cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amber Alert opt-out

DragonRU
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Today at 3am we got an AMBER alert about abduction that happened around 3pm, what is even worse - that alert was repeated at 4am. Only thing it proves - that persons that developed that system, and person who make a decision about issuing alert are both terrible incompetent - because this alert won't help to find that child, but seriously damages public health instead. 

Unfortuantely, it is not possible to opt-out on personal level, because those alerts are sent as presidentional level alerts, which is a terrible misuse of system. But it would be possible to do it on the provider level, or even completely skip those alerts, like Koodo is doing. So my question and suggestion is - can Public Mobile do something about this issue?

74 REPLIES 74

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DragonRU wrote:

@duffer900 wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

because this alert won't help to find that child, but seriously damages public health instead. 

The Children were found as a direct result of the Amber Alert....

Completely false. Childern were with his grandfather

I'll say it one more time... slower... the grandfather, and kids, were found, as a direct result of a call from a citizen that got the amber alert.... Not sure what your statement has to do with this fact... That is all I am going to say about this, you can go back under your rock now.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DragonRU wrote:

@Melissa-H77 There is way higher chances that this alert causes someone to die because of heart attack, or in car accident caused by sleep deprivation. Think about those possible deaths. Also, it is extremely unlikely that person who sleeping at 3AM can somehow help to resolve this issue, and if person is awake, text message would be enough. Presidential level alerts are not designed for this type of situations.

What an assinine post.

DragonRU

@duffer900 wrote:

@DragonRU wrote:

because this alert won't help to find that child, but seriously damages public health instead. 

Completely false. Childern were with his grandfather

DragonRU

@Melissa-H77 There is way higher chances that this alert causes someone to die because of heart attack, or in car accident caused by sleep deprivation. Think about those possible deaths. Also, it is extremely unlikely that person who sleeping at 3AM can somehow help to resolve this issue, and if person is awake, text message would be enough. Presidential level alerts are not designed for this type of situations.

DragonRU

@geopublic  I have an alarm clock on my phone, and I do not want to turn off phone eveny night only because an idiot does not know how to propertly use this system

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I can understand the fustration,  these amber alerts probably work best when people are awake not in the middle of the night.  so maybe some better guidelines need to be created for when they are sent.  on the flip side what if it was a family member of yours.

nothing that PM can do crtc as mentioned is best option o have your voice heard

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@DragonRU wrote:

Melissa-H77

I can understand the frustration of being woken up and there are ways to prevent your phone from going off in the middle of the night. But as a parent, if there is a slightest chance that these alerts could help find these missing children, do you not feel that is it worth the interrupted sleep? Think about what these parents are going through and have a little compassion. 

DragonRU

As i mentioned in intial post, I cannot to do it as client, but provider can either add this option, or just completely ignote those alert and not broadcast them. Those alerts are so heavily misused, that currently it would be a best option.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@DragonRU  Nobody is stopping you from turning your phone off  are they?

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Pretty much only the police can issue an amber alert. They have criteria that need to be met before they issue one. Presumably those criteria weren't met until the early hours of the morning.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

I feel your fustration. One option is to turn off LTE. You need to be on LTE to receive Amber Alerts in Canada.

You can find more info here: https://www.alertready.ca/wireless/

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@DragonRUNothing Public Mobile can do.. However you can make it known to CRTC which regulates these things.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Beginning in April 2018, TELUS and all Canadian wireless service providers will be required to broadcast emergency alerts received from alerting authorities directly to consumers’ WPA compatible wireless devices using Cell Broadcast distribution. Wireless service providers will only receive and broadcast alerts that are issued for threat-to-life situations.

You cannot opt out of receiving threat-to-life emergency alerts.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/alertready

Need Help? Let's chat.