cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Amber Alert opt-out

@geopublic  I have an alarm clock on my phone, and I do not want to turn off phone eveny night only because an idiot does not know how to propertly use this system

@Melissa-H77 There is way higher chances that this alert causes someone to die because of heart attack, or in car accident caused by sleep deprivation. Think about those possible deaths. Also, it is extremely unlikely that person who sleeping at 3AM can somehow help to resolve this issue, and if person is awake, text message would be enough. Presidential level alerts are not designed for this type of situations.

@duffer900 wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

because this alert won't help to find that child, but seriously damages public health instead. 

The Children were found as a direct result of the Amber Alert....

Completely false. Childern were with his grandfather

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DragonRU wrote:

@Melissa-H77 There is way higher chances that this alert causes someone to die because of heart attack, or in car accident caused by sleep deprivation. Think about those possible deaths. Also, it is extremely unlikely that person who sleeping at 3AM can somehow help to resolve this issue, and if person is awake, text message would be enough. Presidential level alerts are not designed for this type of situations.

What an assinine post.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DragonRU wrote:

@duffer900 wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

because this alert won't help to find that child, but seriously damages public health instead. 

The Children were found as a direct result of the Amber Alert....

Completely false. Childern were with his grandfather

I'll say it one more time... slower... the grandfather, and kids, were found, as a direct result of a call from a citizen that got the amber alert.... Not sure what your statement has to do with this fact... That is all I am going to say about this, you can go back under your rock now.

@JackQuint wrote:

What an assinine post.

For people who cannot calculate risks and prefer to kill hundred people rather than one - yes, it looks asinine

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I can see the frustration on the parents that their children are missing. But issuing and alert at 3am is pointless.

Senerio: I get an alert at 3am wake up read alert. Best I can do look outside my window to see if anyone is outside that looks like missing children. I highly doubt im getting dressed and going to look for them.

That's why my phone is off at night. Oh and I don't use my phone as an alarm clock, I bought a $10 cheap alarm clock for that.

Pleasant day, hope the kids are found.

@duffer900 wrote:

'll say it one more time... slower... the grandfather, and kids, were found, as a direct result of a call from a citizen that got the amber alert....

Any proofs of this claim? Especially because it was possible to tag granfather location by his phone, and because he definitely was one of top versions to check. Pretty obvious that both those steps are not related to amber alert at all.

@DragonRU wrote:

@duffer900 wrote:

'll say it one more time... slower... the grandfather, and kids, were found, as a direct result of a call from a citizen that got the amber alert....

Any proofs of this claim? Especially because it was possible to tag granfather location by his phone, and because he definitely was one of top versions to check. Pretty obvious that both those steps are not related to amber alert at all.

@DragonRU, firstly, if you wish to stop getting these alerts TURN OFF your LTE services, and FORCE 3G only connection on your device.  This is the only option to OPT-OUT.

Carriers are mandated to issues these alerts.  Meaning no ability to STOP THEM.

Another way is to get an old fashioned radio alarm clock and turn off your phone at night.

As of 6 am when I was watching the news, the police confirmed the Grandfather became confused, and lost, and did not know where to go.  The alerts allow someone in the Toronto area to see the car and notify the police.

This essentially was 3 missing people from 3 pm YESTERDAY without contact.  Did grandfather have a phone?  Maybe, or did the battery die? possible.

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DragonRU, Public Mobile cannot do anything about this.

A short term solution >> Turn off LTE.

Depending on which phone you have

Android settings > Network mode > select GSM/WCDMA auto

iPhone settings > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE > disable

Your phone will still function for calls, texts and data.