cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice/opinions about my plan please

smannen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've been a PM customer for several years. I've searched for answers with conflicting results. I've also private messaged with a moderator that was confusing and ultimately unanswered.

90 day plan. $111/month before rewards discounts.

• - 3 Choices with Provincial Talk
  • - 3GB Data
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

My plan details doesn't state if it's 4G or 3G so I'm guessing it is 4G/LTE. Is that correct?

I'm considering switching to the new $25/month plan.

I'm aware of 3G throttling but if my current plan does have 4G, I've read that 4G is considered golden and should be kept.

Is it worth switching my plan?

A couple of years ago I changed my plan effective at renewal in advance and I was without service for 2-3 days at the renewal time until I could find a moderator to fix it. Nothing wrong with my credit card, just a simple plan change. I still don't know why it happened. I've read there can be a bug in the system. If I do decide to change my plan in advance effective at renewal, how can I avoid that from happening again?

Thanks to everyone in advance and bravos go to those who have seasoned experience and solid answers.

13 REPLIES 13

Kim1971kim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would just go for it it will be way cheaper and I hope that doesn’t happen again

jrex
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I would switch. $111 vs $25 is a pretty big difference.

Honestly, the 3G doesn't bother me, but I'm on wifi so often it really isn't a big deal. I'm able to look things up on the go, which is why I have data.

I let my grandfathered plan shut down and grabbed a new plan... upgraded Province-wide to Canada-wide, downgraded Data from 4G to 3G, lowered the Plan cost from bill from $30 to $25.

Capped data performance never bothers me. It's enough for YouTube/Netflix (at 1080 most times, at 720 some times if bad service area), it has no real impact on my music, browsing, email, and gps stuff. I use desktop/laptop on broadband when real data performance (and real data capacities) are needed, anyhow.

I can't imagine why the performance advantage of LTE vs 3G is so "golden" when, realistically, if you actually need and use that performance advantage you'll burn through your whole GB in just one or two hours. So I didn't treasure my 4G enough to stay with a lesser plan which costs more. 

@smannen wrote:

I know about the cost difference and the plan difference and weighing the pros and cons is tough. Once it's gone, it's gone for good.

I don't steam videos etc.

5G is coming soon. Is 4G worth keeping now for the future?

Why should I pay $111 now if I'm downgrading my plan on autopay?

It is because downgrading the plan can cause auto pay issues.  If you pre top up the $111, the downgrade on renewal will not fail and cause a service disruption.  You will end up with funds in the account for future renewals.  Alternatively, you can contact the moderators and tell them to assist in the downgrade.  

smannen

I know about the cost difference and the plan difference and weighing the pros and cons is tough. Once it's gone, it's gone for good.

I don't steam videos etc.

5G is coming soon. Is 4G worth keeping now for the future?

Why should I pay $111 now if I'm downgrading my plan on autopay?

@smannen wrote:

Thank you. I'am aware of the $25 plan details. I'm thinking of the future with my 4G, as a good Grandfather should, versus what currently is.

Your grandfathered plan is way overpriced and not worth hanging onto.  I am also on a 90 day grandfathered plan but I get 12GB over 90 days for $120 before rewards.  I will not give up my plan to get 1GB more per month and lose the advantage of full LTE speed.  If you switch to the in market 1GB plan you save $12 per month which is significant.  If I were in your position, I would go for the savings.  

@smannen wrote:

Thank you. I'am aware of the $25 plan details. I'm thinking of the future with my 4G, as a good Grandfather should, versus what currently is.

If you would like more data, also think about the $40 plan for 4.5GB+500MB.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@smannen  You plan is costing you $37 per 30 days. The advantages are 4G data and 3 GB of data spread accross 90 days instead of 1GB every 30 days. Disadvantage is that it only has Provincial calling instead of Canada wide. You can always add the 500 minute Canada talk for $5.

It's up for you to decide. If you do decide to switch my advice is to schedule the plan change but fund your account with $111 to avoid any hickups with AP and/or renewal issues.

@smannen 

Your grandfathered plan is decent, but not the best grandfathered plan that Public mobile offered in the past.  Paying $37 per 30 days for 1 GB data and province wide calling.  Unless your needs require LTE speeds, probably better to switch.  For most daily use of data (ie surfing web, you tube), you won't notice a big difference.  

However, if you were on the $120 for 4 GB LTE data per month grandfathered plan, I would probably keep that plan.  

smannen

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@smannen 

Your plan is 4G.  Most people won't notice a big difference between 3G versus 4G.  If you do switch, you will not be able to get your old grandfathered plan back though.  

Since you are lowering the price of the plan, some people would recommend do a plan immediately a day before renewal.  Otherwise, there is a potential glitch when your plan will not renew to lower price plan.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@smannen wrote:

I've been a PM customer for several years. I've searched for answers with conflicting results. I've also private messaged with a moderator that was confusing and ultimately unanswered.

90 day plan. $111/month before rewards discounts.

• - 3 Choices with Provincial Talk
  • - 3GB Data
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - Unlimited Provincial Talk

My plan details doesn't state if it's 4G or 3G so I'm guessing it is 4G/LTE. Is that correct?  Correct

I'm considering switching to the new $25/month plan.

I'm aware of 3G throttling but if my current plan does have 4G, I've read that 4G is considered golden and should be kept.

Is it worth switching my plan?  If you do alot of streaming movies or music...keep it. Otherwise no noticeable difference.

A couple of years ago I changed my plan effective at renewal in advance and I was without service for 2-3 days at the renewal time until I could find a moderator to fix it. Nothing wrong with my credit card, just a simple plan change. I still don't know why it happened. I've read there can be a bug in the system. If I do decide to change my plan in advance effective at renewal, how can I avoid that from happening again?  Long as you have a valid credit card on your account, should be a seamless transition.

Thanks to everyone in advance and bravos go to those who have seasoned experience and solid answers.

Have a look at the $25 plan to replace yours. Canada wide calling, International texting and lotsa 3G data. ....did I mention it was $25 for 30 days !!

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@smannen your plan is 4g LTE

Need Help? Let's chat.