cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate from outside Canada

i_mocanu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, everyone!

I have a couple of phones with Videotron (unlocked), and I'm currently outside of the country. As my current provider doesn't offer suspensions, I'd like to transfer to Public Mobile as soon as possible ($$...). 

Can I activate the SIM cards and transfer my numbers without having to place the SIMs (I'll have shipped to my Canadian address) into the phones (which are with me, outside of the country)?

I don't mind not receiving calls/texts for the time I am away and can smooth out any details when I get back; I just want to keep my numbers, and transfer them to PM asap.

(There is also an additional unlocked phone at the shipping address that could be used to activate the SIMs, but that phone is not the same model as the two others- which, I have checked, should work with PM).

Thank you so very much for your replies! 

3 REPLIES 3

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@i_mocanu be careful. Videotron is running the same networks as Wind (main) and Rogers (secondary). Public uses an entirely different network so your hardware may not be compatible.

You can transfer number once SIMs are received (mandatory for number port) 

@i_mocanu Suggest you activate your SIM with a temporary number first. Later that day, or the next, log into your account and request the port on the Change Number tab under Plans & Add-ons.

Wind is notoriously slow porting numbers so give yourself some leeway as your account must remain active until transfer is complete. 

As noted, you do not need to put the SIM into a phone to activate it. On the other hand, whoever has the phone can test it while you are en route in case there is an issue.

Let us know if you need any additional information.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @i_mocanu

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

To answer to your questions: 

Yes, you can activate the SIM cards without testing them on your phone, all you will need is the SIM cards numbers. You will then need to activate the SIM cards online, pay for the plan you wish to get and you will have the option to directly port your number with us.

Please let us know, for any other questions. 

Thanks,

Shazia 

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.
Need Help? Let's chat.