have.

DragonRU

@computergeek541 wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

With LTE off, my iPhones get no alerts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@DragonRU wrote:

DragonRU

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

What an assinine post.

For people who cannot calculate risks and prefer to kill hundred people rather than one - yes, it looks asinine

Are you saying 100 people are going to die today because an alarm went off at 3am?  I was a volunteer firefighter for 12 years and we were on pager and woken up in the middle of the night more times than I can count and I can say we never had anyone die the next day because of sleep deprivation.

I can't believe that so many people are complaining about a safety issue.  So it goes out at 3 am not much you could do right then but there might have been something during the day that just wasn't right or seemed a bit off but you carried on with your day.  This notification could be related through a car you saw or people while you were out during the day.  These notifications are to save childrens lives.  To make claims that saving one life with an alert will cost 100 lives from heart attacks and sleep deprived drivers is absolutely rediculous

I multiplied both parts of equation to 1000 to make problem more visible. I assume there is chance close to 0.1% that this amber laert would save life, and 10% chance that it takes life. There is many people with weak health that receive this alert, so it pretty likely someone can die from it. Also, about sleep deprivation - there is statistically noticeable increase in car accidents after switching to light time. This amber alert was way more intrusive than one-hour time change, so effect would be much higher.

So 10% chance that someone dies as result of this alert is very conservative estimation. Also, I think that alert is completely useless in finding this child. What people at 3AM would do? Just turn alert off and go sleep again. So my estimate of 0.1% is very generous. But 10% vs 0.1% is 100 times difference I spoke about

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@shskr wrote:

I can see the frustration on the parents that their children are missing. But issuing and alert at 3am is pointless.

Senerio: I get an alert at 3am wake up read alert. Best I can do look outside my window to see if anyone is outside that looks like missing children. I highly doubt im getting dressed and going to look for them.

That's why my phone is off at night. Oh and I don't use my phone as an alarm clock, I bought a $10 cheap alarm clock for that.

Again, another comical post... So it was useless to you... It wasn't for the citizen that was out and saw the car and contacted the authorities. This directly led them to find a "confused" elderly person, with 2 very young kids in the car, missing for 12 hours. They were 60km's from their original point. I think people need to get out of their "me" bubbles and try to understand the big picture.

@DragonRU wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

What an assinine post.

Are you saying 100 people are going to die today because an alarm went off at 3am?  I was a volunteer firefighter for 12 years and we were on pager and woken up in the middle of the night more times than I can count and I can say we never had anyone die the next day because of sleep deprivation.

I can't believe that so many people are complaining about a safety issue.  So it goes out at 3 am not much you could do right then but there might have been something during the day that just wasn't right or seemed a bit off but you carried on with your day.  This notification could be related through a car you saw or people while you were out during the day.  These notifications are to save childrens lives.  To make claims that saving one life with an alert will cost 100 lives from heart attacks and sleep deprived drivers is absolutely rediculous

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@DragonRU, Public Mobile cannot do anything about this.

A short term solution >> Turn off LTE.

Depending on which phone you have

Android settings > Network mode > select GSM/WCDMA auto

iPhone settings > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE > disable

Your phone will still function for calls, texts and data.

@DragonRU wrote:

@duffer900 wrote:

'll say it one more time... slower... the grandfather, and kids, were found, as a direct result of a call from a citizen that got the amber alert....

Any proofs of this claim? Especially because it was possible to tag granfather location by his phone, and because he definitely was one of top versions to check. Pretty obvious that both those steps are not related to amber alert at all.

@DragonRU, firstly, if you wish to stop getting these alerts TURN OFF your LTE services, and FORCE 3G only connection on your device.  This is the only option to OPT-OUT.

Carriers are mandated to issues these alerts.  Meaning no ability to STOP THEM.

Another way is to get an old fashioned radio alarm clock and turn off your phone at night.

As of 6 am when I was watching the news, the police confirmed the Grandfather became confused, and lost, and did not know where to go.  The alerts allow someone in the Toronto area to see the car and notify the police.

This essentially was 3 missing people from 3 pm YESTERDAY without contact.  Did grandfather have a phone?  Maybe, or did the battery die? possible.

DragonRU

@duffer900 wrote:

'll say it one more time... slower... the grandfather, and kids, were found, as a direct result of a call from a citizen that got the amber alert....

Any proofs of this claim? Especially because it was possible to tag granfather location by his phone, and because he definitely was one of top versions to check. Pretty obvious that both those steps are not related to amber alert at all.

shskr

DragonRU

@JackQuint wrote:

What an assinine post.

Need Help? Let's chat.