cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amber Alert. Ma5 2020

wlgeurts
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So Mar 5 amber alert goes of. So I acknowledge this alert, So I acknowledged this alert for everytime it come onit keeps on going of. So I shut the phone of. So everytime I turn the phone on I keep getting the alerts. It just does not stop. No matter how often I press the OK. SO the phone has become completely useless. I have turned the notifications on every app off, excet for the Calendar, the telephone and the text. Why do I have to put up with a useless phone that has been taken over by amber alerts.

16 REPLIES 16

Obice
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@amanda19 wrote:

Maybe try taking the sim card out and putting it bak in. Or even resetting the phone completely. 

This won't do much, the phone needs to the SIM to get the alert. Resetting the phone will only serve in data loss and still receiving the alerts after.

amanda19
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Maybe try taking the sim card out and putting it bak in. Or even resetting the phone completely. 

Obice

@Korth wrote:

Consumer SMS/MMS apps all comply with SMS-CB protocols. I've searched exhaustively and found no exceptions on the online app stores so I'm guessing it's probably a legal mandate.

The only other options are to download pre-modded apps from the festering pits of the internet (asking for trouble once you install dirty runcode, so good luck with that) ... or to make your own modded app from clean opensource.

https://github.com/signalapp

Guess I'm boned, I'm running a modded version of android 9. Man SurprisedSmiley Frustrated

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Consumer SMS/MMS apps all comply with SMS-CB protocols. I've searched exhaustively and found no exceptions on the online app stores so I'm guessing it's probably a legal mandate.

The only other options are to download pre-modded apps from the festering pits of the internet (asking for trouble once you install dirty runcode, so good luck with that) ... or to make your own modded app from clean opensource.

https://github.com/signalapp

Obice

With 5G on the rise, they will eventually kill off 3G altogether, so all networks will be on 4G/LTE and 5G will become the next LTE variant that costs what 4G/LTE did when it came out and 4G/LTE will cost what 3G does now.

My point is just that you can turn your 3G on for now till they decide to cut you off.

Blast from the past, if you will... (what you are looking at are the prices)

https://www.fido.ca/cms/pdf/brochures/BROCHURE_IPHONE_JULY_EN.pdf

wlgeurts

I don't have the choice to turn LTE off. It stopped when I changed it to 3G, so now I will be on 4 G and when an alert comes (Which I do not mind getting) I can switch to 3G until after the alert is done.

@Obice wrote:

I don't think they can be turned off entirely.

Sure, they can. The message right above yours by @will13am links to a discussion about how to accomplish this. If you tell your phone to not connect to LTE networks, you will never receive any of these alerts.

So you are saying you powered the phone off and continued getting alerts? Doesn't seem possible. How many seperate alerts were there? Couldn't really be that many could there though yes, if in the middle of the night it would be annoying. I have to assume "phone completely useless" is a bit of an over exaggeration? At least they seem to be fine tuning the area down now, not everyone in Canada is getting them all.

AE_Collector

Obice

I don't think they can be turned off entirely.

They want you to see these since they are emergencies.

I turned my phone on and off a lot today and each time I got a pop up alert. I pressed OK each time and that was that.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@wlgeurts wrote:

So Mar 5 amber alert goes of. So I acknowledge this alert, So I acknowledged this alert for everytime it come onit keeps on going of. So I shut the phone of. So everytime I turn the phone on I keep getting the alerts. It just does not stop. No matter how often I press the OK. SO the phone has become completely useless. I have turned the notifications on every app off, excet for the Calendar, the telephone and the text. Why do I have to put up with a useless phone that has been taken over by amber alerts.

This topic has been discussed before.  Amber alerts can be suppressed by forcing 3G connection.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Ready-alert-system-to-3G-plans/m-p/32...

wlgeurts
When I removed the sim, the alert did not come back. After installing the sim, the alerts came back and keep on coming back.

wlgeurts

Android

wlgeurts

Have not tried that yet

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@wlgeurts try this solution here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Did-anyone-get-the-AMBER-alert-last-night...

Especially the part about  alert reminder timing.

Lar

@wlgeurts   Android or Apple?

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@wlgeurts wrote:

@wlgeurts What happens if you turn on phone without SIM or with SIM of other provider? Same?

Need Help? Let's chat.